OREMUS: 29 October 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Oct 28 18:13:15 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Monday, October 29, 2007
James Hannington, Bishop of Eastern Equatorial Africa, Martyr in Uganda, 1885

Blessed are you, Holy God,
your justice is without partiality
and your  mercy embraces all who live.
You have shown us through your Son
that through love of you and our neighbor,
hatred may yield to forgiveness
and quarrels give way to reconciliation.

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High,*
 abides under the shadow of the Almighty.
He shall say to the Lord,
   'You are my refuge and my stronghold,*
 my God in whom I put my trust.'
He shall deliver you from the snare of the hunter*
 and from the deadly pestilence.
He shall cover you with his pinions,
   and you shall find refuge under his wings;*
 his faithfulness shall be a shield and buckler.
You shall not be afraid of any terror by night,*
 nor of the arrow that flies by day;
Of the plague that stalks in the darkness,*
 nor of the sickness that lays waste at midday.
A thousand shall fall at your side
   and ten thousand at your right hand,*
 but it shall not come near you.
Your eyes have only to behold*
 to see the reward of the wicked.
Because you have made the Lord your refuge,*
 and the Most High your habitation.
There shall no evil happen to you,*
 neither shall any plague come near your dwelling.
For he shall give his angels charge over you,*
 to keep you in all your ways.
They shall bear you in their hands,*
 lest you dash your foot against a stone.
You shall tread upon the lion and adder;*
 you shall trample the young lion and the serpent
   under your feet.
Because he is bound to me in love,
   therefore will I deliver him;*
 I will protect him, because he knows my name.
He shall call upon me and I will answer him;*
 I am with him in trouble,
   I will rescue him and bring him to honour.
With long life will I satisfy him,*
 and show him my salvation.

   I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart,*
 in the assembly of the upright, in the congregation.
Great are the deeds of the Lord!*
 they are studied by all who delight in them.
His work is full of majesty and splendour,*
 and his righteousness endures for ever.
He makes his marvellous works to be remembered;*
 the Lord is gracious and full of compassion.
He gives food to those who fear him;*
 he is ever mindful of his covenant.
He has shown his people the power of his works*
 in giving them the lands of the nations.
The works of his hands are faithfulness and justice;*
 all his commandments are sure.
They stand fast for ever and ever,*
 because they are done in truth and equity.
He sent redemption to his people;
   he commanded his covenant for ever;*
 holy and awesome is his name.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom;*
 those who act accordingly have a good understanding;
   his praise endures for ever.

A Song of God's Children (Romans 8:2,14,15b-19)

The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus
has set us free from the law of sin and death.

All who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God;
for we have received the Spirit that enables us to cry, 'Abba, Father'.

The Spirit himself bears witness that we are children of God
and if God's children, then heirs of God;

If heirs of God, then fellow-heirs with Christ;
since we suffer with him now, that we may be glorified with him.

These sufferings that we now endure
are not worth comparing to the glory that shall be revealed.

For the creation waits with eager longing
for the revealing of the children of God.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Romans 8:12-17]:

So then, brothers and sisters, we are debtors, not to the
flesh, to live according to the flesh  for if you live
according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the
Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will
live. For all who are led by the Spirit of God are
children of God. For you did not receive a spirit of
slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received a
spirit of adoption. When we cry, 'Abba! Father!' it is
that very Spirit bearing witness with our spirit that we
are children of God, and if children, then heirs, heirs
of God and joint heirs with Christ if, in fact, we suffer
with him so that we may also be glorified with him.

HYMN
Words: Margaret Clarkson (c)
Tune: Blaenwern, Nettleton

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l480.html

Lord, we hear your word with gladness:
you have spoken we rejoice:
words of love and life and freedom
help us make their truth our choice!
Now in holy celebration
for your Word we worship you;
spoken, written, known in Jesus,
ours today to prove anew.

May we hear with understanding,
by your Spirit taught and led;
may the springs of all our being
by your living Word be fed;
may our hearts accept with meekness
all the grace your light makes known;
may obedience mark our footsteps
till we make each word our own!

You have spoken; yours the fullness,
ours the wealth of this your Word:
debtors, then as living letters,
we must make our gospel heard!
By your Spirit's power transform us;
shed your saving light abroad
till our lives by love in action
show our world the truth of God!

SECOND READING [Luke 13:10-17]:

Now Jesus was teaching in one of the synagogues on the sabbath. And just then there
appeared a woman with a spirit that had crippled her for eighteen years. She was bent
over and was quite unable to stand up straight. When Jesus saw her, he called her over
and said, 'Woman, you are set free from your ailment.' When he laid his hands on her,
immediately she stood up straight and began praising God. But the leader of the
synagogue, indignant because Jesus had cured on the sabbath, kept saying to the
crowd, 'There are six days on which work ought to be done; come on those days and
be cured, and not on the sabbath day.' But the Lord answered him and said, 'You
hypocrites! Does not each of you on the sabbath untie his ox or his donkey from the
manger, and lead it away to give it water? And ought not this woman, a daughter of
Abraham whom Satan bound for eighteen long years, be set free from this bondage on
the sabbath day?' When he said this, all his opponents were put to shame; and the
entire crowd was rejoicing at all the wonderful things that he was doing.

maker of all good things and Father of all;
you have shown us in Christ the purpose of your creation
and call us to be responsible in the world.

We pray for the world
all the nations....
our own country....
those in authority....
the peace of the world....
racial harmony....
those who maintain order....

We pray for the Church, especially

Almighty God, we give you thanks
for the order of created things
the resources of the earth
and the gift of human life....

for the continuing work of creation,
man's share in it,
and for creative vision and inventive skill....

for your faithfulness to man in patience and in love,
and for every human response of obedience
and humble achievement....

May we delight in your purpose
and work to bring all things to their true end;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Holy Father,
you have revealed in your only begotten Son
the power of the new and everlasting covenant:
on this day, which we have made your own,
feed your people with the bread of heaven
as they recount your marvellous deeds;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Grant, O God,
that we who this day commemorate
your servant James Hannington and his fellow-martyrs of Uganda,
may, by their courage and devotion, be stirred up
to a deeper love of our Savior
and to perseverance in the Christian calling;

May the coming of Christ in glory find us
ever watchful in prayer,
strong in truth and love,
and faithful in the breaking of the bread.
Then, at last, all peoples will be free,
and all divisions healed. Amen.

Hymn (c) 1987 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
For permission to reproduce this hymn, contact:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com

Among the new nations of Africa, Uganda is the most predominantly Christian.
Mission work began there in the 1870's with the favor of King Mutesa, who
died in 1884. However, his son and successor, King Mwanga, opposed all
foreign presence, including the missions.
James Hannington, born 1847, was sent out from England in 1884 by the
Anglican Church as missionary Bishop of Eastern Equatorial Africa. As he was
travelling toward Uganda, he was apprehended by emissaries of King Mwanga.
He and his companions were brutally treated and, a week later, 29 October
1885, most of them were put to death. Hannington's last words were: "Go tell
your master that I have purchased the road to Uganda with my blood."
The first native martyr was the Roman Catholic Joseph Mkasa Balikuddembe,
who was beheaded after having rebuked the king for his debauchery and for
the murder of Bishop Hannington. On 3 June 1886, a group of 32 men and
boys, 22 Roman Catholic and 10 Anglican, were burned at the stake. Most of
them were young pages in Mwanga's household, from their head-man, Charles
Lwanga, to the thirteen-year-old Kizito, who went to his death "laughing and
chattering." These and many other Ugandan Christians suffered for their faith
then and in the next few years. [James Kiefer, abridged]