OREMUS: 15 October 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Oct 14 21:48:05 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Monday, October 15, 2007
Samuel Isaac Joseph Schereschewsky, Bishop of Shanghai, 1906

Blessed are you, tireless Guardian of your people,
you are always ready to hear the cry of your chosen ones;
you teach us to rely day and night on your care.
You impel us to seek your enduring justice
and your ever-present help
revealed in your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

We give you thanks, O God, we give you thanks,*
 calling upon your name
   and declaring all your wonderful deeds.
'I will appoint a time,' says God;*
 'I will judge with equity.
'Though the earth and all its inhabitants are quaking,*
 I will make its pillars fast.
'I will say to the boasters, "Boast no more",*
 and to the wicked, "Do not toss your horns;
'"Do not toss your horns so high,*
 nor speak with a proud neck."'
For judgement is neither from the east
   nor from the west,*
 nor yet from the wilderness or the mountains.
It is God who judges;*
 he puts down one and lifts up another.
For in the Lord's hand there is a cup,
   full of spiced and foaming wine, which he pours out,*
 and all the wicked of the earth
   shall drink and drain the dregs.
But I will rejoice for ever;*
 I will sing praises to the God of Jacob.
He shall break off all the horns of the wicked;*
 but the horns of the righteous shall be exalted.

Psalm 76

In Judah is God known;*
 his name is great in Israel.
At Salem is his tabernacle,*
 and his dwelling is in Zion.
There he broke the flashing arrows,*
 the shield, the sword and the weapons of battle.
How glorious you are!*
 more splendid than the everlasting mountains!
The strong of heart have been despoiled;
   they sink into sleep;*
 none of the warriors can lift a hand.
At your rebuke, O God of Jacob,*
 both horse and rider lie stunned.
What terror you inspire!*
 who can stand before you when you are angry?
>From heaven you pronounced judgement;*
 the earth was afraid and was still;
When God rose up to judgement*
 and to save all the oppressed of the earth.
Truly, wrathful Edom will give you thanks,*
 and the remnant of Hamath will keep your feasts.
Make a vow to the Lord your God and keep it;*
 let all around him bring gifts
   to him who is worthy to be feared.
He breaks the spirit of princes,*
 and strikes terror in the kings of the earth.

A Song of God's Grace (Ephesians 1:3-10)

Blessed are you,
the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
for you have blest us in Christ Jesus
with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places.

You chose us to be yours in Christ
before the foundation of the world,
that we should be holy and blameless before you.

In love you destined us for adoption as your children,
through Jesus Christ,
according to the purpose of your will,

To the praise of your glorious grace,
which you freely bestowed on us in the Beloved.

In you, we have redemption
through the blood of Christ,
the forgiveness of our sins,

According to the riches of your grace,
which you have lavished upon us.

You have made known to us, in all wisdom and insight,
the mystery of your will,

According to your purpose
which you set forth in Christ,
as a plan for the fullness of time,

To unite all things in Christ,
things in heaven and things on earth.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Romans 1:1-7]:

Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle,
set apart for the gospel of God, which he promised
beforehand through his prophets in the holy scriptures,
the gospel concerning his Son, who was descended from
David according to the flesh and was declared to be Son
of God with power according to the spirit of holiness by
resurrection from the dead, Jesus Christ our Lord,
through whom we have received grace and apostleship to
bring about the obedience of faith among all the Gentiles
for the sake of his name, including yourselves who are
called to belong to Jesus Christ, To all God's beloved in
Rome, who are called to be saints: Grace to you and peace
from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

HYMN
Words: Thomas Kelly (1769-1855), 1809
Tune: Unser Herrscher

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l225.html

Look, ye saints! the sight is glorious:
see the Man of Sorrows now;
from the fight returned victorious,
every knee to him shall bow;
crown him, crown him,
crown him, crown him,
crowns become the Victor's brow.

Crown the Savior! angels, crown him;
rich the trophies Jesus brings;
in the seat of power enthrone him,
while the vault of heaven rings;
crown him, crown him,
crown him, crown him,
crown the Savior King of kings.

Sinners in derision scorned him,
mocking thus the Savior's claim;
saints and angels crowd around him,
own his title, praise his name;
crown him, crown him,
crown him, crown him,
spread abroad the Victor's fame.

Hark, those bursts of acclamation!
hark, those loud triumphant chords!
Jesus takes the highest station;
O what joy the sight affords!
crown him, crown him,
crown him, crown him,
King of kings and Lord of lords!

SECOND READING [Luke 11:29-32]:

When the crowds were increasing, Jesus began to say, 'This generation is an evil
generation; it asks for a sign, but no sign will be given to it except the sign of Jonah.
For just as Jonah became a sign to the people of Nineveh, so the Son of Man will be to
this generation. The queen of the South will rise at the judgement with the people of
this generation and condemn them, because she came from the ends of the earth to
listen to the wisdom of Solomon, and see, something greater than Solomon is here!
The people of Nineveh will rise up at the judgement with this generation and condemn
it, because they repented at the proclamation of Jonah, and see, something greater than
Jonah is here!'

We rejoice in your generous goodness, O God, and
celebrate your lavish gifts to us this day, for you have
shown your love in giving Jesus Christ for the salvation
of the world. Especially we give thanks for
     the labors of those who have served us today...
                             (We thank you, Lord)
     friends with whom we have shared...
     those whom we love and have loved us...
     opportunities for our work to help others...
     all beauty that delights us...

Gracious God, we know you are close to all in need, and
by our prayers for others we come closer to you. We are
bold to claim for others your promises of new life in
Jesus Christ, as we claim them for ourselves. Especially
we pray for
     those in dangerous occupations...
                              (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     physicians and nurses...
     those who are ill or confined to nursing homes...
     for those whom we love and for those who love us...
     those who mourn...
     the Roman Catholic Church...

Judge eternal,
love is the government of your holy city
and the indictment of the proud.
We give thanks for the great salvation
you have revealed in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

O God,
your Word is revealed to us in Jesus Christ,
your Son, the Truth Incarnate and the Teacher of the faithful:
Lead us, we pray, to commit our lives and talents to you,
in the confidence that when you give your servants any work to do,
you also supply the strength to do it,
as you did for your servant Joseph Schereschewsky,
who worked to bring your word to China;

Grant us boldness to desire a place in your kingdom,
the courage to drink the cup of suffering,
and the grace to find in service
the glory you promise. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is adapted from a prayer in _The Book of Common
Worship. The Presbyterian Church in Canada_, 1991. Used with
permission.

The second collect is by Stephen Benner.

Samuel Isaac Joseph Schereschewsky was born in Lithuania in 1831, went to
Germany to study for the rabbinate, there became a Christian, emigrated to
America, trained for the priesthood, and in 1859 was sent by the Episcopal
Church to China, where he devoted himself from 1862 to 1875 to translating
the Bible into Mandarin Chinese. In 1877 he was elected Bishop of Shanghai,
where he founded St. John's University, and began his translation of the Bible
into Wenli (another Chinese dialect). He developed Parkinson's disease, was
largely paralyzed, resigned his position as Bishop of Shanghai, and spent the
rest of his life completing his Wenli Bible, the last 2000 pages of which he
typed with the one finger that he could still move.
Four years before his death in 1906, he said: "I have sat in this chair for over
twenty years. It seemed very hard at first. But God knew best. He kept me for
the work for which I am best fitted."