OREMUS: 25 October 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Oct 24 17:00:01 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Thursday, October 25, 2007

Blessed are you, tireless Guardian of your people,
you are always ready to hear the cry of your chosen ones;
you teach us to rely day and night on your care.
You impel us to seek your enduring justice
and your ever-present help
revealed in your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
Blessed be God for ever.>

Psalm 83:1-8, 18

O God, do not be silent;*
 do not keep still nor hold your peace, O God;
For your enemies are in tumult,*
 and those who hate you have lifted up their heads.
They take secret counsel against your people*
 and plot against those whom you protect.
They have said,
   'Come, let us wipe them out from among the nations;*
 let the name of Israel be remembered no more.'
They have conspired together;*
 they have made an alliance against you:
The tents of Edom and the Ishmaelites,*
 the Moabites and the Hagarenes;
Gebal and Ammon and Amalek,*
 the Philistines and those who dwell in Tyre.
The Assyrians also have joined them,*
 and have come to help the people of Lot.
Let them know that you, whose name is Yahweh,*
 you alone are the Most High over all the earth.

Psalm 87

On the holy mountain stands the city he has founded;*
 the Lord loves the gates of Zion
   more than all the dwellings of Jacob.
Glorious things are spoken of you,*
 O city of our God.
I count Egypt and Babylon among those who know me;*
 behold Philistia, Tyre and Ethiopia:
   in Zion were they born.
Of Zion it shall be said, 'Everyone was born in her,*
 and the Most High himself shall sustain her.'
The Lord will record as he enrols the peoples,*
 'These also were born there.'
The singers and the dancers will say,*
 'All my fresh springs are in you.'

Great and Wonderful (Revelation 15:3-4)

Great and wonderful are your deeds,
Lord God the Almighty.

Just and true are your ways,
O ruler of the nations.

Who shall not revere and praise your name, O Lord?
for you alone are holy.

All nations shall come and worship in your presence:
for your just dealings have been revealed.

for ever and ever. Amen.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Romans 6:19-23]:

I am speaking in human terms because of your natural
limitations. For just as you once presented your members
as slaves to impurity and to greater and greater
iniquity, so now present your members as slaves to
righteousness for sanctification.
When you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to
righteousness. So what advantage did you then get from
the things of which you now are ashamed? The end of those
things is death. But now that you have been freed from
sin and enslaved to God, the advantage you get is
sanctification. The end is eternal life. For the wages of
sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in
Christ Jesus our Lord.

HYMN
Words: Latin, eleventh century; trans. John Ellerton, 1871
Tune: Song 13

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g/g040.html

Giver of the perfect gift,
only hope of human race,
hear the prayer our hearts uplift
trembling at thy throne of grace.

Though the accusing voice within
speaks of many a wrong to thee,
thou canst cleanse from every sin,
thou canst set the conscience free.

Who can save us, Lord, but thou?
Let thy mercy show thy power;
lo, we plead thy promise now,
now, in this accepted hour.

God the Holy Trinity,
grant the mercy we implore;
God the One, all praise to thee
through the ages evermore.

SECOND READING [Luke 12:49-53]:

'I came to bring fire to the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled! I have a
baptism with which to be baptized, and what stress I am under until it is completed!
Do you think that I have come to bring peace to the earth? No, I tell you, but rather
division! From now on, five in one household will be divided, three against two and
two against three; they will be divided:
father against son
   and son against father,
mother against daughter
   and daughter against mother,
mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law
   and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.'

Loving God, as the rising sun chases away the night, so
you have scattered the power of death in the rising of
Jesus Christ, and you bring us all blessings in him.
Especially we thank you for
     the community of faith in our church...
                (We thank you, Lord.)
     those with whom we work or share common concerns...
     the diversity of your children...
     indications of your love at work in the world...
     those who work for reconciliation...

Mighty God, with the dawn of your love you reveal your
victory over all that would destroy or harm, and you
brighten the lives of all who need you. Especially we pray
for
     families suffering separation...
                (Lord, hear our prayer)
     people different from ourselves...
     those isolated by sickness or sorrow...
     the victims of violence or warfare...
     the church in the Pacific region...

Lord,
dispel from us the error of pride
and the illusions of greatness,
and help us to abandon every vice
and stand in awe of you,
for you alone are the Most High
over all the world now and for ever. Amen.

Grant us boldness to desire a place in your kingdom,
the courage to drink the cup of suffering,
and the grace to find in service
the glory you promise. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.