OREMUS: 22 September 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Sep 21 17:00:01 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Saturday, September 22, 2007
Philander Chase, Bishop of Ohio and of Illinois, missionary, 1852

Blessed are you, Shepherding God,
undaunted, you seek the lost,
exultant, you bring home the found.
You touch our hearts with grateful wonder
at the tenderness of your forbearing love,
revealed in your Son, Jesus Christ.

Ascribe to the Lord, you gods,*
 ascribe to the Lord glory and strength.
Ascribe to the Lord the glory due to his name;*
 worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness.
The voice of the Lord is upon the waters;
   the God of glory thunders;*
 the Lord is upon the mighty waters.
The voice of the Lord is a powerful voice;*
 the voice of the Lord is a voice of splendour.
The voice of the Lord breaks the cedar trees;*
 the Lord breaks the cedars of Lebanon;
He makes Lebanon skip like a calf,*
 and Mount Hermon like a young wild ox.
The voice of the Lord splits the flames of fire;
   the voice of the Lord shakes the wilderness;*
 the Lord shakes the wilderness of Kadesh.
The voice of the Lord makes the oak trees writhe*
 and strips the forests bare.
And in the temple of the Lord*
 all are crying, 'Glory!'
The Lord sits enthroned above the flood;*
 the Lord sits enthroned as king for evermore.
The Lord shall give strength to his people;*
 the Lord shall give his people the blessing of peace.

Psalm 40

I waited patiently upon the Lord;*
 he stooped to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the desolate pit,
   out of the mire and clay;*
 he set my feet upon a high cliff and made my footing sure.
He put a new song in my mouth,
   a song of praise to our God;*
 many shall see and stand in awe
   and put their trust in the Lord.
Happy are they who trust in the Lord!*
 they do not resort to evil spirits or turn to false gods.
Great things are they that you have done, O Lord my God!
   how great your wonders and your plans for us!*
 there is none who can be compared with you.
O that I could make them known and tell them!*
 but they are more than I can count.
In sacrifice and offering you take no pleasure*
 you have given me ears to hear you;
Burnt-offering and sin-offering you have not required,*
 and so I said, 'Behold, I come.
'In the roll of the book it is written concerning me:*
 "I love to do your will, O my God;
 your law is deep in my heart."'
I proclaimed righteousness in the great congregation;*
 behold, I did not restrain my lips;
 and that, O Lord, you know.
Your righteousness have I not hidden in my heart;
   I have spoken of your faithfulness and your deliverance;*
 I have not concealed your love and faithfulness
   from the great congregation.
You are the Lord;
   do not withhold your compassion from me;*
 let your love and your faithfulness keep me safe for ever,
For innumerable troubles have crowded upon me;
   my sins have overtaken me and I cannot see;*
 they are more in number than the hairs of my head,
   and my heart fails me.
Be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me;*
 O Lord, make haste to help me.
Let them be ashamed and altogether dismayed
   who seek after my life to destroy it;*
 let them draw back and be disgraced
   who take pleasure in my misfortune.
Let those who say 'Aha!' and gloat over me be confounded,*
 because they are ashamed.
Let all who seek you rejoice in you and be glad;*
 let those who love your salvation continually say,
   'Great is the Lord!'
Though I am poor and afflicted,*
 the Lord will have regard for me.
You are my helper and my deliverer;*
 do not tarry, O my God.

A Song of Pilgrimage (from Ecclesiasticus 51)

While I was still young,
I sought Wisdom openly in my prayer.

Before the temple I asked for her,
and I will search for her until the end.

>From the first blossom to the ripening grape,
my heart delighted in her.

My foot walked on the straight path,
from my youth I followed her steps.

I inclined my ear a little and received her,
I found for myself much instruction.

I made progress in Wisdom;
to the One who sent her,
I will give glory.

I directed my soul to Wisdom,
and in purity have I found her.

With her, I gained understanding from the first,
therefore will I never be forsaken.

My heart was stirred to seek her,
with my tongue will I sing God's praise.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [1 Timothy 6:13-16]:

In the presence of God, who gives life to all things, and
of Christ Jesus, who in his testimony before Pontius
Pilate made the good confession, I charge you to keep the
commandment without spot or blame until the manifestation
of our Lord Jesus Christ, which he will bring about at
the right time he who is the blessed and only Sovereign,
the King of kings and Lord of lords. It is he alone who
has immortality and dwells in unapproachable light, whom
no one has ever seen or can see; to him be honour and
eternal dominion. Amen.

HYMN
Words: William Walsham How, 1897
Tune: Bishopgarth

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o347.html

O King of kings, whose reign of old
hath been from everlasting,
before whose throne their crowns of gold
the white-robed saints are casting;
while all the shining courts on high
with angel-songs are ringing,
O let thy children venture nigh,
their lowly homage bringing.

For every heart, made glad by thee,
with thankful praise is swelling;
and every tongue, with joy set free,
its happy theme is telling.
Thou hast been mindful of thine own,
and lo! we come confessing--
'tis thou hast dowered our Empire's throne
with countless years of blessing.

Lead on, O Lord, thy people still,
new grace and wisdom giving,
to larger love and purer will,
and nobler heights of living.
And while of all thy love below
they chant the glorious story,
O teach them first thy Christ to know,
and magnify his glory.

SECOND READING [Luke 8:1-3]:

Soon afterwards Jesus went on through cities and villages, proclaiming and bringing
the good news of the kingdom of God. The twelve were with him, as well as some
women who had been cured of evil spirits and infirmities: Mary, called Magdalene,
from whom seven demons had gone out, and Joanna, the wife of Herod's steward
Chuza, and Susanna, and many others, who provided for them out of their resources.

Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
Blessed are you, eternal God,
to be praised and glorified for ever.

Hear us as we pray for your holy Catholic Church:
make us all one, that the world may believe.

Grant that every member of the Church
may truly and humbly serve you:
that the life of Christ may be revealed in us.

Strengthen all who minister in Christ's name:
give them courage to proclaim your Gospel.

Inspire and lead those who hold authority
in the nations of the world:
guide them in the ways of justice and peace.

Make us alive to the needs of our community:
help us to share each other's joys and burdens.

Look with kindness on our homes and families:
grant that your love may grow in our hearts.

Deepen our compassion for all who suffer
from sickness, grief or trouble:
in your presence may they find their strength.

We remember those who have died:
may they rest in your peace.

We praise you for all your saints
who have entered your eternal glory:
bring us all to share in your heavenly kingdom.

Free us from our sins, O God,
and may we never be ashamed
to confess you to all the nations,
through your Son, our Redeemer,
Jesus Christ, the Lord of all. Amen.

Almighty God,
whose Son Jesus Christ is the pioneer and perfecter of our faith:
We give you heartfelt thanks for the pioneering spirit
of your servant Philander Chase,
and for his zeal in opening new frontiers for the ministry of your Church.
Grant us grace to minister in Christ's name in every place,
led by bold witnesses to the Gospel of the Prince of Peace,
Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Grant us delight in the mercy that has found us
and bring all to rejoice at the feast of forgiveness. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.