OREMUS: 4 September 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Sep 3 17:00:03 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Blessed are you, Almighty God, Father of all mercies,
we give you thanks for all your goodness and loving-kindness
to us and to all whom you have made.
We bless you for our creation, preservation,
and all the blessings of this life;
but above all for your immeasurable love
in the redemption of the world by our Lord Jesus Christ;
for the means of grace, and for the hope of glory.

Bow down your ear, O Lord, and answer me,*
 for I am poor and in misery.
Keep watch over my life, for I am faithful;*
 save your servant who trusts in you.
Be merciful to me, O Lord, for you are my God;*
 I call upon you all the day long.
Gladden the soul of your servant,*
 for to you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving,*
 and great is your love towards all who call upon you.
Give ear, O Lord, to my prayer,*
 and attend to the voice of my supplications.
In the time of my trouble I will call upon you,*
 for you will answer me.
Among the gods there is none like you, O Lord,*
 nor anything like your works.
All nations you have made
   will come and worship you, O Lord,*
 and glorify your name.
For you are great; you do wondrous things;*
 and you alone are God.
Teach me your way, O Lord,
   and I will walk in your truth;*
 knit my heart to you that I may fear your name.
I will thank you, O Lord my God, with all my heart,*
 and glorify your name for evermore.
For great is your love towards me;*
 you have delivered me from the nethermost Pit.
The arrogant rise up against me, O God,
   and a violent band seeks my life;*
 they have not set you before their eyes.
But you, O Lord, are gracious and full of compassion,*
 slow to anger and full of kindness and truth.
Turn to me and have mercy upon me;*
 give your strength to your servant;
   and save the child of your handmaid.
Show me a sign of your favour,
   so that those who hate me may see it and be ashamed;*
 because you, O Lord, have helped me and comforted me.

A Song of God's Chosen One (Isaiah 11.1-4a,6,9)

There shall come forth a shoot from the stock of Jesse,
and a branch shall grow out of his roots.

And the Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him,
the spirit of wisdom and understanding,

The spirit of counsel and might,
the spirit of knowledge and the fear of the Lord.

He shall not judge by what his eyes see,
or decide by what his ears hear,

But with righteousness he shall judge the poor,
and decide with equity for the meek of the earth.

The wolf shall dwell with the lamb,
and the leopard shall lie down with the kid.

The calf, the lion and the fatling together,
with a little child to lead them.

They shall not hurt or destroy in all my holy mountain,
for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord
as the waters cover the sea.

FIRST READING [Jeremiah 3:1-14]:

If a man divorces his wife
   and she goes from him
and becomes another man's wife,
   will he return to her?
Would not such a land be greatly polluted?
You have played the whore with many lovers;
   and would you return to me?
says the Lord.
Look up to the bare heights, and see!
   Where have you not been lain with?
By the waysides you have sat waiting for lovers,
   like a nomad in the wilderness.
You have polluted the land
   with your whoring and wickedness.
Therefore the showers have been withheld,
   and the spring rain has not come;
yet you have the forehead of a whore,
   you refuse to be ashamed.
Have you not just now called to me,
   'My Father, you are the friend of my youth
will he be angry for ever,
   will he be indignant to the end?'
This is how you have spoken,
   but you have done all the evil that you could.

 The Lord said to me in the days of King Josiah: Have you seen what
she did, that faithless one, Israel, how she went up on every high
hill and under every green tree, and played the whore there? And I
thought, 'After she has done all this she will return to me'; but she
did not return, and her false sister Judah saw it. She saw that for
all the adulteries of that faithless one, Israel, I had sent her away
with a decree of divorce; yet her false sister Judah did not fear,
but she too went and played the whore. Because she took her whoredom
so lightly, she polluted the land, committing adultery with stone and
tree. Yet for all this her false sister Judah did not return to me
with her whole heart, but only in pretence, says the Lord.

 Then the Lord said to me: Faithless Israel has shown herself less
guilty than false Judah. Go, and proclaim these words towards the
north, and say:
Return, faithless Israel,
says the Lord.
I will not look on you in anger,
   for I am merciful,
says the Lord;
I will not be angry for ever.
Only acknowledge your guilt,
   that you have rebelled against the Lord your God,
and scattered your favours among strangers under every green
tree,
   and have not obeyed my voice,
says the Lord.
Return, O faithless children,
says the Lord,
   for I am your master;
I will take you, one from a city and two from a family,
   and I will bring you to Zion.

HYMN
Words: Robert Bridges (1844-1930);
based on the German on Joachim Neander (1650-1680)
Tune: Michael

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a133.html

All my hope on God is founded;
he doth still my trust renew,
me through change and chance he guideth,
only good and only true.
God unknown,
he alone
calls my heart to be his own.

Pride of man and earthly glory,
sword and crown betray his trust;
what with care and toil he buildeth,
tower and temple fall to dust.
But God's power,
hour by hour,
is my temple and my tower.

God's great goodness aye endureth,
deep his wisdom, passing thought:
splendor, light and life attend him,
beauty springeth out of naught.
Evermore
from his store
newborn worlds rise and adore.

Daily doth the almighty Giver
bounteous gifts on us bestow;
his desire our soul delighteth,
pleasure leads us where we go.
Love doth stand
at his hand;
joy doth wait on his command.

Still from man to God eternal
sacrifice of praise be done,
high above all praises praising
for the gift of Christ, his Son.
Christ doth call
one and all:
ye who follow shall not fall.

SECOND READING [Titus 1:1-9]:

Paul, a servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ, for the sake of the faith of God's
elect and the knowledge of the truth that is in accordance with godliness, in the hope
of eternal life that God, who never lies, promised before the ages began  in due time
he revealed his word through the proclamation with which I have been entrusted by
the command of God our Saviour,
To Titus, my loyal child in the faith we share:
Grace and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Saviour.
I left you behind in Crete for this reason, that you should put in order what remained
to be done, and should appoint elders in every town, as I directed you: someone who
is blameless, married only once, whose children are believers, not accused of
debauchery and not rebellious. For a bishop, as God's steward, must be blameless; he
must not be arrogant or quick-tempered or addicted to wine or violent or greedy for
gain; but he must be hospitable, a lover of goodness, prudent, upright, devout, and
self-controlled. He must have a firm grasp of the word that is trustworthy in
accordance with the teaching, so that he may be able both to preach with sound
doctrine and to refute those who contradict it.

Ever-present Spirit of God,
as we abide with you and you with us,
we cry out for our brothers and sisters:
Healing Spirit,
hear our prayer.

For all who suffer want, loneliness or depression:
Healing Spirit,
hear our prayer.

For racial, cultural and national groups
who suffer prejudice, oppressive leaders
or economic exploitation.
Healing Spirit,
hear our prayer.

For the Church in those places where it suffers
blindness, controversy, disorientation,
persecution or change.
Healing Spirit,
hear our prayer.

For those we have to tried to love and serve today.
Healing Spirit,
hear our prayer.

God of mercy,
fill us with the love of your Name,
and help us to proclaim you before the world,
that all peoples may celebrate your glory
in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Be a bright flame before us, O God,
and a guiding star above us.
Be a smooth path below us
and a kindly shepherd behind us,
today, tomorrow, and always. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses sentences from prayers in The Book of
Common Prayer According to the Use of The Episcopal Church_.

The closing sentence is by St Columba.