OREMUS: 14 October 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Oct 13 17:25:37 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Sunday, October 14, 2007
The Twentieth Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, tireless Guardian of your people,
you are always ready to hear the cry of your chosen ones;
you teach us to rely day and night on your care.
You impel us to seek your enduring justice
and your ever-present help
revealed in your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;*
 his mercy endures for ever.
Let Israel now proclaim,*
 'His mercy endures for ever.'
Let the house of Aaron now proclaim,*
 'His mercy endures for ever.'
Let those who fear the Lord now proclaim,*
 'His mercy endures for ever.'
I called to the Lord in my distress;*
 the Lord answered by setting me free.
The Lord is at my side, therefore I will not fear;*
 what can anyone do to me?
The Lord is at my side to help me;*
 I will triumph over those who hate me.
It is better to rely on the Lord*
 than to put any trust in flesh.
It is better to rely on the Lord*
 than to put any trust in rulers.
All the ungodly encompass me;*
 in the name of the Lord I will repel them.
They hem me in, they hem me in on every side;*
 in the name of the Lord I will repel them.
They swarm about me like bees;
   they blaze like a fire of thorns;*
 in the name of the Lord I will repel them.
I was pressed so hard that I almost fell,*
 but the Lord came to my help.
The Lord is my strength and my song,*
 and he has become my salvation.
There is a sound of exultation and victory*
 in the tents of the righteous:
'The right hand of the Lord has triumphed!*
 the right hand of the Lord is exalted!
   the right hand of the Lord has triumphed!'
I shall not die, but live,*
 and declare the works of the Lord.
The Lord has punished me sorely,*
 but he did not hand me over to death.
Open for me the gates of righteousness;*
 I will enter them; I will offer thanks to the Lord.
'This is the gate of the Lord;*
 whoever is righteous may enter.'
I will give thanks to you, for you answered me*
 and have become my salvation.
The same stone which the builders rejected*
 has become the chief corner-stone.
This is the Lord's doing,*
 and it is marvellous in our eyes.
On this day the Lord has acted;*
 we will rejoice and be glad in it.
Hosanna, Lord, hosanna!*
 Lord, send us now success.
Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord;*
 we bless you from the house of the Lord.
God is the Lord; he has shined upon us;*
 form a procession with branches
   up to the horns of the altar.
'You are my God and I will thank you;*
 you are my God and I will exalt you.'
Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;*
 his mercy endures for ever.

A Song of David (1 Chronicles 29:10b-13,14b)

Blessed are you, God of Israel, for ever and ever,
for yours is the greatness, the power,
the glory, the splendour and the majesty.

Everything in heaven and on earth is yours;
yours is the kingdom, O Lord
and you are exalted as head over all.

Riches and honour come from you
and you rule over all.

In your hand are power and might;
yours it is to give power and strength to all.

And now we give you thanks, our God,
and praise your glorious name.

For all things come from you,
and of your own have we given you.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Nehemiah 6:1-16]:

Now when it was reported to Sanballat and Tobiah and to
Geshem the Arab and to the rest of our enemies that I had
built the wall and that there was no gap left in it
(though up to that time I had not set up the doors in the
gates), Sanballat and Geshem sent to me, saying, 'Come
and let us meet together in one of the villages in the
plain of Ono.' But they intended to do me harm. So I sent
messengers to them, saying, 'I am doing a great work and
I cannot come down. Why should the work stop while I
leave it to come down to you?' They sent to me four times
in this way, and I answered them in the same manner. In
the same way Sanballat for the fifth time sent his
servant to me with an open letter in his hand. In it was
written, 'It is reported among the nations and Geshem
also says it that you and the Jews intend to rebel; that
is why you are building the wall; and according to this
report you wish to become their king. You have also set
up prophets to proclaim in Jerusalem concerning you,
"There is a king in Judah!" And now it will be reported
to the king according to these words. So come, therefore,
and let us confer together.' Then I sent to him, saying,
'No such things as you say have been done; you are
inventing them out of your own mind'  for they all wanted
to frighten us, thinking, 'Their hands will drop from the
work, and it will not be done.' But now, O God,
strengthen my hands.
One day when I went into the house of Shemaiah son of
Delaiah son of Mehetabel, who was confined to his house,
he said, 'Let us meet together in the house of God,
within the temple, and let us close the doors of the
temple, for they are coming to kill you; indeed, tonight
they are coming to kill you.' But I said, 'Should a man
like me run away? Would a man like me go into the temple
to save his life? I will not go in!' Then I perceived and
saw that God had not sent him at all, but he had
pronounced the prophecy against me because Tobiah and
Sanballat had hired him. He was hired for this purpose,
to intimidate me and make me sin by acting in this way,
and so they could give me a bad name, in order to taunt
me. Remember Tobiah and Sanballat, O my God, according to
these things that they did, and also the prophetess
Noadiah and the rest of the prophets who wanted to make
me afraid.
So the wall was finished on the twenty-fifth day of the
month Elul, in fifty-two days. And when all our enemies
heard of it, all the nations around us were afraid and
fell greatly in their own esteem; for they perceived that
this work had been accomplished with the help of our God.

