OREMUS: 27 October 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Oct 26 19:09:05 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Saturday, October 27, 2007

Blessed are you, tireless Guardian of your people,
you are always ready to hear the cry of your chosen ones;
you teach us to rely day and night on your care.
You impel us to seek your enduring justice
and your ever-present help
revealed in your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
Blessed be God for ever.>

Lord, you have been our refuge*
 from one generation to another.
Before the mountains were brought forth,
   or the land and the earth were born,*
 from age to age you are God.
You turn us back to the dust and say,*
 'Go back, O child of earth.'
For a thousand years in your sight
   are like yesterday when it is past*
 and like a watch in the night.
You sweep us away like a dream;*
 we fade away suddenly like the grass.
In the morning it is green and flourishes;*
 in the evening it is dried up and withered.
For we consume away in your displeasure;*
 we are afraid because of your wrathful indignation.
Our iniquities you have set before you,*
 and our secret sins in the light of your countenance.
When you are angry, all our days are gone;*
 we bring our years to an end like a sigh.
The span of our life is seventy years,
   perhaps in strength even eighty;*
 yet the sum of them is but labour and sorrow,
   for they pass away quickly and we are gone.
Who regards the power of your wrath?*
 who rightly fears your indignation?
So teach us to number our days*
 that we may apply our hearts to wisdom.
Return, O Lord; how long will you tarry?*
 be gracious to your servants.
Satisfy us by your loving-kindness in the morning;*
 so shall we rejoice and be glad all the days of our life.
Make us glad by the measure of the days
   that you afflicted us*
 and the years in which we suffered adversity.
Show your servants your works*
 and your splendour to their children.
May the graciousness of the Lord our God be upon us;*
 prosper the work of our hands;
   prosper our handiwork.

Psalm 110:1-5

The Lord said to my lord, 'Sit at my right hand,*
 until I make your enemies your footstool.'
The Lord will send the sceptre of your power
   out of Zion,*
 saying, 'Rule over your enemies round about you.
'Princely state has been yours
   from the day of your birth,*
 in the beauty of holiness have I begotten you,
   like dew from the womb of the morning.'
The Lord has sworn and he will not recant:*
 'You are a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek.'

A Song of God's Love (1 John 4:7-11,12b)
Beloved, let us love one another,
for love is of God;
everyone who loves is born of God and knows God.

Whoever does not love does not know God,
for God is love.

In this the love of God was revealed among us,
that God sent his only Son into the world,
so that we might live through him.

In this is love,
not that we loved God but that he loved us,
and sent his Son to be the expiation for our sins.

Beloved, since God loved us so much,
we ought also to love one another.

For if we love one another, God abides in us,
and God's love will be perfected in us.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Romans 8:1-11]:

There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are
in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life in
Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of
death. For God has done what the law, weakened by the
flesh, could not do: by sending his own Son in the
likeness of sinful flesh, and to deal with sin, he
condemned sin in the flesh, so that the just requirement
of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not
according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. For
those who live according to the flesh set their minds on
the things of the flesh, but those who live according to
the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit.
To set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the
mind on the Spirit is life and peace. For this reason the
mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God; it does
not submit to God's law indeed it cannot, and those who
are in the flesh cannot please God.
But you are not in the flesh; you are in the Spirit,
since the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does
not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him. But
if Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of
sin, the Spirit is life because of righteousness. If the
Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in
you, he who raised Christ from the dead will give life to
your mortal bodies also through his Spirit that dwells in
you.

HYMN
Words: Thomas Toke Lynch, 1855
Tune: Jesu, Jesu, du mein Hirt

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g/g343.html

Gracious Spirit, dwell with me;
I myself would gracious be;
and with words that help and heal
would thy life in mine reveal;
and with actions bold and meek
would for Christ my Savior speak.

Truthful Spirit, dwell with me;
I myself would truthful be;
and with wisdom kind and clear
let thy life in mine appear;
and with actions brotherly
speak my Lord's sincerity.

Mighty Spirit, dwell with me;
I myself would mighty be,
mighty so as to prevail
where unaided man must fail;
ever by a mighty hope
pressing on and bearing up.

Holy Spirit, dwell with me;
I myself would holy be;
separate from sin, I would
choose and cherish all things good,
and whatever I can be
give to him who gave me thee!

SECOND READING [Luke 13:1-9]:

At that very time there were some present who told Jesus about the Galileans whose
blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices. He asked them, 'Do you think that
because these Galileans suffered in this way they were worse sinners than all other
Galileans? No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all perish as they did. Or
those eighteen who were killed when the tower of Siloam fell on them do you think
that they were worse offenders than all the others living in Jerusalem? No, I tell you;
but unless you repent, you will all perish just as they did.'
Then he told this parable: 'A man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came
looking for fruit on it and found none. So he said to the gardener, "See here! For three
years I have come looking for fruit on this fig tree, and still I find none. Cut it down!
Why should it be wasting the soil?" He replied, "Sir, let it alone for one more year,
until I dig round it and put manure on it. If it bears fruit next year, well and good; but
if not, you can cut it down." '

Great and wonderful God, we praise and thank you for the
gift of renewal in Jesus Christ. Especially we thank you
for
     opportunities for rest and recreation...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     the regenerating gifts of the Holy Spirit...
     activities shared by young and old...
     fun and laughter...
     every service that proclaims your love...

You make all things new, O God, and we offer our prayers
for the renewal of the whole world and the healing of its
wounds. Especially we pray for
     those who have no leisure...
                         (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     people enslaved by addictions...
     those who entertain and enlighten...
     those confronted with temptation...
     the church in North America...

Eternal Father,
our refuge from generation to generation,
in Christ your salvation has dawned for your people:
prosper the work of our hands
that the promise of your glorious kingdom
may be fulfilled in our midst;

Grant us boldness to desire a place in your kingdom,
the courage to drink the cup of suffering,
and the grace to find in service
the glory you promise. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.