OREMUS: 16 October 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Oct 15 20:41:38 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Tuesday, October 16, 2007
Nicholas Ridley, Bishop of London,
and Hugh Latimer, Bishop of Worcester, Martyrs, 1555

Blessed are you, tireless Guardian of your people,
you are always ready to hear the cry of your chosen ones;
you teach us to rely day and night on your care.
You impel us to seek your enduring justice
and your ever-present help
revealed in your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Be pleased, O God, to deliver me;*
 O Lord, make haste to help me.
Let those who seek my life
   be ashamed and altogether dismayed;*
 let those who take pleasure in my misfortune
   draw back and be disgraced.
Let those who say to me 'Aha!'
   and gloat over me turn back,*
 because they are ashamed.
Let all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you;*
 let those who love your salvation say for ever,
   'Great is the Lord!'
But as for me, I am poor and needy;*
 come to me speedily, O God.
You are my helper and my deliverer;*
 O Lord, do not tarry.

Psalm 77

I will cry aloud to God;*
 I will cry aloud and he will hear me.
In the day of my trouble I sought the Lord;*
 my hands were stretched out by night and did not tire;
   I refused to be comforted.
I think of God, I am restless,*
 I ponder and my spirit faints.
You will not let my eyelids close;*
 I am troubled and I cannot speak.
I consider the days of old;*
 I remember the years long past;
I commune with my heart in the night;*
 I ponder and search my mind.
Will the Lord cast me off for ever?*
 will he no more show his favour?
Has his loving-kindness come to an end for ever?*
 has his promise failed for evermore?
Has God forgotten to be gracious?*
 has he, in his anger, withheld his compassion?
And I said, 'My grief is this:*
 the right hand of the Most High has lost its power.'
I will remember the works of the Lord,*
 and call to mind your wonders of old time.
I will meditate on all your acts*
 and ponder your mighty deeds.
Your way, O God, is holy;*
 who is so great a god as our God?
You are the God who works wonders*
 and have declared your power among the peoples.
By your strength you have redeemed your people,*
 the children of Jacob and Joseph.
The waters saw you, O God;
   the waters saw you and trembled;*
 the very depths were shaken.
The clouds poured out water; the skies thundered;*
 your arrows flashed to and fro;
The sound of your thunder was in the whirlwind;
   your lightnings lit up the world;*
 the earth trembled and shook.
Your way was in the sea,
   and your paths in the great waters,*
 yet your footsteps were not seen.
You led your people like a flock*
 by the hand of Moses and Aaron.

A Song of Peace (Isaiah 2:3-5)

Come, let us go up to the mountain of God,
to the house of the God of Jacob;

That God may teach us his ways,
and that we may walk in his paths.

For the law shall go out from Zion,
and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.

God shall judged between the nations,
and shall mediate for many peoples.

They shall beat their swords into ploughshares,
and their spears into pruning hooks.

Nation shall not lift up sword against nation,
neither shall they learn war any more.

O people of Jacob, come:
let us walk in the light of the Lord.

FIRST READING [Romans 1:16-25]:

I am not ashamed of the gospel; it is the power of God
for salvation to everyone who has faith, to the Jew first
and also to the Greek. For in it the righteousness of God
is revealed through faith for faith; as it is written,
'The one who is righteous will live by faith.'
For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all
ungodliness and wickedness of those who by their
wickedness suppress the truth. For what can be known
about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to
them. Ever since the creation of the world his eternal
power and divine nature, invisible though they are, have
been understood and seen through the things he has made.
So they are without excuse; for though they knew God,
they did not honour him as God or give thanks to him, but
they became futile in their thinking, and their senseless
minds were darkened. Claiming to be wise, they became
fools; and they exchanged the glory of the immortal God
for images resembling a mortal human being or birds or
four-footed animals or reptiles.
Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts
to impurity, to the degrading of their bodies among
themselves, because they exchanged the truth about God
for a lie and worshipped and served the creature rather
than the Creator, who is blessed for ever! Amen.

HYMN
Words: Isaac Watts, 1714
Tune: Monmouth

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/i/i209.html

I'll praise my Maker while I've breath,
and when my voice is lost in death,
praise shall employ my nobler powers;
my days of praise shall ne'er be past,
while life, and thought, and being last,
or immortality endures.

Why should I make a man my trust?
Princes must die and turn to dust;
vain is the help of flesh and blood:
their breath departs, their pomp, and power,
and thoughts, all vanish in an hour,
nor can they make their promise good.

