OREMUS: 25 September 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Sep 24 17:00:00 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Tuesday, September 25, 2007
Lancelot Andrewes, Bishop of Winchester, Spiritual Writer, 1626

you protect the poor and defend the just;
in your kingdom, the last becomes first,
the gentle are strong,
and the lowly are exalted.

As the deer longs for the water-brooks,*
 so longs my soul for you, O God.
My soul is athirst for God, athirst for the living God;*
 when shall I come to appear before the presence of God?
My tears have been my food day and night,*
 while all day long they say to me,
   'Where now is your God?'
I pour out my soul when I think on these things:*
 how I went with the multitude
   and led them into the house of God,
With the voice of praise and thanksgiving,*
 among those who keep holy-day.
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.
My soul is heavy within me;*
 therefore I will remember you from the land of Jordan,
   and from the peak of Mizar among the heights of Hermon.
One deep calls to another in the noise of your cataracts;*
 all your rapids and floods have gone over me.
The Lord grants his loving-kindness in the daytime;*
 in the night season his song is with me,
   a prayer to the God of my life.
I will say to the God of my strength,
   'Why have you forgotten me?*
 and why do I go so heavily
   while the enemy oppresses me?'
While my bones are being broken,*
 my enemies mock me to my face;
All day long they mock me*
 say to me, 'Where now is your God?'
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

Psalm 43

Give judgement for me, O God,
   and defend my cause against an ungodly people;*
 deliver me from the deceitful and the wicked.
For you are the God of my strength;
   why have you put me from you?*
 and why do I go so heavily
   while the enemy oppresses me?
Send out your light and your truth,
   that they may lead me,*
 and bring me to your holy hill
   and to your dwelling;
That I may go to the altar of God,
   to the God of my joy and gladness;*
 and on the harp I will give thanks to you,
   O God my God.
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

A Song of Baruch (Baruch 5.5,6c,7-9

Arise, O Jerusalem, stand upon the height:
look to the east and see your children,

Gathered from the west and the east
at the word of the Holy One.

They rejoice that God has remembered them
and has brought them back to you.

For God has ordered that every high mountain
and the everlasting hills be made low,

And the valleys filled up to make level ground
so that they may walk safely in the glory of God.

The woods and every fragrant tree
have shaded them at God's command.

For God will lead his people with joy
in the light of his glory
with the mercy and righteousness that comes from God.

FIRST READING [Ezra 6:1-8, 12-19]:

Then King Darius made a decree, and they searched the
archives where the documents were stored in Babylon. But
it was in Ecbatana, the capital in the province of Media,
that a scroll was found on which this was written: 'A
record. In the first year of his reign, King Cyrus issued
a decree: Concerning the house of God at Jerusalem, let
the house be rebuilt, the place where sacrifices are
offered and burnt-offerings are brought; its height shall
be sixty cubits and its width sixty cubits, with three
courses of hewn stones and one course of timber; let the
cost be paid from the royal treasury. Moreover, let the
gold and silver vessels of the house of God, which
Nebuchadnezzar took out of the temple in Jerusalem and
brought to Babylon, be restored and brought back to the
temple in Jerusalem, each to its place; you shall put
them in the house of God.'
'Now you, Tattenai, governor of the province Beyond the
River, Shethar-bozenai, and you, their associates, the
envoys in the province Beyond the River, keep away; let
the work on this house of God alone; let the governor of
the Jews and the elders of the Jews rebuild this house of
God on its site. Moreover, I make a decree regarding what
you shall do for these elders of the Jews for the
rebuilding of this house of God: the cost is to be paid
to these people, in full and without delay, from the
royal revenue, the tribute of the province Beyond the
River. May the God who has established his name there
overthrow any king or people that shall put forth a hand
to alter this, or to destroy this house of God in
Jerusalem. I, Darius, make a decree; let it be done with
all diligence.'
Then, according to the word sent by King Darius,
Tattenai, the governor of the province Beyond the River,
Shethar-bozenai, and their associates did with all
diligence what King Darius had ordered. So the elders of
the Jews built and prospered, through the prophesying of
the prophet Haggai and Zechariah son of Iddo. They
finished their building by command of the God of Israel
and by decree of Cyrus, Darius, and King Artaxerxes of
Persia; and this house was finished on the third day of
the month of Adar, in the sixth year of the reign of King
Darius.

