OREMUS: 11 October 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Oct 10 20:26:39 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Thursday, October 11, 2007
Elizabeth Fry, Prison  Reformer, 1845
Edith Cavell, Nurse, 1915

our life, our health, our salvation.
You look with mercy on your people;
you stip up in us a saving faith,
that believing, we may be healed,
and being healed, we may worthily give you thanks.

Hear my voice, O God, when I complain;*
 protect my life from fear of the enemy.
Hide me from the conspiracy of the wicked,*
 from the mob of evildoers.
They sharpen their tongue like a sword,*
 and aim their bitter words like arrows,
That they may shoot down the blameless from ambush;*
 they shoot without warning and are not afraid.
They hold fast to their evil course;*
 they plan how they may hide their snares.
They say, 'Who will see us?
   who will find out our crimes?*
 we have thought out a perfect plot.'
The human mind and heart are a mystery;*
 but God will loose an arrow at them,
   and suddenly they will be wounded.
He will make them trip over their tongues,*
 and all who see them will shake their heads.
Everyone will stand in awe and declare God's deeds;*
 they will recognise his works.
The righteous will rejoice in the Lord
   and put their trust in him,*
 and all who are true of heart will glory.

Psalm 65

You are to be praised, O God, in Zion;*
 to you shall vows be performed in Jerusalem.
To you that hear prayer shall all flesh come,*
 because of their transgressions.
Our sins are stronger than we are,*
 but you will blot them out.
Happy are they whom you choose
   and draw to your courts to dwell there!*
 they will be satisfied by the beauty of your house,
   by the holiness of your temple.
Awesome things will you show us in your righteousness,
   O God of our salvation,*
 O Hope of all the ends of the earth
   and of the seas that are far away.
You make fast the mountains by your power;*
 they are girded about with might.
You still the roaring of the seas,*
 the roaring of their waves,
   and the clamour of the peoples.
Those who dwell at the ends of the earth
   will tremble at your marvellous signs;*
 you make the dawn and the dusk to sing for joy.
You visit the earth and water it abundantly;
   you make it very plenteous;*
 the river of God is full of water.
You prepare the grain,*
 for so you provide for the earth.
You drench the furrows and smooth out the ridges;*
 with heavy rain you soften the ground
   and bless its increase.
You crown the year with your goodness,*
 and your paths overflow with plenty.
May the fields of the wilderness be rich for grazing,*
 and the hills be clothed with joy.
May the meadows cover themselves with flocks
   and the valleys cloak themselves with grain;*
 let them shout for joy and sing.

A Song of the New Jerusalem (Isaiah 60.1-3,11a,18,19,14b

Arise, shine out, for your light has come,
the glory of the Lord is rising upon you.

Though night still covers the earth,
and darkness the peoples;

Above you the Holy One arises,
and above you God's glory appears.

The nations will come to your light,
and kings to your dawning brightness.

Your gates will lie open continually,
shut neither by day nor by night.

The sound of violence shall be heard no longer in your land,
or ruin and devastation within your borders.

You will call your walls, Salvation,
and your gates, Praise.

No more will the sun give you daylight,
nor moonlight shine upon you;

But the Lord will be your everlasting light,
your God will be your splendour.

For you shall be called the city of God,
the dwelling of the Holy One of Israel.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Malachi 3:13-4:2a]:

You have spoken harsh words against me, says the Lord.
Yet you say, 'How have we spoken against you?' You have
said, 'It is vain to serve God. What do we profit by
keeping his command or by going about as mourners before
the Lord of hosts? Now we count the arrogant happy;
evildoers not only prosper, but when they put God to the
test they escape.'
Then those who revered the Lord spoke with one another.
the Lord took note and listened, and a book of
remembrance was written before him of those who revered
the Lord and thought on his name. They shall be mine,
says the Lord of hosts, my special possession on the day
when I act, and I will spare them as parents spare their
children who serve them. Then once more you shall see the
difference between the righteous and the wicked, between
one who serves God and one who does not serve him.
See, the day is coming, burning like an oven, when all
the arrogant and all evildoers will be stubble; the day
that comes shall burn them up, says the Lord of hosts, so
that it will leave them neither root nor branch. But for
you who revere my name the sun of righteousness shall
rise, with healing in its wings. You shall go out leaping
like calves from the stall.

