OREMUS: 24 September 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Sep 23 17:00:00 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Monday, September 24, 2007

you protect the poor and defend the just;
in your kingdom, the last becomes first,
the gentle are strong,
and the lowly are exalted.

Psalm 89:29-53[CCP]

'I will establish his line for ever*
 and his throne as the days of heaven.
'If his children forsake my law*
 and do not walk according to my judgements;
'If they break my statutes*
 and do not keep my commandments;
'I will punish their transgressions with a rod*
 and their iniquities with the lash;
'But I will not take my love from him,*
 nor let my faithfulness prove false.
'I will not break my covenant,*
 nor change what has gone out of my lips.
'Once for all I have sworn by my holiness:*
 "I will not lie to David.
'"His line shall endure for ever*
 and his throne as the sun before me;
'"It shall stand fast for evermore like the moon,*
 the abiding witness in the sky."'
But you have cast off and rejected your anointed;*
 you have become enraged at him.
You have broken your covenant with your servant,*
 defiled his crown and hurled it to the ground.
You have breached all his walls*
 and laid his strongholds in ruins.
All who pass by despoil him;*
 he has become the scorn of his neighbours.
You have exalted the right hand of his foes*
 and made all his enemies rejoice.
You have turned back the edge of his sword*
 and have not sustained him in battle.
You have put an end to his splendour*
 and cast his throne to the ground.
You have cut short the days of his youth*
 and have covered him with shame.
How long will you hide yourself, O Lord?
   will you hide yourself for ever?*
 how long will your anger burn like fire?
Remember, Lord, how short life is,*
 how frail you have made all flesh.
Who can live and not see death?*
 who can save himself from the power of the grave?
Where, Lord, are your loving-kindnesses of old,*
 which you promised David in your faithfulness?
Remember, Lord, how your servant is mocked,*
 how I carry in my bosom the taunts of many peoples,
The taunts your enemies have hurled, O Lord,*
 which they hurled at the heels of your anointed.
Blessed be the Lord for evermore!*
 Amen, I say, Amen.

A Song of Ezekiel (Ezekiel 36:24-26,28b)

I will take you from the nations,
and gather you from all the countries.

I will sprinkle clean water upon you,
and you shall be clean from all your impurities.

A new heart I will give you,
and put a new spirit within you,

And I will remove from your body the heart of stone
and give you a heart of flesh.

You shall be my people,
and I will be your God.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Ezra 1:1-6]:

In the first year of King Cyrus of Persia, in order that
the word of the Lord by the mouth of Jeremiah might be
accomplished, the Lord stirred up the spirit of King
Cyrus of Persia so that he sent a herald throughout all
his kingdom, and also in a written edict declared:
'Thus says King Cyrus of Persia: The Lord, the God of
heaven, has given me all the kingdoms of the earth, and
he has charged me to build him a house at Jerusalem in
Judah. Any of those among you who are of his people may
their God be with them! are now permitted to go up to
Jerusalem in Judah, and rebuild the house of the Lord,
the God of Israel he is the God who is in Jerusalem; and
let all survivors, in whatever place they reside, be
assisted by the people of their place with silver and
gold, with goods and with animals, besides freewill-
offerings for the house of God in Jerusalem.'
The heads of the families of Judah and Benjamin, and the
priests and the Levites everyone whose spirit God had
stirred got ready to go up and rebuild the house of the
Lord in Jerusalem. All their neighbours aided them with
silver vessels, with gold, with goods, with animals, and
with valuable gifts, besides all that was freely offered.

HYMN
Words: Timothy Dudley-Smith (c)
Tune: Genevan Psalm 130 (Au fort de ma d tresse), Llangloffan, Moville,
King's Lynn, Aurelia

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l145.html

Light of the minds that know him,
may Christ be light to mine!
My sun in risen splendor,
my light of truth divine;
my guide in doubt and darkness,
my true and living way,
my clear light ever shining,
my dawn of heaven's day.

Life of the souls that love him,
may Christ be ours indeed!
The living Bread from heaven
on whom our spirits feed;
who died for love of sinners
to bear our guilty load,
and make of life's journey
a new Emmaus road.

Strength of the wills that serve him,
may Christ be strength to me,
who stilled the storm and tempest,
who calmed the tossing sea;
his Spirit's power to move me,
his will to master mine,
his cross to carry daily
and conquer in his sign.

May it be ours to know him
that we may truly love,
and loving, fully serve him
as serve the saints above;
till in that home of glory
with fadeless splendor bright,
we serve in perfect freedom
our strength, our life, our light.

SECOND READING [Luke 8:16-18]:

Jesus said, 'No one after lighting a lamp hides it under a jar, or puts it under a bed, but
puts it on a lampstand, so that those who enter may see the light. For nothing is hidden
that will not be disclosed, nor is anything secret that will not become known and come
to light. Then pay attention to how you listen; for to those who have, more will be
given; and from those who do not have, even what they seem to have will be taken
away.'

Holy God,
we rejoice in the martyrs and prophets, teachers and leaders,
and all the ordinary and extraordinary believers
who have lived and loved the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.
For their witness and encouragement,
We thank you, Lord.

Recalling their stories and deeds,
we dare to take up our crosses.
For their witness and encouragement,
We thank you, Lord.

Surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses,
we plead for the human family and all creation:

For those addicted or tormented:
We pray to you, Lord.

For the victims of terrorism and disaster:
We pray to you, Lord.

For those who despair of life's goodness:
We pray to you, Lord.

For ecumenical councils and church agencies:
We pray to you, Lord.

For a resolution to unresolved matters of this day:
We pray to you, Lord.

Guide and govern your holy Church, O Lord,
that it may walk warily in times of quiet
and boldly in times of trouble;
through Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior. Amen.

Give us grace to persevere in following Jesus,
in whom is the pattern of true discipleship. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

Hymn Timothy Dudley-Smith
Words (c) 1984 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
For permission to reproduce this text in all territories except the UK, Europe & Africa,
contact:

Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
For UK, Europe & Africa: contact: Bishop Timothy Dudley-Smith,
9 Ashlands, Ford, Salisbury, Wiltshire  SP4 6DY  England