OREMUS: 8 September 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Sep 7 17:00:01 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Saturday, September 8, 2007
The Birth of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Blessed are you, God of wonder and might,
for the day when the Mother of your Son,
Mary pure and glorious,
was born into the world.
We praise you for her humility and acceptance of your will
which allowed her to become the portal
of that joyful light, Jesus Christ,
who leads us back to our eternal home.

My heart is stirring with a noble song;
   let me recite what I have fashioned for the king;*
 my tongue shall be the pen of a skilled writer.
You are the fairest of men;*
 grace flows from your lips,
   because God has blessed you for ever.
Strap your sword upon your thigh, O mighty warrior,*
 in your pride and in your majesty.
Ride out and conquer in the cause of truth*
 and for the sake of justice.
Your right hand will show you marvellous things;*
 your arrows are very sharp, O mighty warrior.
The peoples are falling at your feet,*
 and the king's enemies are losing heart.
Your throne, O God, endures for ever and ever,*
 a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of your kingdom;
   you love righteousness and hate iniquity;
Therefore God, your God, has anointed you*
 with the oil of gladness above your fellows.
All your garments are fragrant with myrrh, aloes and cassia,*
 and the music of strings from ivory palaces makes you glad.<td
colspan=2>
Kings' daughters stand among the ladies of the court;*
 on your right hand is the queen,
   adorned with the gold of Ophir.
'Hear, O daughter; consider and listen closely;*
 forget your people and your family's house.
'The king will have pleasure in your beauty;*
 he is your master; therefore do him honour.
'The people of Tyre are here with a gift;*
 the rich among the people seek your favour.'
All glorious is the princess as she enters;*
 her gown is cloth-of-gold.
In embroidered apparel she is brought to the king;*
 after her the bridesmaids follow in procession.
With joy and gladness they are brought,*
 and enter into the palace of the king.
'In place of fathers, O king, you shall have sons;*
 you shall make them princes over all the earth.
'I will make your name to be remembered
   from one generation to another;*
 therefore nations will praise you for ever and ever.'

Psalm 46

God is our refuge and strength,*
 a very present help in trouble;
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth be moved,*
 and though the mountains be toppled
   into the depths of the sea;
Though its waters rage and foam,*
 and though the mountains tremble at its tumult.
The Lord of hosts is with us;*
 the God of Jacob is our stronghold.
There is a river whose streams
   make glad the city of God,*
 the holy habitation of the Most High.
God is in the midst of her;
   she shall not be overthrown;*
 God shall help her at the break of day.
The nations make much ado
   and the kingdoms are shaken;*
 God has spoken and the earth shall melt away.
The Lord of hosts is with us;*
 the God of Jacob is our stronghold.
Come now and look upon the works of the Lord,*
 what awesome things he has done on earth.
It is he who makes war to cease in all the world;*
 he breaks the bow and shatters the spear
   and burns the shields with fire.
'Be still, then, and know that I am God;*
 I will be exalted among the nations;
   I will be exalted in the earth.'
The Lord of hosts is with us;*
 the God of Jacob is our stronghold.

A Song of Jerusalem our Mother (from Isaiah 66)

'Rejoice with Jerusalem and be glad for her
all you who love her', says the Lord.

'Rejoice with her in joy,
all you who mourn over her,

'That you may drink deeply with delight
from her consoling breast.'

For thus says our God,
'You shall be nursed and carried on her arm.

'As a mother comforts her children,
so I will comfort you;

'You shall see and your heart shall rejoice;
you shall flourish like the grass of the fields.'

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Ecclesiasticus 24:17-22]:

Like the vine I bud forth delights,
   and my blossoms become glorious and abundant fruit.
'Come to me, you who desire me,
   and eat your fill of my fruits.
For the memory of me is sweeter than honey,
   and the possession of me sweeter than the honeycomb.
Those who eat of me will hunger for more,
   and those who drink of me will thirst for more.
Whoever obeys me will not be put to shame,
   and those who work with me will not sin.'

HYMN
Words: Latin, fifteenth century; trans. Laurence Housman, 1906
Tune: Collaudemus
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/p/p030.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/p/p030.html

Portal of the world's salvation,
lo, a Virgin pure and mild,
humble-hearted, high in station,
form of beauty undefiled,
crown of earth's anticipation,
comes the Mother-maid with child.

Here the serpent's power subduing,
see the bush unburned by fire,
Gideon's fleece of heaven's imbuing,
Aaron's rod of bright attire,
fair, and pure, and peace-ensuing,
spouse of Solomon's desire.