The people of Israel, the priests and the Levites, and
the rest of the returned exiles, celebrated the
dedication of this house of God with joy. They offered at
the dedication of this house of God one hundred bulls,
two hundred rams, four hundred lambs, and as a
sin-offering for all Israel twelve male goats, according
to the number of the tribes of Israel. Then they set the
priests in their divisions and the Levites in their
courses for the service of God at Jerusalem, as it is
written in the book of Moses.
On the fourteenth day of the first month the returned
exiles kept the passover.

HYMN
Words: Margaret Clarkson (c)
Tune: Blaenwern, Nettleton

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l480.html

Lord, we hear your word with gladness:
you have spoken we rejoice:
words of love and life and freedom
help us make their truth our choice!
Now in holy celebration
for your Word we worship you;
spoken, written, known in Jesus,
ours today to prove anew.

May we hear with understanding,
by your Spirit taught and led;
may the springs of all our being
by your living Word be fed;
may our hearts accept with meekness
all the grace your light makes known;
may obedience mark our footsteps
till we make each word our own!

You have spoken; yours the fullness,
ours the wealth of this your Word:
debtors, then as living letters,
we must make our gospel heard!
By your Spirit's power transform us;
shed your saving light abroad
till our lives by love in action
show our world the truth of God!

SECOND READING [Luke 8:19-21]:

Then his mother and his brothers came to Jesus, but they could not reach him because
of the crowd. And he was told, 'Your mother and your brothers are standing outside,
wanting to see you.' But he said to them, 'My mother and my brothers are those who
hear the word of God and do it.'

Blessed art Thou, 0 Lord,
Our God, the God of our Fathers;
Who turnest the shadow of death into the morning;
and lightenest the face of the earth;
Who separatest darkness from the face of the light ;
and banishest night and bringest back the day;
Who lightenest mine eyes,
that I sleep not in death;
Who deliverest me from the terror by night,
from the pestilence that walketh in darkness;
Who drivest sleep from mine eyes,
and slumber from mine eyelids;
Who makest the outgoings of the morning
and evening to praise Thee;
because I laid me down and slept and rose up again,
for the Lord sustained me; because I waked and beheld,
and my sleep was sweet unto me.
Blot out as a thick cloud my transgressions,
and as a cloud my sins;
grant me to be a child of light, a child of the day,
to walk soberly, holily, honestly, as in the day,
vouchsafe to keep me this day without sin.
Thou who upholdest the falling and liftest the fallen,
let me not harden my heart in provocation,
  or temptation or deceitfulness of any sin.
Moreover, deliver me to-day
from the snare of the hunter
and from the noisome pestilence;
from the arrow that flieth by day,
          from the sickness that destroyeth in the noon day.
Defend this day against my evil,
against the evil of this day defend Thou me.
Let not my days be .spent in vanity,
nor my years in sorrow.
One day teileth another,
and one night certifierh another.
0 let me hear Thy loving-kindness betimes
in the morning,
for in Thee is my trust;
shew Thou me the way that I should walk in,
for I lift up my soul unto Thee.
Deliver me, 0 Lord, from mine enemies,
for I flee unto Thee.
Teach me to do the thing that pleaseth Thee, for Thou art my God:
let Thy loving Spirit 1ead me forth into the land of righteousness.
Quicken me, 0 Lord, for Thy Name's sake,
and for Thy righteousness' sake bring my soul out of trouble:
remove from me foolish imaginations,
inspire those which are good and pleasing in Thy sight.
Turn awav mine eyes lest they behold vanitv :
let mine eyes look right on,
and let mine eyelids look straight before me.
Hedge up mine ears with thorns
lest they incline to undisciplined words.
Give me early the ear to hear,
and open mine ears to the instruction of Thy oracles.
Set a watch, 0 Lord, before my mouth,
and keep the door of my lips.
Let my word be seasoned with salt,
that it may minister grace to the hearers.
Let no deed be grief unto me nor offence of heart.
Let me do some work
for which Thou wilt remember me, Lord,
for good,
and spare me according to the greatness
of Thv mercy.
Into Thine hands I commend mv spirit, soul, and body,
which Thou hast created, redeemed,
regenerated,
0 Lord, Thou God of truth:
and together with me
all mine and all that belongs to me.
Thou hast vouchsafed them to me,
Lord, in Thy goodness.
Guard us from all evil,
guard our souls,
I beseech Thee, 0 Lord.
Guard us without falling,
and place us immaculate
in the presence of Thy glory
in that day.
Guard my going out and my coming in
henceforth and for ever.
Prosper, I pray Thee, Thy servant this day, and grant him mercy
in the sight of those who meet him.
0 God, make speed to save me,
0 Lord, make haste to help me. 0 turn Thee then unto me,
and have mercy upon me;
give Thy strength unto Thy servant,
and help the son of Thine handmaid.
Show some token upon me for good,
that they who hate me may see it and be ashamed,
because Thou, Lord, hast holpen me
and comforted me. Amen.

