OREMUS: 5 September 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Sep 4 17:00:00 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Wednesday, September 5, 2007
Mother Teresa of Calcutta, 1997

Blessed are you, Almighty God, Father of all mercies,
we give you thanks for all your goodness and loving-kindness
to us and to all whom you have made.
We bless you for our creation, preservation,
and all the blessings of this life;
but above all for your immeasurable love
in the redemption of the world by our Lord Jesus Christ;
for the means of grace, and for the hope of glory.

I will sing of mercy and justice;*
 to you, O Lord, will I sing praises.
I will strive to follow a blameless course;
   O when will you come to me?*
 I will walk with sincerity of heart within my house.
I will set no worthless thing before my eyes;*
 I hate the doers of evil deeds;
   they shall not remain with me.
A crooked heart shall be far from me;*
 I will not know evil.
My eyes are upon the faithful in the land,
   that they may dwell with me,*
 and only those who lead a blameless life
   shall be my servants.
Those who act deceitfully shall not dwell in my house,*
 and those who tell lies shall not continue in my sight.

   Happy are they who fear the Lord*
 and have great delight in his commandments!
Their descendants will be mighty in the land;*
 the generation of the upright will be blessed.
Wealth and riches will be in their house,*
 and their righteousness will last for ever.
Light shines in the darkness for the upright;*
 the righteous are merciful and full of compassion.
It is good for them to be generous in lending*
 and to manage their affairs with justice.
For they will never be shaken;*
 the righteous will be kept in everlasting remembrance.
They will not be afraid of any evil rumours;*
 their heart is right;
   they put their trust in the Lord.
Their heart is established and will not shrink,*
 until they see their desire upon their enemies.
They have given freely to the poor,*
 and their righteousness stands fast for ever;
   they will hold up their head with honour.
The wicked will see it and be angry;
   they will gnash their teeth and pine away;*
 the desires of the wicked will perish.

Glory and Honor (Revelation 4:11; 5:9b)

You are worthy, our Lord and God,
to receive glory and honour and power.

For you have created all things,
and by your will they have their being.

You are worthy, O Lamb, for you were slain,
and by your blood you ransomed for God
saints from every tribe and language and nation.

You have made them to be a kingdom and priests
serving our God,
and they will reign with you on earth.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Jeremiah 3:15-25]:

I will give you shepherds after my own heart, who will
feed you with knowledge and understanding. And when you
have multiplied and increased in the land, in those days,
says the Lord, they shall no longer say, 'The ark of the
covenant of the Lord.' It shall not come to mind, or be
remembered, or missed; nor shall another one be made. At
that time Jerusalem shall be called the throne of the
Lord, and all nations shall gather to it, to the presence
of the Lord in Jerusalem, and they shall no longer
stubbornly follow their own evil will. In those days the
house of Judah shall join the house of Israel, and
together they shall come from the land of the north to
the land that I gave your ancestors for a heritage.

I thought
   how I would set you among my children,
and give you a pleasant land,
   the most beautiful heritage of all the nations.
And I thought you would call me, My Father,
   and would not turn from following me.
Instead, as a faithless wife leaves her husband,
   so you have been faithless to me, O house of
Israel,

says the Lord.

A voice on the bare heights is heard,
   the plaintive weeping of Israel's children,
because they have perverted their way,
   they have forgotten the Lord their God:
Return, O faithless children,
   I will heal your faithlessness.

'Here we come to you;
   for you are the Lord our God.
Truly the hills are a delusion,
   the orgies on the mountains.
Truly in the Lord our God
   is the salvation of Israel.

'But from our youth the shameful thing has devoured all
for which our ancestors had laboured, their flocks and
their herds, their sons and their daughters. Let us lie
down in our shame, and let our dishonour cover us; for we
have sinned against the Lord our God, we and our
ancestors, from our youth even to this day; and we have
not obeyed the voice of the Lord our God.'

HYMN
Words: Shirley Erena Murray, alt.
Tune: Rhuddlan
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g/g203.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g
/g203.html

God of freedom, God of justice,
God whose love is strong as death,
God who saw the dark of prison,
God who knew the price of faith:
touch our world of sad oppression
with your Spirit's healing breath.

Rid the earth of torture's terror,
God whose hands were nailed to wood;
hear the cries of pain and protest,
God who shed the tears and blood;
move in us the power of pity,
restless for the common good.

Make in us a captive conscience
quick to hear, to act, to plead;
make us truly sisters, brothers,
of whatever race or creed:
teach us to be fully human,
open to each other's need.

SECOND READING [Luke 14:15-24]:

One of the dinner guests, on hearing this, said to Jesus, 'Blessed is anyone who will
eat bread in the kingdom of God!' Then Jesus said to him, 'Someone gave a great
dinner and invited many. At the time for the dinner he sent his slave to say to those
who had been invited, "Come; for everything is ready now." But they all alike began to
make excuses. The first said to him, "I have bought a piece of land, and I must go out
and see it; please accept my apologies." Another said, "I have bought five yoke of
oxen, and I am going to try them out; please accept my apologies." Another said, "I
have just been married, and therefore I cannot come." So the slave returned and
reported this to his master. Then the owner of the house became angry and said to his
slave, "Go out at once into the streets and lanes of the town and bring in the poor, the
crippled, the blind, and the lame." And the slave said, "Sir, what you ordered has been
done, and there is still room." Then the master said to the slave, "Go out into the
roads and lanes, and compel people to come in, so that my house may be filled. For I
tell you, none of those who were invited will taste my dinner." '

We seek you daily, O Father,
and you are there daily to be found.

Wherever we seek you,
at home, at work, on the highway,
you are there, O Lord.

Whatever we do,
eating and drinking,
writing or working,
readings, meditating or praying,
you are there, O Lord.

If we are oppressed,
you defend us, O Lord.

If we hunger,
you feed us, O Lord.

Whatever we need,
you give us, O Lord.

Make us worthy, Lord,
to serve our sisters and our brothers
throughout the world who live and die
in poverty and hunger.
Give them, through our hands,
this day their daily bread,
and by our understanding love,
give peace and joy. Amen.

God of compassion,
you regard the forsaken
and give hope to the crushed in spirit
give us grace like your servant Mother Teresa
to hear those who cry to you in distress,
that they may be joined to the company
of those who raise a song of thanksgiving
to your glory, O Father,
through the Son and in the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Be a bright flame before us, O God,
and a guiding star above us.
Be a smooth path below us
and a kindly shepherd behind us,
today, tomorrow, and always. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses sentences from prayers in The Book of
Common Prayer According to the Use of The Episcopal Church_.

The first collect is by Mother Teresa and the closing sentence is by St Columba.