Jesse's branch received its flower,
Mother of Emmanuel,
portal sealed and mystic bower
promised by Ezekiel,
rock of Daniel's dream, whose power
smote, and lo, the image fell!

See in flesh so great a wonder
by the power of God ordained,--
him, whose feet all worlds lay under,
in a Virgin's womb contained;--
so on earth, her bonds to sunder,
righteousness from heaven hath rained.

Virgin sweet, with love o'erflowing,
to the hills in haste she fares;
on a kindred bestowing
blessing from the joy she bears;
waiting while with mystic showing
time the sacred birth prepares.

What fair joy o'ershone that dwelling,
called so great a guest to greet;
what her joy whose love compelling
found a rest for Mary's feet,
when, the bliss of time foretelling,
lo, the Voice and Word did meet!

God most high, the heaven's foundation,
ruler of eternity;
Jesus, who for man's salvation
came in flesh to make us free;
Spirit, moving all creation,
evermore be praise to thee!

SECOND READING [John 2:1-12]:

On the third day there was a wedding in Cana of Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there. Jesus
and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding. When the wine gave out, the mother of
Jesus said to him, 'They have no wine.' And Jesus said to her, 'Woman, what concern is that to
you and to me? My hour has not yet come.' His mother said to the servants, 'Do whatever he tells
you.' Now standing there were six stone water-jars for the Jewish rites of purification, each
holding twenty or thirty gallons. Jesus said to them, 'Fill the jars with water.' And they filled them
up to the brim. He said to them, 'Now draw some out, and take it to the chief steward.' So they
took it. When the steward tasted the water that had become wine, and did not know where it
came from (though the servants who had drawn the water knew), the steward called the
bridegroom and said to him, 'Everyone serves the good wine first, and then the inferior wine after
the guests have become drunk. But you have kept the good wine until now.' Jesus did this, the
first of his signs, in Cana of Galilee, and revealed his glory; and his disciples believed in him.
After this he went down to Capernaum with his mother, his brothers, and his disciples; and they
remained there for a few days.

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
The Holy One of Israel,
the God of might and God of tenderness, is in our midst.
Let us pray to the Lord,
saying: Lord, hear our prayer.

For the Church--
     its members,
     its mission,
     its ministry--
let us pray to the Lord.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the lowly--
     society's forgotten ones,
     society's neglected ones,
     society's unwanted ones--
let us pray to the Lord.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the hungry--
     those starving for food and drink,
     those craving attentive care,
     those thirsting for justice--
let us pray to the Lord.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the persecuted--
     imprisoned for beliefs,
     oppressed by poverty,
     victimized by war and strife--
let us pray to the Lord.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For care and healing--
     for the brokenhearted,
     for the despairing,
     for the terrorized--
let us pray to the Lord.
Lord, hear our prayer.

Your kingdom come, O Lord,
with deliverance for the needy,
with peace for the righteous,
with overflowing blessings for all nations,
with glory, honour and praise
   for the only Saviour,
Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Almighty God,
who with special grace made the blessed Virgin Mary
to be the mother of your only Son:
by the same grace make us holy in body and soul
and ever preserve in us your gifts of humility and love;

May God make safe to us each step,
May God open to us each door,
May God make clear to us each road.
May God enfold us in loving arms.Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen Benner based on phrases in a
prayer from _We Give You Thanks and Praise: The Ambrosian
Eucharistic Prefaces_, translated by Alan Griffiths, (c) The
Canterbury Press Norwich, 1999.

The closing prayer is by Bruce Prewer, 2001. .

The Feast of the Birth of the Blessed Virgin Mary has been celebrated in the
Church at least since the 8th Century. The Church's calendar observes the
birthdays of only two saints: Saint John the Baptist (June 24), and Mary,
Mother of Jesus.
There is nothing contained in Scripture about the birth of Mary or her
parentage, though Joseph's lineage is given in the first chapter of the Gospel of
Matthew. The names of Mary's parents, Joachim and Anna, appear in the
apocryphal "Gospel of James", a book dating from the 2nd Century AD, not
part of the authentic canon of Scripture. According to this account, Joachim
and Anna were also beyond the years of child-bearing, but prayed and fasted
that God would grant their desire for a child.
In celebrating the nativity of Mary, Christians anticipate the Incarnation and
birth of her Divine Son, and give honor to the mother of Our Lord and Savior.