OREMUS: 7 September 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Sep 6 20:44:47 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Friday, September 7, 2007

Blessed are you, Almighty God, Father of all mercies,
we give you thanks for all your goodness and loving-kindness
to us and to all whom you have made.
We bless you for our creation, preservation,
and all the blessings of this life;
but above all for your immeasurable love
in the redemption of the world by our Lord Jesus Christ;
for the means of grace, and for the hope of glory.

I will cry aloud to God;*
 I will cry aloud and he will hear me.
In the day of my trouble I sought the Lord;*
 my hands were stretched out by night and did not tire;
   I refused to be comforted.
I think of God, I am restless,*
 I ponder and my spirit faints.
You will not let my eyelids close;*
 I am troubled and I cannot speak.
I consider the days of old;*
 I remember the years long past;
I commune with my heart in the night;*
 I ponder and search my mind.
Will the Lord cast me off for ever?*
 will he no more show his favour?
Has his loving-kindness come to an end for ever?*
 has his promise failed for evermore?
Has God forgotten to be gracious?*
 has he, in his anger, withheld his compassion?
And I said, 'My grief is this:*
 the right hand of the Most High has lost its power.'
I will remember the works of the Lord,*
 and call to mind your wonders of old time.
I will meditate on all your acts*
 and ponder your mighty deeds.
Your way, O God, is holy;*
 who is so great a god as our God?
You are the God who works wonders*
 and have declared your power among the peoples.
By your strength you have redeemed your people,*
 the children of Jacob and Joseph.
The waters saw you, O God;
   the waters saw you and trembled;*
 the very depths were shaken.
The clouds poured out water; the skies thundered;*
 your arrows flashed to and fro;
The sound of your thunder was in the whirlwind;
   your lightnings lit up the world;*
 the earth trembled and shook.
Your way was in the sea,
   and your paths in the great waters,*
 yet your footsteps were not seen.
You led your people like a flock*
 by the hand of Moses and Aaron.

A Song of Solomon (cf. Song of Songs 8:6-7)

Set me as a seal upon your heart,
as a seal upon your arm;

For love is strong as death, passion fierce as the grave;
its flashes are flashes of fire, a raging flame.

Many waters cannot quench love,
neither can the floods drown it.

If all the wealth of our house were offered for love,
it would be utterly scorned.

FIRST READING [Jeremiah 16:14--17:4]:

Therefore, the days are surely coming, says the Lord, when it shall
no longer be said, 'As the Lord lives who brought the people of
Israel up out of the land of Egypt', but 'As the Lord lives who
brought the people of Israel up out of the land of the north and out
of all the lands where he had driven them.' For I will bring them
back to their own land that I gave to their ancestors.

I am now sending for many fishermen, says the Lord, and they shall
catch them; and afterwards I will send for many hunters, and they
shall hunt them from every mountain and every hill, and out of the
clefts of the rocks. For my eyes are on all their ways; they are not
hidden from my presence, nor is their iniquity concealed from my
sight. And I will doubly repay their iniquity and their sin, because
they have polluted my land with the carcasses of their detestable
idols, and have filled my inheritance with their abominations.

O Lord, my strength and my stronghold,
   my refuge on the day of trouble,
to you shall the nations come
   from the ends of the earth and say:
Our ancestors have inherited nothing but lies,
   worthless things in which there is no profit.
Can mortals make for themselves gods?
   Such are no gods!

 'Therefore I am surely going to teach them, this time I am going to
teach them my power and my might, and they shall know that my name is
the Lord.'

The sin of Judah is written with an iron pen; with a diamond point it
is engraved on the tablet of their hearts, and on the horns of their
altars, while their children remember their altars and their sacred
poles, beside every green tree, and on the high hills, on the
mountains in the open country. Your wealth and all your treasures I
will give for spoil as the price of your sin throughout all your
territory. By your own act you shall lose the heritage that I gave
you, and I will make you serve your enemies in a land that you do not
know, for in my anger a fire is kindled that shall burn for ever.

HYMN
Words: Somerset Corry Lowry (1855-1932), 1893
Tune: Everton, Bethany, Alta Trinita beata

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/s/s256.html

Son of God, eternal Savior,
Source of life and truth and grace,
Son of Man, whose birth among us
hallows all our human race,
thou, our Head, who, throned in glory,
for thine own dost ever plead,
fill us with thy love and pity,
heal our wrongs and help our needs.

As thou, Lord, hast lived for others
so may we for others live;
freely have thy gifts been granted,
freely may thy servants give.
Thine the gold and thine the silver,
thine the wealth of land and sea,
we but stewards of thy bounty,
held in solemn trust for thee.

Come, O Christ, and reign among us,
King of Love and Prince of Peace,
hush the storm of strife and passion,
bid its cruel discords cease;
by thy patient years of toiling,
by thy silent hours of pain,
quench our fevered thirst of pleasure,
shame our selfish greed of gain.

Dark the path that lies behind us,
strewn with wrecks and stained with blood;
but before us gleams the vision
of the coming brotherhood.
See the Christlike host advancing,
high and lowly, great and small,
linked in bonds of common service
for the common Lord of all.

Son of God, eternal Savior,
Source of life and truth and grace,
Son of Man, whose birth among us
hallows all our human race,
thou who prayedst, thou who willest
that thy people should be one,
grant, O grant our hope's fruition:
here on earth thy will be done.

SECOND READING [Colossians 4:7-17]:

Tychicus will tell you all the news about me; he is a beloved brother, a faithful
minister, and a fellow-servant in the Lord. I have sent him to you for this very
purpose, so that you may know how we are and that he may encourage your hearts; he
is coming with Onesimus, the faithful and beloved brother, who is one of you. They
will tell you about everything here.
Aristarchus my fellow-prisoner greets you, as does Mark the cousin of Barnabas,
concerning whom you have received instructions if he comes to you, welcome him.
And Jesus who is called Justus greets you. These are the only ones of the circumcision
among my co-workers for the kingdom of God, and they have been a comfort to me.
Epaphras, who is one of you, a servant of Christ Jesus, greets you. He is always
wrestling in his prayers on your behalf, so that you may stand mature and fully assured
in everything that God wills. For I testify for him that he has worked hard for you and
for those in Laodicea and in Hierapolis. Luke, the beloved physician, and Demas greet
you. Give my greetings to the brothers and sisters in Laodicea, and to Nympha and the
church in her house. And when this letter has been read among you, have it read also
in the church of the Laodiceans; and see that you read also the letter from Laodicea.
And say to Archippus, 'See that you complete the task that you have received in the
Lord.'

We pray for the coming of God's kingdom, saying,
Father, by your Spirit:
bring in your kingdom.

You came in Jesus to bring good news to the poor,
sight to the blind, freedom to the captives,
and salvation to your people:
anoint us with your Spirit;
rouse us to work in his name.
Father, by your Spirit,
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to bring help to the poor
and freedom to the oppressed:
Father, by your Spirit,
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to tell the world
the good news of your healing love:
Father, by your Spirit,
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to those who mourn,
to bring joy and gladness instead of grief:
Father, by your Spirit,
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to proclaim that the time is here
for you to save your people:
Father, by your Spirit,
bring in your kingdom.
[PfW]

God of saving power,
remember us in times of sorrow and despair.
Redeem us with your strength
and guide us through the wilderness.
We ask this in the Name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

Be a bright flame before us, O God,
and a guiding star above us.
Be a smooth path below us
and a kindly shepherd behind us,
today, tomorrow, and always. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses sentences from prayers in The Book of
Common Prayer According to the Use of The Episcopal Church_.

The closing sentence is by St Columba.