OREMUS: 21 September 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Sep 20 22:18:14 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Friday, September 21, 2007
Saint Matthew the Evangelist

Blessed are you, God of love,
for in Christ your Son
you revealed your compassion for humankind
and in mercy you invite sinners
to sit at the banquet of your kingdom.
We give you thanks for Matthew,
who responded to the call of Christ
and made him welcome in his house.
Changed and renewed by the coming of the Lord,
he dedicated himself to proclaiming
your wonderful works of salvation.
Blessed be God for ever

Save me, O God, by your name;*
 in your might, defend my cause.
Hear my prayer, O God;*
 give ear to the words of my mouth.
For the arrogant have risen up against me,
   and the ruthless have sought my life,*
 those who have no regard for God.
Behold, God is my helper;*
 it is the Lord who sustains my life.
Render evil to those who spy on me;*
 in your faithfulness, destroy them.
I will offer you a freewill sacrifice*
 and praise your name, O Lord, for it is good.
For you have rescued me from every trouble,*
 and my eye has seen the ruin of my foes.

A Song of the Lord's Anointed (Isaiah 61.1-3,11,6a)

The Spirit of the Lord is upon me
 because he has anointed me.

He has sent me to bring good news to the oppressed,
 to bind up the broken-hearted,

To proclaim liberty to the captives,
 and the opening of the prison to those who are bound;

To proclaim the year of the Lord's favour,
 to comfort all who mourn,

To give them a garland instead of ashes,
 the oil of gladness instead of mourning,
 the mantle of praise instead of a faint spirit,

That they may be called oaks of righteousness,
 the planting of the Lord, that he may be glorified.

For as the earth puts forth her blossom,
 and as seeds in the garden spring up,

So shall the Lord God make righteousness and praise
 blossom before all the nations.

You shall be called priests of the Lord
 they shall speak of you as ministers of our God.

FIRST READING [Ecclesiastes 5:4-12]:

 When you make a vow to God, do not delay fulfilling it; for he has no pleasure in fools. Fulfil
what you vow. It is better that you should not vow than that you should vow and not fulfil it. Do
not let your mouth lead you into sin, and do not say before the messenger that it was a mistake;
why should God be angry at your words, and destroy the work of your hands?

With many dreams come vanities and a multitude of words; but fear God.

 If you see in a province the oppression of the poor and the violation of justice and right, do not
be amazed at the matter; for the high official is watched by a higher, and there are yet higher ones
over them. But all things considered, this is an advantage for a land: a king for a ploughed
field.

The lover of money will not be satisfied with money; nor the lover of wealth, with gain. This also
is vanity.

When goods increase, those who eat them increase; and what gain has their owner but to see them
with his eyes?

Sweet is the sleep of labourers, whether they eat little or much; but the surfeit of the rich will not
let them sleep.

HYMN
Words: (c) Timothy Dudley-Smith
Tune: Es flog ein kleins Waldv"gelein
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f260.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f260.html

>From all the wind's wide quarters,
come, see the feast is spread,
of soul-sustaining waters,
of true and living bread;
of sorrows long-departed,
and joys beyond compare--
come, poor and humble-hearted,
the feast of life to share!

With mercy all-prevailing,
God bids the wanderer come;
in grace and peace unfailing
invites the children home.
With loving-kindness tender,
God frees us from our sins--
in glory and in splendor
the feast of life begins!

Come, claim the promise spoken!
God's purpose stands secure.
The fruitful word unbroken
shall evermore endure.
All ancient bondage ended
to sin's corrupting powers--
forgiven, freed, befriended,
the feast of life is ours!

