OREMUS: 28 October 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Oct 27 19:47:42 GMT 2007

There you will find links to each day's Oremus, an archive for the past year, and the lectionary and
calendar we follow. You can access our online hymnal, collection of liturgical texts and a NRSV
Bible Browser at our site. We also provide links to other forms of Anglican daily prayer and
a site to leave and view prayer requests. An opportunity to support our work is also now
available.

OREMUS for Sunday, October 28, 2007
Saints Simon and Jude, Apostles

for your Son, the eternal Shepherd,
who will never forsake his flock.
We give you thanks for the witness
of the holy apostles and their successors
whom you have called to be shepherds of your Church.

An opening canticle may be sung.  <!--

I love the Lord,
   because he has heard the voice of my supplication,*  because he
has inclined his ear to me
   whenever I called upon him. The cords of
death entangled me;
   the grip of the grave took hold of me;*  I came to grief and
sorrow. Then I called upon the name of the Lord:*
 'O Lord, I pray you, save my life.' Gracious is
the Lord and righteous;*
 our God is full of compassion. The Lord watches over the
innocent;*
 I was brought very low and he helped me. Turn again to
your rest, O my soul,*
 for the Lord has treated you well. For you have rescued my
life from death,*
 my eyes from tears and my feet from stumbling. I will walk
in the presence of the Lord*
 in the land of the living. I believed, even when I said,
   'I have been brought very low.'*  In my distress I
said, 'No one can be trusted.' How shall I repay the
Lord*
 for all the good things he has done for me? I will lift up
the cup of salvation*
 and call upon the name of the Lord. I will fulfil my vows
to the Lord*
 in the presence of all his people. Precious in the sight of
the Lord*
 is the death of his servants. O Lord, I am your
servant;*
 I am your servant and the child of your handmaid;    you have
freed me from my bonds. I will offer you the sacrifice of
thanksgiving*
 and call upon the name of the Lord. I will fulfil my vows
to the Lord*
 in the presence of all his people. In the courts of the
Lord's house,*
 in the midst of you, O Jerusalem.
   Alleluia!

Glory and Honor (Revelation 4:11; 5:9b)

You are worthy, our Lord and God,
to receive glory and honour and power.

For you have created all things,
and by your will they have their being.

You are worthy, O Lamb, for you were slain,
and by your blood you ransomed for God
saints from every tribe and language and nation.

You have made them to be a kingdom and priests
serving our God,
and they will reign with you on earth.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [1 Maccabees 2:42-66]:

Then there united with them a company of Hasideans, mighty warriors of Israel, all who offered
themselves willingly for the law. And all who became fugitives to escape their troubles joined
them and reinforced them. They organized an army, and struck down sinners in their anger and
renegades in their wrath; the survivors fled to the Gentiles for safety. And Mattathias and his
friends went around and tore down the altars; they forcibly circumcised all the uncircumcised boys
that they found within the borders of Israel. They hunted down the arrogant, and the work
prospered in their hands. They rescued the law out of the hands of the Gentiles and kings, and
they never let the sinner gain the upper hand.
Now the days drew near for Mattathias to die, and he said to his sons: 'Arrogance and scorn have
now become strong; it is a time of ruin and furious anger. Now, my children, show zeal for the
law, and give your lives for the covenant of our ancestors.
'Remember the deeds of the ancestors, which they did in their generations; and you will receive
great honour and an everlasting name. Was not Abraham found faithful when tested, and it was
reckoned to him as righteousness? Joseph in the time of his distress kept the commandment, and
became lord of Egypt. Phinehas our ancestor, because he was deeply zealous, received the
covenant of everlasting priesthood. Joshua, because he fulfilled the command, became a judge in
Israel. Caleb, because he testified in the assembly, received an inheritance in the land. David,
because he was merciful, inherited the throne of the kingdom for ever. Elijah, because of great
zeal for the law, was taken up into heaven. Hananiah, Azariah, and Mishael believed and were
saved from the flame. Daniel, because of his innocence, was delivered from the mouth of the
lions.
'And so observe, from generation to generation, that none of those who put their trust in him will
lack strength. Do not fear the words of sinners, for their splendour will turn into dung and worms.
Today they will be exalted, but tomorrow they will not be found, because they will have returned
to the dust, and their plans will have perished. My children, be courageous and grow strong in the
law, for by it you will gain honour.
'Here is your brother Simeon who, I know, is wise in counsel; always listen to him; he shall be
your father. Judas Maccabeus has been a mighty warrior from his youth; he shall command the
army for you and fight the battle against the peoples.'

HYMN
Words: John Ellerton, 1875
Tune: Alleluia dulce carmen, Oriel
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t632.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t 632.html
Thou who sentest thine apostles
two and two before thy face,
partners in the night of toiling,
heirs together of thy grace,
throned at length, their labors ended,
each in his appointed place;

Praise to thee for thy champions
whom our hymns today proclaim:
one, whose zeal by thee enlightened
burned anew with nobler flame;
one, the kinsman of thy childhood,
brought at last to know thy Name.

