OREMUS: 16 September 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Sep 15 20:00:56 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Sunday, September 16, 2007
The Sixteenth Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, Shepherding God,
undaunted, you seek the lost,
exultant, you bring home the found.
You touch our hearts with grateful wonder
at the tenderness of your forbearing love,
revealed in your Son, Jesus Christ.

The heavens declare the glory of God,*
 and the firmament shows his handiwork.
One day tells its tale to another,*
 and one night imparts knowledge to another.
Although they have no words or language,*
 and their voices are not heard,
Their sound has gone out into all lands,*
 and their message to the ends of the world.
In the deep has he set a pavilion for the sun;*
 it comes forth like a bridegroom out of his chamber;
   it rejoices like a champion to run its course.
It goes forth from the uttermost edge of the heavens
   and runs about to the end of it again;*
 nothing is hidden from its burning heat.
The law of the Lord is perfect
   and revives the soul;*
 the testimony of the Lord is sure
   and gives wisdom to the innocent.
The statutes of the Lord are just
   and rejoice the heart;*
 the commandment of the Lord is clear
   and gives light to the eyes.
The fear of the Lord is clean
   and endures for ever;*
 the judgements of the Lord are true
   and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold,
   more than much fine gold,*
 sweeter far than honey,
   than honey in the comb.
By them also is your servant enlightened,*
 and in keeping them there is great reward.
Who can tell how often he offends?*
 Cleanse me from my secret faults.
Above all, keep your servant from presumptuous sins;
   let them not get dominion over me;*
 then shall I be whole and sound,
   and innocent of a great offence.
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
   be acceptable in your sight,*
 O Lord, my strength and my redeemer.

Benedicite: A Song of Creation

Bless the Lord all you works of the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you heavens:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you angels of the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord all people on earth:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

O people of God bless the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you priests of the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you servants of the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord all you of upright spirit:
 bless the Lord you that are holy and humble in heart;

Bless the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Isaiah 60]:

Arise, shine; for your light has come,
   and the glory of the Lord has risen upon you.
For darkness shall cover the earth,
   and thick darkness the peoples;
but the Lord will arise upon you,
   and his glory will appear over you.
Nations shall come to your light,
   and kings to the brightness of your dawn.

Lift up your eyes and look around;
   they all gather together, they come to you;
your sons shall come from far away,
   and your daughters shall be carried on their nurses' arms.
Then you shall see and be radiant;
   your heart shall thrill and rejoice,
because the abundance of the sea shall be brought to you,
   the wealth of the nations shall come to you.
A multitude of camels shall cover you,
   the young camels of Midian and Ephah;
   all those from Sheba shall come.
They shall bring gold and frankincense,
   and shall proclaim the praise of the Lord.
All the flocks of Kedar shall be gathered to you,
   the rams of Nebaioth shall minister to you;
they shall be acceptable on my altar,
   and I will glorify my glorious house.

Who are these that fly like a cloud,
   and like doves to their windows?
For the coastlands shall wait for me,
   the ships of Tarshish first,
to bring your children from far away,
   their silver and gold with them,
for the name of the Lord your God,
   and for the Holy One of Israel,
   because he has glorified you.
Foreigners shall build up your walls,
   and their kings shall minister to you;
for in my wrath I struck you down,
   but in my favour I have had mercy on you.
Your gates shall always be open;
   day and night they shall not be shut,
so that nations shall bring you their wealth,
   with their kings led in procession.
For the nation and kingdom
   that will not serve you shall perish;
   those nations shall be utterly laid waste.
The glory of Lebanon shall come to you,
   the cypress, the plane, and the pine,
to beautify the place of my sanctuary;
   and I will glorify where my feet rest.
The descendants of those who oppressed you
   shall come bending low to you,
and all who despised you
   shall bow down at your feet;
they shall call you the City of the Lord,
   the Zion of the Holy One of Israel.
Whereas you have been forsaken and hated,
   with no one passing through,
I will make you majestic for ever,
   a joy from age to age.
You shall suck the milk of nations,
   you shall suck the breasts of kings;
and you shall know that I, the Lord, am your Saviour
   and your Redeemer, the Mighty One of Jacob.

Instead of bronze I will bring gold,
   instead of iron I will bring silver;
instead of wood, bronze,
   instead of stones, iron.
I will appoint Peace as your overseer
   and Righteousness as your taskmaster.
Violence shall no more be heard in your land,
   devastation or destruction within your borders;
you shall call your walls Salvation,
   and your gates Praise.

