OREMUS: 10 September 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Sep 9 20:15:57 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Monday, September 10, 2007

Blessed are you, God of the ages,
you call the Church to keep watch in the world
and to discern the signs of the times.
You call us to proclaim your prophetic word with courage
and with the wisdom bestowed by the Spirit,
that the work you have set before us may be completed.

May the Lord answer you in the day of trouble,*
 the name of the God of Jacob defend you;
Send you help from his holy place*
 and strengthen you out of Zion;
Remember all your offerings*
 and accept your burnt sacrifice;
Grant you your heart's desire*
 and prosper all your plans.
We will shout for joy at your victory
   and triumph in the name of our God;*
 may the Lord grant all your requests.
Now I know that the Lord gives victory
   to his anointed;*
 he will answer him out of his holy heaven,
   with the victorious strength of his right hand.
Some put their trust in chariots and some in horses,*
 but we will call upon the name of the Lord our God.
They collapse and fall down,*
 but we will arise and stand upright.
O Lord, give victory to the king*
 and answer us when we call.

Psalm 21

The king rejoices in your strength, O Lord;*
 how greatly he exults in your victory!
You have given him his heart's desire;*
 you have not denied him the request of his lips.
For you meet him with blessings of prosperity,*
 and set a crown of fine gold upon his head.
He asked you for life and you gave it to him;*
 length of days, for ever and ever.
His honour is great, because of your victory;*
 splendour and majesty have you bestowed upon him.
For you will give him everlasting felicity*
 and will make him glad with the joy of your presence.
For the king puts his trust in the Lord;*
 because of the loving-kindness of the Most High,
   he will not fall.
Your hand will lay hold upon all your enemies;*
 your right hand will seize all those who hate you.
You will make them like a fiery furnace*
 at the time of your appearing, O Lord;
You will swallow them up in your wrath,*
 and fire shall consume them.
You will destroy their offspring from the land*
 and their descendants
   from among the peoples of the earth.
Though they intend evil against you
   and devise wicked schemes,*
 yet they shall not prevail.
For you will put them to flight*
 and aim your arrows at them.
Be exalted, O Lord, in your might;*
 we will sing and praise your power.

A Song of God's Children (Romans 8:2,14,15b-19)

The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus
has set us free from the law of sin and death.

All who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God;
for we have received the Spirit that enables us to cry, 'Abba, Father'.

The Spirit himself bears witness that we are children of God
and if God's children, then heirs of God;

If heirs of God, then fellow-heirs with Christ;
since we suffer with him now, that we may be glorified with him.

These sufferings that we now endure
are not worth comparing to the glory that shall be revealed.

For the creation waits with eager longing
for the revealing of the children of God.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Colossians 1:24-2:3]:

I am now rejoicing in my sufferings for your sake, and in
my flesh I am completing what is lacking in Christ's
afflictions for the sake of his body, that is, the
church. I became its servant according to God's
commission that was given to me for you, to make the word
of God fully known, the mystery that has been hidden
throughout the ages and generations but has now been
revealed to his saints. To them God chose to make known
how great among the Gentiles are the riches of the glory
of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of
glory. It is he whom we proclaim, warning everyone and
teaching everyone in all wisdom, so that we may present
everyone mature in Christ. For this I toil and struggle
with all the energy that he powerfully inspires within
me.
For I want you to know how much I am struggling for you,
and for those in Laodicea, and for all who have not seen
me face to face. I want their hearts to be encouraged and
united in love, so that they may have all the riches of
assured understanding and have the knowledge of God's
mystery, that is, Christ himself, in whom are hidden all
the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

HYMN
Words: John Newton (1725-1807), 1779
Tune: St. Peter

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h422.html

How sweet the Name of Jesus sounds
in a believer's ear!
It soothes his sorrows, heals his wounds,
and drives away his fear.

It makes the wounded spirit whole,
and calms the troubled breast;
'tis manna to the hungry soul,
and to the weary, rest.

Dear Name, the rock on which I build,
my shield and hiding-place,
my never-failing treasury, filled
with boundless stores of grace!

Jesus! my Shepherd, Brother, Friend,
my Prophet, Priest and King,
my Lord, my Life, my Way, my End,
accept the praise I bring.

Weak is the effort of my heart,
and cold my warmest thought;
but when I see thee as thou art,
I'll praise thee as I ought.

Till then I would thy love proclaim
with every fleeting breath;
and may the music of thy Name
refresh my soul in death!

SECOND READING [Luke 6:6-11]:

On another sabbath Jesus entered the synagogue and taught, and there was a man
there whose right hand was withered. The scribes and the Pharisees watched him to
see whether he would cure on the sabbath, so that they might find an accusation
against him. Even though he knew what they were thinking, he said to the man who
had the withered hand, 'Come and stand here.' He got up and stood there. Then Jesus
said to them, 'I ask you, is it lawful to do good or to do harm on the sabbath, to save
life or to destroy it?' After looking around at all of them, he said to him, 'Stretch out
your hand.' He did so, and his hand was restored. But they were filled with fury and
discussed with one another what they might do to Jesus.

Merciful God,
you give us every good gift.
Hear our prayers which we now offer
through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

We pray for your Church.
May our divisions be healed,
that we may go into the world proclaiming your Good News.
Lord, in your mercy:
hear our prayer.

We pray for the physical and spiritual well-being
of our family and friends,
that they may rejoice in your mercy and love
and share in your joy in your heavenly Kingdom.
Lord, in your mercy:
hear our prayer.

We pray for those who work,
especially those who are stressed or overwhelmed,
that they may know you are their refuge and strength.
Lord, in your mercy:
hear our prayer.

We pray for those who are persecuted
for fighting for justice and liberty,
that they may remember that you are the source
of all things just and free.
Lord, in your mercy:
hear our prayer.

God our Hope and our Defense,
protect all those who call upon your Name,
that they may stand upright in the day of trouble,
and share in the victory
of your Son our Savior Jesus Christ. Amen.

May God make safe to us each step,
May God open to us each door,
May God make clear to us each road.
May God enfold us in loving arms.Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses phrases from a prayer in
_Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language_.
Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

 The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer by Bruce Prewer, 2001.