Praise to thee! thy fire within them
spake in love and wrought in power:
seen in mighty signs and wonders
in thy Church's morning hour;
heard in tones of sternest warning
when the storms began to lower.

God the Father, great and wondrous
in thy works, to thee be praise;
King of saints, to thee be glory,
just and true in all thy ways;
praise to thee, from Both proceeding,
Holy Ghost, through endless days.

SECOND READING [Jude 1-4, 17-25]:

Jude, a servant of Jesus Christ and brother of James,
To those who are called, who are beloved in God the Father and kept safe for Jesus Christ:
May mercy, peace, and love be yours in abundance.
Beloved, while eagerly preparing to write to you about the salvation we share, I find it necessary
to write and appeal to you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to the saints.
For certain intruders have stolen in among you, people who long ago were designated for this
condemnation as ungodly, who pervert the grace of our God into licentiousness and deny our only
Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.
But you, beloved, must remember the predictions of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ; for
they said to you, 'In the last time there will be scoffers, indulging their own ungodly lusts.' It is
these worldly people, devoid of the Spirit, who are causing divisions. But you, beloved, build
yourselves up on your most holy faith; pray in the Holy Spirit; keep yourselves in the love of God;
look forward to the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ that leads to eternal life. And have mercy on
some who are wavering; save others by snatching them out of the fire; and have mercy on still
others with fear, hating even the tunic defiled by their bodies.
Now to him who is able to keep you from falling, and to make you stand without blemish in the
presence of his glory with rejoicing, to the only God our Saviour, through Jesus Christ our Lord,
be glory, majesty, power, and authority, before all time and now and for ever. Amen.

The Benedictus (Morning),
the <a
href="http://www.oremus.org/liturgy/ccp/canticle.cgi?37">Magnificat (Evening), or  <a
href="http://www.oremus.org/liturgy/ccp/canticle.cgi?39">Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
Let us pray for the whole people of God in Christ Jesus,  and for all people according to
their needs.

Almighty and everlasting God,
we humbly thank you for all the numerous blessings
which you have given us for the benefit of both body and soul. Though we are worthy of
none of your blessings,
you still abundantly provide according to your will.   By your grace, continue to grant all
that your people need  for time and eternity.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

O Lord,
we praise you especially for preserving your Word and Sacraments throughout the
generations by your apostles and their successors. Give to all bishops and to all who hear
them zeal for the truth,  so that they may always proclaim and promote the Gospel
and bring the good news of salvation to more people in our generation.   Lord, in your
mercy,
hear our prayer.

Faithful Father, continue to nurture and extend your Church on earth  by guiding our
choices of those who study for the priesthood.  Let your Spirit work unhindered in all our
seminaries and schools.   To all teachers and other servants of the Church
grant faithfulness to their callings,
and to all our people grant a love of your name
and the desire to serve you their whole life long.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For all the saints who, by your grace, now rest from their labors,  we give you thanks
(especially for ____________).
For those saints who are still strangers and pilgrims on earth,  grant protection and power
to remain in your Word,
keep the true faith, and live in ways that are fitting for members of your household.
Lord, in your mercy,

you have built your Church on the foundation
of the apostles and prophets
with Jesus Christ himself as the chief cornerstone:
We thank you for the apostles Simon and Jude,
and we pray that we may reveal your love and mercy,
and being joined together in unity of spirit
may grow into a holy temple, acceptable to you;
through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

May the coming of Christ in glory find us
ever watchful in prayer,
strong in truth and love,
and faithful in the breaking of the bread.
Then, at last, all peoples will be free,
and all divisions healed. Amen.

The canticle is from _Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition_, copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.
The biblical passage is from The New Revised Standard Version (Anglicized Edition), copyright
(c) 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of  the National Council of the
Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted by Stephen Benner from _We Give You
Thanks and Praise: The Ambrosian Eucharistic Prefaces_, translated by Alan Griffiths,
(c) The Canterbury Press Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is based (heavily adapted) from a prayer by the Lutheran Church--Missouri
Synod.

The collect is from _A Prayer Book for Australia_, (c) 1995, The Anglican
Church of Australia Trust Corporation.

On the various New Testament lists of the Twelve Apostles (Matthew 10:2-4; Mark 3:16-19;
Luke 6:14-16; Acts 1:13), the tenth and eleventh places are occupied by Simon the Zealot and by
Judas of James, also called Thaddaeus or Lebbaeus. Some ancient Christian writers say that
Simon and Jude went together as missionaries to Persia, and were martyred there. If this is true, it
explains, to some extent, our lack of historical information on them and also why they are usually
put together.
Simon is not mentioned by name in the New Testament except on these lists.  Judas (often called
Jude in English, but the Greek has Judas) is variously named, but this is not surprising. Before the
Crucifixion, there would be a need to distinguish him among the apostles from Judas Iscariot, and
after the Crucifixion there would be an additional reason for being emphatic about the distinction.
After the Last Supper it was Jude who asked Our Lord why he chose to reveal Himself only to
the disciples. He received the reply: "If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father
will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him." (John 14:22f) [James
Kiefer]