The sun shall no longer be
   your light by day,
nor for brightness shall the moon
   give light to you by night;
but the Lord will be your everlasting light,
   and your God will be your glory.
Your sun shall no more go down,
   or your moon withdraw itself;
for the Lord will be your everlasting light,
   and your days of mourning shall be ended.
Your people shall all be righteous;
   they shall possess the land for ever.
They are the shoot that I planted, the work of my hands,
   so that I might be glorified.
The least of them shall become a clan,
   and the smallest one a mighty nation;
I am the Lord;
   in its time I will accomplish it quickly.

HYMN
Words: Mary Artemisia Lathbury, 1872
Tune: Bread of Life

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b183.html

Break thou the bread of life,
dear Lord, to me,
as thou didst break the loaves
beside the sea;
beyond the sacred page
I seek thee, Lord;
my spirit pants for thee,
O living Word!

Bless thou the truth, dear Lord,
to me, to me,
as thou didst bless the bread
by Galilee!
Then shall bondage cease,
all fetters fall;
and I shall find my peace,
my All-in-all!

SECOND READING [John 6:51-69]:

Jesus said, 'I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats of this
bread will live for ever; and the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my
flesh.'
The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, 'How can this man give us his flesh
to eat?' So Jesus said to them, 'Very truly, I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the
Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Those who eat my flesh and
drink my blood have eternal life, and I will raise them up on the last day; for my flesh
is true food and my blood is true drink. Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood
abide in me, and I in them. Just as the living Father sent me, and I live because of the
Father, so whoever eats me will live because of me. This is the bread that came down
from heaven, not like that which your ancestors ate, and they died. But the one who
eats this bread will live for ever.' He said these things while he was teaching in the
synagogue at Capernaum.
When many of his disciples heard it, they said, 'This teaching is difficult; who can
accept it?' But Jesus, being aware that his disciples were complaining about it, said to
them, 'Does this offend you? Then what if you were to see the Son of Man ascending
to where he was before? It is the spirit that gives life; the flesh is useless. The words
that I have spoken to you are spirit and life. But among you there are some who do
not believe.' For Jesus knew from the first who were the ones that did not believe, and
who was the one that would betray him. And he said, 'For this reason I have told you
that no one can come to me unless it is granted by the Father.'
Because of this many of his disciples turned back and no longer went about with him.
So Jesus asked the twelve, 'Do you also wish to go away?' Simon Peter answered
him, 'Lord, to whom can we go? You have the words of eternal life. We have come to
believe and know that you are the Holy One of God.'

God sent Jesus into the world,
not to condemn the world,
but that the world through him might be saved,
that all who believe in him
might be delivered from the power of sin and death
and become heirs with him of eternal life.

Almighty God,
kindle, we pray, in every heart
the true love of peace,
and guide with your wisdom
those who take counsel for the nations of the earth,
especially George Bush, the President of the United States,
that justice and peace may increase,
until the earth is filled
with the knowledge of your love;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

God of compassion,
you watch our ways,
and weave out of terrible happenings
wonders of goodness and grace.
Surround those who have been shaken by tragedy
with a sense of your present love,
and hold them in faith.
Though they are lost in grief,
may they find you and be comforted;
through Jesus Christ who was dead, but lives
and rules this world with you. Amen.

Eternal God, our only hope,
our help in times of trouble:
show nations ways to work out differences.
Do not let threats multiply
or power be used without compassion.
May your will overrule human willfulness,
so that people may agree and settle claims peacefully.
Restrain those who are impulsive,
lest desire for vengeance overwhelm our common welfare.
Bring peace to earth, through Jesus Christ,
the Prince of Peace and Savior of us all. Amen.

We give you thanks, O God,
for all who have fought the good fight,
finished their race, and kept the faith,
and for those dear to us and to others
who are at rest with you. . . .

Grant us grace to follow them
as they followed Christ.
Bring us, with them, to those things
which no eye has seen, nor ear heard,
which you have prepared for those who love you.
To your name,
with the church on earth and church in heaven,
we ascribe all honor and glory,
forever and ever. Amen.

Grant that wars may cease,
suffering be healed,
hunger be satisfied,
and justice be established,
as we look forward to the day
when wars and suffering,
hunger and injustice,
shall be no more,
and your reign be established,
through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.

Grant us delight in the mercy that has found us
and bring all to rejoice at the feast of forgiveness. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.