HYMN
Words: Richard Mant, 1824
Tune: Stuttgart
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g/g193.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g
/g193.html

God, my King, thy might confessing,
ever will I bless thy Name;
day by day thy throne addressing,
still will I thy praise proclaim.

Honor great our God befitteth;
who his majesty can reach?
Age to age his works transmitteth,
age to age his power shall teach.

They shall talk of all thy glory,
on thy might and greatness dwell,
speak of thy dread acts the story,
and thy deeds of wonder tell.

Nor shall fail from memory's treasure
works by love and mercy wrought,
works of love surpassing measure,
works of mercy passing thought.

Full of kindness and compassion,
slow to anger, vast in love,
God is good to all creation;
all his works his goodness prove.

All thy works, O Lord, shall bless thee:
thee shall thy saints adore:
King supreme shall they confess thee,
and proclaim thy sovereign power.

SECOND READING [John 15:12-27]:

Jesus said, 'This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.
No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friends. You are my
friends if you do what I command you. I do not call you servants any longer, because
the servant does not know what the master is doing; but I have called you friends,
because I have made known to you everything that I have heard from my Father. You
did not choose me but I chose you. And I appointed you to go and bear fruit, fruit that
will last, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask him in my name. I am
giving you these commands so that you may love one another.
'If the world hates you, be aware that it hated me before it hated you. If you belonged
to the world, the world would love you as its own. Because you do not belong to the
world, but I have chosen you out of the world therefore the world hates you.
Remember the word that I said to you, "Servants are not greater than their master." If
they persecuted me, they will persecute you; if they kept my word, they will keep
yours also. But they will do all these things to you on account of my name, because
they do not know him who sent me. If I had not come and spoken to them, they would
not have sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin. Whoever hates me hates my
Father also. If I had not done among them the works that no one else did, they would
not have sin. But now they have seen and hated both me and my Father. It was to fulfil
the word that is written in their law, "They hated me without a cause."'

Great Friend of the poor, the neglected, the abused, and the distressed,
we pray for any who are now feeling forsaken

In your mercy, help us not to forget the needs of -

  the migrant, the child, the elderly....

  the deserted wife, or husband or children...

  the teenage loner or the spurned parent...

  the new arrival in a strange city or country...

  the shy person alone in a small flat...

  the political prisoner without recourse to justice...

  the hospital patient without any visitors...

  the dying soul with no one to sit with them...

  the grief stricken with no one to comfort them.

Merciful God,
send your angels of mercy to all in need.
Grant them quietness and peace,
through Jesus Christ our Redeemer,
who, hanging on the cross, knew our sufferings. Amen.

Almighty God,
your Son has opened for us
a new and living way into your presence:
Give us pure hearts and steadfast wills
to worship you in spirit and in truth;
through the same Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Grant us boldness to desire a place in your kingdom,
the courage to drink the cup of suffering,
and the grace to find in service
the glory you promise. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is adapted from a prayer by Bruce Prewer.

The collect is from _A Prayer Book for Australia_. (c) 1995,
The Anglican Church of Australia Trust Corporation.