OREMUS: 11 September 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Sep 10 19:37:15 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Blessed are you, God of the ages,
you call the Church to keep watch in the world
and to discern the signs of the times.
You call us to proclaim your prophetic word with courage
and with the wisdom bestowed by the Spirit,
that the work you have set before us may be completed.

To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul;
   my God, I put my trust in you;*
 let me not be humiliated,
   nor let my enemies triumph over me.
Let none who look to you be put to shame;*
 let the treacherous be disappointed in their schemes.
Show me your ways, O Lord,*
 and teach me your paths.
Lead me in your truth and teach me,*
 for you are the God of my salvation;
   in you have I trusted all the day long.
Remember, O Lord, your compassion and love,*
 for they are from everlasting.
Remember not the sins of my youth
   and my transgressions;*
 remember me according to your love
   and for the sake of your goodness, O Lord.
Gracious and upright is the Lord;*
 therefore he teaches sinners in his way.
He guides the humble in doing right*
 and teaches his way to the lowly.
All the paths of the Lord are love and faithfulness*
 to those who keep his covenant and his testimonies.
For your name's sake, O Lord,*
 forgive my sin, for it is great.
Who are they who fear the Lord?*
 he will teach them the way that they should choose.
They shall dwell in prosperity,*
 and their offspring shall inherit the land.
The Lord is a friend to those who fear him*
 and will show them his covenant.
My eyes are ever looking to the Lord,*
 for he shall pluck my feet out of the net.
Turn to me and have pity on me,*
 for I am left alone and in misery.
The sorrows of my heart have increased;*
 bring me out of my troubles.
Look upon my adversity and misery*
 and forgive me all my sin.
Look upon my enemies, for they are many,*
 and they bear a violent hatred against me.
Protect my life and deliver me;*
 let me not be put to shame, for I have trusted in you.
Let integrity and uprightness preserve me,*
 for my hope has been in you.
Deliver Israel, O God,*
 out of all his troubles.

A Song of the Wilderness (Isaiah 35.1,2b-4a,4c-6,10)

The wilderness and the dry land shall rejoice,
the desert shall blossom and burst into song.

They shall see the glory of the Lord,
the majesty of our God.

Strengthen the weary hands,
and make firm the feeble knees.

Say to the anxious, 'Be strong, fear not,
your God is coming with judgement,
coming with judgement to save you.'

Then shall the eyes of the blind be opened,
and the ears of the deaf unstopped;

Then shall the lame leap like a hart,
and the tongue of the dumb sing for joy.

For waters shall break forth in the wilderness,
and streams in the desert;

The ransomed of the Lord shall return with singing,
with everlasting joy upon their heads.

Joy and gladness shall be theirs,
and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.

FIRST READING [Colossians 2:6-15]:

As you therefore have received Christ Jesus the Lord,
continue to live your lives in him, rooted and built up
in him and established in the faith, just as you were
taught, abounding in thanksgiving.
See to it that no one takes you captive through
philosophy and empty deceit, according to human
tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the
universe, and not according to Christ. For in him the
whole fullness of deity dwells bodily, and you have come
to fullness in him, who is the head of every ruler and
authority. In him also you were circumcised with a
spiritual circumcision, by putting off the body of the
flesh in the circumcision of Christ; when you were buried
with him in baptism, you were also raised with him
through faith in the power of God, who raised him from
the dead. And when you were dead in trespasses and the
uncircumcision of your flesh, God made you alive together
with him, when he forgave us all our trespasses, erasing
the record that stood against us with its legal demands.
He set this aside, nailing it to the cross. He disarmed
the rulers and authorities and made a public example of
them, triumphing over them in it.

HYMN
Words: Vincent Uher (c) 1995
Tune: Old 124th

<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/uher15.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/u
her15.html

Lord Jesus Christ, lead us, your little flock.
We all would journey to your promised land.
Increase our faith to trust you, Christ our Rock,
whose living waters quench the deserts' thirst.
Now to those waters guide us by your hand.

We do confess our selfish, prideful ways
serving our own wants not our neighbours' need.
Yet at this hour we turn from yesterdays
and sing a new song full of faith and hope.
Do, Lord, forgive and wash us clean indeed.

Our hearts' own treasure and our highest joy,
Jesus, we praise you, Saviour and our Lord.
Our souls and bodies, all our lives employ.
We sacrifice to you our wealth and power.
May what we give help others find you, Lord.

In that new city coming from above,
Lord, to your high feast we would gladly come.
For that great day, the triumph of your love,
we stand on guard with all your angels now.
Lord Christ, we pray to see your kingdom come.

SECOND READING [Luke 6:12-19]:

Now during those days he went out to the mountain to pray; and he spent the night in
prayer to God. And when day came, he called his disciples and chose twelve of them,
whom he also named apostles: Simon, whom he named Peter, and his brother Andrew,
and James, and John, and Philip, and Bartholomew, and Matthew, and Thomas, and
James son of Alphaeus, and Simon, who was called the Zealot, and Judas son of
James, and Judas Iscariot, who became a traitor.
 He came down with them and stood on a level place, with a great crowd of his
disciples and a great multitude of people from all Judea, Jerusalem, and the coast of
Tyre and Sidon. They had come to hear him and to be healed of their diseases; and
those who were troubled with unclean spirits were cured. And all in the crowd were
trying to touch him, for power came out from him and healed all of them.

Holy God,
we rejoice in the martyrs and prophets, teachers and leaders,
and all the ordinary and extraordinary believers
who have lived and loved the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.
For their witness and encouragement,
We thank you, Lord.

Recalling their stories and deeds,
we dare to take up our crosses.
For their witness and encouragement,
We thank you, Lord.

Surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses,
we plead for the human family and all creation:

For those addicted or tormented:
We pray to you, Lord.

For the victims of terrorism and disaster:
We pray to you, Lord.

For those who despair of life's goodness:
We pray to you, Lord.

For the Church, for ecumenical councils and church agencies:
We pray to you, Lord.

For a resolution to unresolved matters of this day:
We pray to you, Lord.

O God, grant us a vision of our city, fair as she might be;
a city of jusice, where none shall prey on others;
a city of plenty, where vice and poverty shall cease to fester;
a city of brotherhood, where all success shall be founded on service,
and honor shall be given to nobleness alone;
a city of peace, where order shall not rest on force,
but on the love of all for the city, the great mother of our common life and weal.
Hear, O Lord, the silent prayer of all our hearts
as we each pledge our time and strength and thought
to speed the day of her coming in beauty and righteousness. Amen.

May God make safe to us each step,
May God open to us each door,
May God make clear to us each road.
May God enfold us in loving arms.Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses phrases from a prayer in
_Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language_.
Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The collect is by Walter Rauschenbusch and the closing prayer is adapted from a prayer by
Bruce Prewer, 2001.