OREMUS: 24 October 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Oct 23 21:14:02 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Blessed are you, tireless Guardian of your people,
you are always ready to hear the cry of your chosen ones;
you teach us to rely day and night on your care.
You impel us to seek your enduring justice
and your ever-present help
revealed in your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
Blessed be God for ever.>

Sing with joy to God our strength*
 and raise a loud shout to the God of Jacob.
Raise a song and sound the timbrel,*
 the merry harp and the lyre.
Blow the ram's-horn at the new moon,*
 and at the full moon, the day of our feast.
For this is a statute for Israel,*
 a law of the God of Jacob.
He laid it as a solemn charge upon Joseph,*
 when he came out of the land of Egypt.
I heard an unfamiliar voice saying,*
 'I eased his shoulder from the burden;
   his hands were set free from bearing the load.'
You called on me in trouble and I saved you;*
 I answered you from the secret place of thunder
   and tested you at the waters of Meribah.
Hear, O my people, and I will admonish you:*
 O Israel, if you would but listen to me!
There shall be no strange god among you;*
 you shall not worship a foreign god.
I am the Lord your God,
   who brought you out of the land of Egypt and said,*
 'Open your mouth wide and I will fill it.'
And yet my people did not hear my voice,*
 and Israel would not obey me.
So I gave them over to the stubbornness
   of their hearts,*
 to follow their own devices.
O that my people would listen to me!*
 that Israel would walk in my ways!
I should soon subdue their enemies*
 and turn my hand against their foes.
Those who hate the Lord would cringe before him,*
 and their punishment would last for ever.
But Israel would I feed with the finest wheat*
 and satisfy him with honey from the rock.

Psalm 82

God takes his stand in the council of heaven;*
 he gives judgement in the midst of the gods:
'How long will you judge unjustly,*
 and show favour to the wicked?
'Save the weak and the orphan;*
 defend the humble and needy;
'Rescue the weak and the poor;*
 deliver them from the power of the wicked.
'They do not know, neither do they understand;
   they go about in darkness;*
 all the foundations of the earth are shaken.
'Now I say to you, "You are gods,*
 and all of you children of the Most High;
'"Nevertheless, you shall die like mortals,*
 and fall like any prince."'
Arise, O God, and rule the earth,*
 for you shall take all nations for your own.

A Song of the Word of the Lord (Isaiah 55:6-11)

Seek the Lord while he may be found,
call upon him while he is near;

Let the wicked abandon their ways,
and the unrighteous their thoughts;

Return to the Lord,
who will have mercy;
to our God, who will richly pardon.

'For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways', says the Lord.

'For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

'As the rain and the snow come down from above,
and return not again but water the earth,

'Bringing forth life and giving growth,
seed for sowing and bread to eat,

'So is my word that goes forth from my mouth;
it will not return to me fruitless,

'But it will accomplish that which I purpose,
and succeed in the task I gave it.'

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Romans 6:12-18]:

Therefore, do not let sin exercise dominion in your
mortal bodies, to make you obey their passions. No longer
present your members to sin as instruments of wickedness,
but present yourselves to God as those who have been
brought from death to life, and present your members to
God as instruments of righteousness. For sin will have no
dominion over you, since you are not under law but under
grace.
What then? Should we sin because we are not under law but
under grace? By no means! Do you not know that if you
present yourselves to anyone as obedient slaves, you are
slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin, which
leads to death, or of obedience, which leads to
righteousness? But thanks be to God that you, having once
been slaves of sin, have become obedient from the heart
to the form of teaching to which you were entrusted, and
that you, having been set free from sin, have become
slaves of righteousness.

HYMN
Words: Isaac Watts, 1709
Tune: Wareham

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/m/m113.html

My God, how endless is thy love;
thy gifts are every evening new;
and morning mercies from above
gently distill, like early dew.

Thou spread'st the curtains of the night,
great Guardian of my sleeping hours:
thy sovereign word restores the light,
and quickens all my slumbering powers.

I yield my powers to thy command,
to thee I consecrate my days:
perpetual blessings from thine hand
demand perpetual songs of praise.

SECOND READING [Luke 12:39-48]:

Jesus said, 'But know this: if the owner of the house had known at what hour the thief
was coming, he would not have let his house be broken into. You also must be ready,
for the Son of Man is coming at an unexpected hour.'
Peter said, 'Lord, are you telling this parable for us or for everyone?' And the Lord
said, 'Who then is the faithful and prudent manager whom his master will put in charge
of his slaves, to give them their allowance of food at the proper time? Blessed is that
slave whom his master will find at work when he arrives. Truly I tell you, he will put
that one in charge of all his possessions. But if that slave says to himself, "My master
is delayed in coming", and if he begins to beat the other slaves, men and women, and
to eat and drink and get drunk, the master of that slave will come on a day when he
does not expect him and at an hour that he does not know, and will cut him in pieces,
and put him with the unfaithful. That slave who knew what his master wanted, but did
not prepare himself or do what was wanted, will receive a severe beating. But one who
did not know and did what deserved a beating will receive a light beating. From
everyone to whom much has been given, much will be required; and from one to
whom much has been entrusted, even more will be demanded.

God of all mercies, we praise you that you have brought
us to this day, brightening our lives with the dawn
of promise and hope in Jesus Christ. Especially we thank
you for
     the warmth of sunlight, the wetness of rain and
     snow, and all that nourishes the earth...
                           (We thank you, Lord.)
     the presence and power of your Spirit...
     the support and encouragement we receive from others...
     those who provide for public safety and well-being...
     the mission of the church around the world...

Merciful God, strengthen us in prayer that we may lift up
the brokenness of this world for your healing, and share
the saving love of Jesus Christ. Especially we pray for
     those in positions of authority over others...
                           (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     the lonely and forgotten...
     children without family or homes...
     agents of caring and relief...
     the church in Asia and the Middle East...

Strength of the weak,
Defender of the needy,
Rescuer of the poor,
deliver us from the power of wickedness,
that we may rejoice in your justice now and for ever,

Grant us boldness to desire a place in your kingdom,
the courage to drink the cup of suffering,
and the grace to find in service
the glory you promise. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.