Happy the man whose hopes rely
on Israel's God: he made the sky,
and earth, and seas, with all their train;
his truth for ever stands secure,
he saves th'oppressed, he feeds the poor,
and none shall find his promise vain.

The Lord has eyes to give the blind;
the Lord supports the sinking mind;
he sends the laboring conscience peace;
he helps the stranger in distress,
the widow, and the fatherless,
and grants the prisoner sweet release.

He loves his saints, he knows them well,
but turns the wicked down to hell;
thy God, O Zion! ever reigns:
Let every tongue, let every age,
in this exalted work engage;
praise him in everlasting strains.

I'll praise him while he lends me breath,
and when my voice is lost in death,
praise shall employ my nobler powers;
my days of praise shall ne'er be past,
while life, and thought, and being last,
or immortality endures.

SECOND READING [Luke 11:37-41]:

While Jesus was speaking, a Pharisee invited him to dine with him; so he went in and
took his place at the table. The Pharisee was amazed to see that he did not first wash
before dinner. Then the Lord said to him, 'Now you Pharisees clean the outside of the
cup and of the dish, but inside you are full of greed and wickedness. You fools! Did
not the one who made the outside make the inside also? So give for alms those things
that are within; and see, everything will be clean for you.

Generous God, we thank you for being with us today, and
for every sign of your truth and love in Jesus Christ.
Especially we thank you for
     the gift of peace in Christ...
                   (We thank you, Lord.)
     reconciliation in our relationships...
     each new insight into your love...
     energy and courage to share your love...
     the ministries of the church...

Gracious God, we remember in our own hearts the needs of
others, that we may reach up to claim your love for them,
and reach out to give your love in the name of Christ.
Especially we pray for
     racial harmony and justice...
                   (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     those imprisoned...
     strangers we have met today...
     friends who are bereaved...
     Orthodox and Coptic churches...

Deliver us, Lord, from every evil,
and grant us peace in our day.
In your mercy keep us free from sin
and protect us from all anxiety,
as we wait in joyful hope
for the coming of your Son,
Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Keep us, O Lord,
constant in faith and zealous in witness,
after the examples of your servants Hugh Latimer and Nicholas Ridley;
that we may live in your fear, die in your favor, and rest in your peace;
for the sake of Jesus Christ your Son our Lord,

Grant us boldness to desire a place in your kingdom,
the courage to drink the cup of suffering,
and the grace to find in service
the glory you promise. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

When Henry VIII of England died, he left three heirs: his son Edward and his
two daughters, Mary and Elizabeth. Edward succeeded to the throne and was a
staunch Protestant (or at least his advisors were). Under his rule, the church
services, previously in Latin, were translated into English, and other changes
were made.
When Edward died, the throne passed to his sister Mary, who was firmly
Roman Catholic in her beliefs. She determined to return England to union with
the Pope. With more diplomacy, she might have succeeded. But she was
headstrong and would take no advice. Her mother had been Spanish, and she
determined to marry the heir to the throne of Spain, not realizing how much
her people (of all religious persuasions) feared that this would make England a
province of the Spanish Empire.
Mary insisted that the best way to deal with heresy was to burn as many
heretics as possible. (It is worth noting that her husband was opposed to this.)
In the course of a five-year reign, she lost all the English holdings on the
continent of Europe, she lost the affection of her people, and she lost any
chance of a peaceful religious settlement in England. Of the nearly three
hundred persons burned by her orders, the most famous are the Oxford
Martyrs, commemorated today.
Hugh Latimer was famous as a preacher. He was Bishop of Worcester in the
time of King Henry, but resigned in protest against the King's refusal to allow
the Protestant reforms that Latimer desired. Latimer's sermons speak little of
doctrine; he preferred to urge men to upright living and devoutness in prayer.
But when Mary came to the throne, he was arrested, tried for heresy, and
burned together with his friend Nicholas Ridley. His last words at the stake are
well known: "Be of good cheer, Master Ridley, and play the man, for we shall
this day light such a candle in England as I trust by God's grace shall never be
put out."
Nicholas Ridley became an adherent of the Protestant cause while a student at
Cambridge. He was a friend of Archbishop Cranmer and became private
chaplain first to Cranmer and then to King Henry. Under the reign of Edward,
he became bishop of Rochester, and was part of the committee that drew up
the first English Book of Common Prayer. When Mary came to the throne, he
was arrested, tried, and burned with Latimer at Oxford on 16 October 1555.
[James Kiefer]