OREMUS: 30 October 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Oct 29 21:32:01 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Blessed are you, Holy God,
your justice is without partiality
and your  mercy embraces all who live.
You have shown us through your Son
that through love of you and our neighbor,
hatred may yield to forgiveness
and quarrels give way to reconciliation.

Bow down your ear, O Lord, and answer me,*
 for I am poor and in misery.
Keep watch over my life, for I am faithful;*
 save your servant who trusts in you.
Be merciful to me, O Lord, for you are my God;*
 I call upon you all the day long.
Gladden the soul of your servant,*
 for to you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving,*
 and great is your love towards all who call upon you.
Give ear, O Lord, to my prayer,*
 and attend to the voice of my supplications.
In the time of my trouble I will call upon you,*
 for you will answer me.
Among the gods there is none like you, O Lord,*
 nor anything like your works.
All nations you have made
   will come and worship you, O Lord,*
 and glorify your name.
For you are great; you do wondrous things;*
 and you alone are God.
Teach me your way, O Lord,
   and I will walk in your truth;*
 knit my heart to you that I may fear your name.
I will thank you, O Lord my God, with all my heart,*
 and glorify your name for evermore.
For great is your love towards me;*
 you have delivered me from the nethermost Pit.
The arrogant rise up against me, O God,
   and a violent band seeks my life;*
 they have not set you before their eyes.
But you, O Lord, are gracious and full of compassion,*
 slow to anger and full of kindness and truth.
Turn to me and have mercy upon me;*
 give your strength to your servant;
   and save the child of your handmaid.
Show me a sign of your favour,
   so that those who hate me may see it and be ashamed;*
 because you, O Lord, have helped me and comforted me.

   Happy are they who fear the Lord*
 and have great delight in his commandments!
Their descendants will be mighty in the land;*
 the generation of the upright will be blessed.
Wealth and riches will be in their house,*
 and their righteousness will last for ever.
Light shines in the darkness for the upright;*
 the righteous are merciful and full of compassion.
It is good for them to be generous in lending*
 and to manage their affairs with justice.
For they will never be shaken;*
 the righteous will be kept in everlasting remembrance.
They will not be afraid of any evil rumours;*
 their heart is right;
   they put their trust in the Lord.
Their heart is established and will not shrink,*
 until they see their desire upon their enemies.
They have given freely to the poor,*
 and their righteousness stands fast for ever;
   they will hold up their head with honour.
The wicked will see it and be angry;
   they will gnash their teeth and pine away;*
 the desires of the wicked will perish.

A Song of the Wilderness (Isaiah 35.1,2b-4a,4c-6,10)

The wilderness and the dry land shall rejoice,
the desert shall blossom and burst into song.

They shall see the glory of the Lord,
the majesty of our God.

Strengthen the weary hands,
and make firm the feeble knees.

Say to the anxious, 'Be strong, fear not,
your God is coming with judgement,
coming with judgement to save you.'

Then shall the eyes of the blind be opened,
and the ears of the deaf unstopped;

Then shall the lame leap like a hart,
and the tongue of the dumb sing for joy.

For waters shall break forth in the wilderness,
and streams in the desert;

The ransomed of the Lord shall return with singing,
with everlasting joy upon their heads.

Joy and gladness shall be theirs,
and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.

FIRST READING [Romans 8:18-25]:

I consider that the sufferings of this present time are
not worth comparing with the glory about to be revealed
to us. For the creation waits with eager longing for the
revealing of the children of God; for the creation was
subjected to futility, not of its own will but by the
will of the one who subjected it, in hope that the
creation itself will be set free from its bondage to
decay and will obtain the freedom of the glory of the
children of God. We know that the whole creation has been
groaning in labour pains until now; and not only the
creation, but we ourselves, who have the first fruits of
the Spirit, groan inwardly while we wait for adoption,
the redemption of our bodies. For in hope we were saved.
Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what
is seen? But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait
for it with patience.

HYMN
Words: Robert Bridges (1844-1930);
based on the German on Joachim Neander (1650-1680)
Tune: Michael

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a133.html

All my hope on God is founded;
he doth still my trust renew,
me through change and chance he guideth,
only good and only true.
God unknown,
he alone
calls my heart to be his own.

Pride of man and earthly glory,
sword and crown betray his trust;
what with care and toil he buildeth,
tower and temple fall to dust.
But God's power,
hour by hour,
is my temple and my tower.

God's great goodness aye endureth,
deep his wisdom, passing thought:
splendor, light and life attend him,
beauty springeth out of naught.
Evermore
from his store
newborn worlds rise and adore.

Daily doth the almighty Giver
bounteous gifts on us bestow;
his desire our soul delighteth,
pleasure leads us where we go.
Love doth stand
at his hand;
joy doth wait on his command.

Still from man to God eternal
sacrifice of praise be done,
high above all praises praising
for the gift of Christ, his Son.
Christ doth call
one and all:
ye who follow shall not fall.

SECOND READING [Luke 13:18-21]:

Jesus said, 'What is the kingdom of God like? And to what should I compare it? It is
like a mustard seed that someone took and sowed in the garden; it grew and became a
tree, and the birds of the air made nests in its branches.'
And again he said, 'To what should I compare the kingdom of God? It is like yeast
that a woman took and mixed in with three measures of flour until all of it was
leavened.'

God our Father,
you gave your Son, Jesus Christ
to share our life on earth,
to grow in wisdom,
to toil with his hands,
and to make known the ways of your kingdom.

We pray for the community
those who work....
the unemployed....
those in education....
those in research....
those in communications....
those who maintain the life of the community....
the Church, especially

God our Father, we give you thanks
for Christ's revelation of yourself,
his care for people,
and his joy in obedience....
for the value he gave to human labour,
the strength he promised us for service,
the call to follow in his way....
for all opportunities of work and of leisure,
all truth that we have learned,
and all discoveries that we have made....

Give us growing reverence for the truth,
and such wisdom in the use of knowledge
that your kingdom may be advanced
and your name glorified;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

God of mercy,
fill us with the love of your Name,
and help us to proclaim you before the world,
that all peoples may celebrate your glory
in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

May the coming of Christ in glory find us
ever watchful in prayer,
strong in truth and love,
and faithful in the breaking of the bread.
Then, at last, all peoples will be free,
and all divisions healed. Amen.