FIRST READING [Matthew 19:16-end]:

Someone came to Jesus and said, 'Teacher, what good deed
must I do to have eternal life?' And he said to him, 'Why
do you ask me about what is good? There is only one who
is good. If you wish to enter into life, keep the
commandments.' He said to him, 'Which ones?' And Jesus
said, 'You shall not murder; You shall not commit
adultery; You shall not steal; You shall not bear false
witness; Honour your father and mother; also, You shall
love your neighbour as yourself.' The young man said to
him, 'I have kept all these; what do I still lack?' Jesus
said to him, 'If you wish to be perfect, go, sell your
possessions, and give the money to the poor, and you will
have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me.' When the
young man heard this word, he went away grieving, for he
had many possessions.
Then Jesus said to his disciples, 'Truly I tell you, it
will be hard for a rich person to enter the kingdom of
heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go
through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich
to enter the kingdom of God.' When the disciples heard
this, they were greatly astounded and said, 'Then who can
be saved?' But Jesus looked at them and said, 'For
mortals it is impossible, but for God all things are
possible.'
Then Peter said in reply, 'Look, we have left everything
and followed you. What then will we have?' Jesus said to
them, 'Truly I tell you, at the renewal of all things,
when the Son of Man is seated on the throne of his glory,
you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones,
judging the twelve tribes of Israel. And everyone who has
left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or
children or fields, for my name's sake, will receive a
hundredfold, and will inherit eternal life. But many who
are first will be last, and the last will be first.'

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
O God, your word has gone out to all the world
through the witness of your Evangelists and your Church.

Empower your Church always to proclaim
the saving message of the Gospel.
Strong Word of God,
send us forth to proclaim your good news.

May the Holy Spirit who inspired your evangelist Matthew
be our guide into all truth.
Strong Word of God,
send us forth to proclaim your good news.

Bless those who work through translation and publishing
to make the faith more widely known.
Strong Word of God,
send us forth to proclaim your good news.

May all our living fulfill the teaching of the Gospel.
Strong Word of God,
send us forth to proclaim your good news.

Bless our reading of Scripture
and lead us always into new paths of understanding.
Strong Word of God,
send us forth to proclaim your good news.

May those who loved the word of truth in this world
rejoice for ever in the presence of the living Word.
Strong Word of God,
send us forth to proclaim your good news.

O Almighty God,
whose blessed Son called Matthew the tax-collector
to be an apostle and evangelist
give us grace to forsake the selfish pursuit of gain
 and the possessive love of riches
that we may follow in the way of your Son Jesus Christ,
one God, now and for ever.  Amen.

Give us grace to persevere in following Jesus,
in whom is the pattern of true discipleship. Amen.

The intercession is adapted from a prayer in _Leading
Intercessions_ by Raymond Chapman, 2000.

The collect is from _Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the
Church of England_, material from which is included in this service is

Hymn (c) 1985 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
For permission to reproduce this hymn in all territories except the UK, Europe
& Africa, contact: Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
For UK, Europe & Africa: contact: Bishop Timothy Dudley-Smith,
9 Ashlands, Ford, Salisbury, Wiltshire  SP4 6DY  England

The closing sentence are adapted from collects in _Revised Common
Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common
Texts

One day Jesus was walking and saw a tax collector named Matthew sitting at a
tax collection post, and said to him, "Follow me." And Matthew stood up and
followed him, and became one of his twelve apostles. Tax collectors in those
days were social outcasts. Devout Jews avoided them because they were
usually dishonest (the job carried no salary, and they were expected to make
their profits by cheating the people from whom they collected taxes). Patriotic
and nationalistic Jews hated them because they were agents of the Roman
government, the conquerors, and hated them with a double hatred if (like
Matthew) they were Jews, because they had gone over to the enemy, had
betrayed their own people for money. Thus, throughout the Gospels, we find
tax collectors (publicans) mentioned as a standard type of sinful and despised
outcast. Matthew brought many of his former associates to meet Jesus, and
social outcasts in general were shown that the love of Jesus extended even to
them.
The name "Matthew" means "gift of the LORD." Mark and Luke, in the story
of his calling, name him "Levi." Perhaps this was his original name, and he
received a new name from Jesus when he became a disciple. (It has also been
suggested that he was simply a member of the tribe of Levi.)
Of Matthew's life after Pentecost the Scriptures tell us nothing. Later accounts
of his life vary, some reporting that he was martyred, others that he died a
natural death. The Christian community since early times has commemorated
him as a martyr.
Whether the Apostle Matthew is also the Evangelist Matthew -- that is,
whether the Apostle Matthew wrote the Gospel that bears his name -- is
disputed. The Gospel itself does not say who wrote it, but the designation
"according to Matthew" is very old. [James Kiefer, abridged]