Lord God,
who gave to Lancelot Andrewes many gifts of your Holy Spirit,
making him a man of prayer and a pastor of your people:
perfect in us that which is lacking in your gifts,
of faith, to increase it,
of hope, to establish it,
of love, to kindle it,
that we may live in the light of your grace and glory;

Give us grace to persevere in following Jesus,
in whom is the pattern of true discipleship. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

Hymn (c) 1987 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
For permission to reproduce this hymn, contact:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com

The intercession is a commendation by Lancelot Andrewes.

Lancelot Andrewes (1555-1626), Bishop of Winchester, was on the committee
of scholars that produced the King James Translation of the Bible, and
probably contributed more to that work than any other single person. It is
accordingly no surprise to find him not only a devout writer but a learned and
eloquent one, a master of English prose, and learned in Latin, Greek, Hebrew
and eighteen other languages. His sermons were popular in his own day, but
are perhaps too academic for most modern readers. He prepared for his own
use a manuscript notebook of Private Prayers, which was published after his
death. The material was apparently intended, not to be read aloud, but to serve
as a guide and stimulus to devout meditation.
What follows is a brief extract from the section for Thursday Morning. The
reader will note that he commemorates three events associated with Thursday:
(1) the creation of air and water animals (mostly birds and fish) on the Fifth
Day of Creation as described in Genesis 1; (2) the institution of the Sacrament
of the Lord's supper by Our Lord Jesus Christ on the evening before He was
crucified (Matthew 26); and (3) the Ascension of Our Lord into heaven forty
days after His resurrection (Acts 1). [James Kiefer]
COMMEMORATION
      Blessed art Thou, O Lord
      who didst bring forth of water
      moving creatures that have life,
      and whales,
      and winged fowls:
      and didst bless them,
      so as to increase and multiply.

      The things concerning the Ascension:
      Set up Thyself, O God, above the heavens
      and Thy glory above all the earth.
      By thine Ascension
      draw us withal unto Thee, O Lord,
      so as to set our affections on things above,
      and not on things on the earth.

      By the awful mystery of Thy Holy Body and Precious
      Blood in the evening of this day:
      Lord, have mercy.

      FAITH

      Coming unto God,
      I believe that He is,
      and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him:
      I know that my Redeemer liveth;
      that He is the Christ the Son of the Living God;
      that He is indeed the Saviour of the world;
      that He came into the world to save sinners,
      of whom I am chief.
      Through the grace of Jesus Christ
      we believe that we shall be saved
      even as our fathers withal.
      I believe verily to see the goodness of the Lord
      in the land of the living.

      THANKSGIVING

      O my Lord, my Lord, I thank Thee
      for that I am,
          that I am alive,
          that I am rational:
      for nurture,
          preservation,
          governance:
      for education,
          citizenship,
          religion:
      for Thy gifts of grace,
                       nature,
                       estate:
      for redemption,
          regeneration,
          instruction:
      for calling,
          recalling,
          further calling manifold:
      for forbearance,
          longsuffering,
          long longsuffering towards me,
                   many times,
                   many years,
                                until now:
      for all good offices I have received,
              good speed I have gotten:
      for any good thing done:
          for the use of things present,
              thy promise
              and my hope
                  touching the fruition of the good things to come:
      for my parents honest and good,
             teachers gentle,
             benefactors always to be had in remembrance,
             colleagues likeminded,
             hearers attentive,
             friends sincere,
             retainers faithful:
      for all who have stood me in good stead
          by their writings,
             their sermons,
                   conversations,
                   prayers,
                   examples,
                   rebukes,
                   wrongs:
      for these things and all other,
         which I wot of, which I wot not of,
         open and secret,
         things I remember, things I have forgotten withal,
         things done to me after my will or yet against my will,
      I confess to Thee and bless Thee and give thanks unto Thee,
      and I will confess and bless and give thanks to Thee
      all the days of my life.
      What thanks can I render to God again
      for all the benefits that He hath done unto me?

               HOLY, HOLY, HOLY
      Thou are worthy, O Lord and our God, the Holy One,
        to receive the glory and the honour and the power:
          for Thou hast created all things,
            and for Thy pleasure they are and were created.