HYMN
Words: Phillip Doddridge
Tune: Manchester

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/y/y010.html

Ye humble souls that seek the Lord,
chase all your fears away;
and bow with rapture down to see
the place where Jesus lay.

Thus low the Lord of life was brought,
such wonders love can do;
thus cold in death that bosom lay,
which throbbed and bled for you.

But raise your eyes and tune your songs;
the Saviour lives again:
not all the bolts and bars of death
the conqueror could detain.

High o'er the angelic bands he rears
his once dishonoured head;
and through unnumbered years he reigns,
who dwelt among the dead.

With joy like his shall every saint
his vacant tomb survey;
yhen rise with his ascending Lord
to realms of endless day.

SECOND READING [Luke 11:5-13]:

Jesus said, 'Suppose one of you has a friend, and you go to him at midnight and say to
him, "Friend, lend me three loaves of bread; for a friend of mine has arrived, and I
have nothing to set before him." And he answers from within, "Do not bother me; the
door has already been locked, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot get up and
give you anything." I tell you, even though he will not get up and give him anything
because he is his friend, at least because of his persistence he will get up and give him
whatever he needs.
'So I say to you, Ask, and it will be given to you; search, and you will find; knock, and
the door will be opened for you. For everyone who asks receives, and everyone who
searches finds, and for everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. Is there anyone
among you who, if your child asks for a fish, will give a snake instead of a fish? Or if
the child asks for an egg, will give a scorpion? If you then, who are evil, know how to
give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the
Holy Spirit to those who ask him!'

In your glory, Lord, protect us by the power of your name,
that we may be one as you are one.

We are in the world but not of it.
Protect us from the evil one.

Give us your word and the full measure of your joy.
Sanctify us by your truth.

May your Spirit unite us in the love and glory of Father and Son.
May we be one that the world may believe.

As you sent your Son into the world
so send us, to make your glory known.

Lord God,
joy marks your presence:
beauty, abundance and peace
are the tokens of your work in all creation.
Work also in our lives,
that by these signs we may see the splendor of your love
and praise you through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Father,
from whom every family in heaven and on earth takes its name,
your servants Elizabeth Fry and Edith Cavell
revealed your goodness in a life of service:
grant that we who have gathered in faith around this table
may like them know the love of Christ
that surpasses knowledge
and be filled with all your fullness;

Give us your saving grace until that day when you welcome us
to the heavenly banquet beyond compare. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.
The second collect is slightly adapted from _Common Worship: Services and
Prayers for the
Church of England_, material from which is included in this service is copyright
(c) The
Archbishops' Council, 2000.
Elizabeth Gurney was born at Earlham in Norfolk in 1780. At the age of twenty, she
married
Joseph Fry, a London merchant and a strict Quaker. She was admitted as a minister in the
Society
of Friends and became a noted preacher. The appalling state of the prisons came to her
notice and
she devoted much of her time to the welfare of female prisoners in Newgate. In 1820 she
took
part in the formation of a nightly shelter for the homeless in London. She travelled all over
Europe
in the cause of prison reform. She was a woman of a strong Christian and evangelistic
impulse and
this inspired all her work. She died on this day in 1845.
Edith Cavell was born into a clergy family at Swardeston in 1865. After life as a
governess, she
trained as a nurse, ending up working with the Red Cross in Belgium in 1907. On the
outbreak of
the First World War, she became involved in caring for the wounded on both sides. She
refused
repatriation and then began smuggling British soldiers from Belgium into Holland. In 1915
she
was arrested and brought to trial. Protecting those who worked with her, she was
sentenced to
death and executed by firing squad on this day in the year 1915. She went to her death
calmly,
forgiving her executioners, convinced she had been doing her duty as a Christian.
[Exciting
Holiness]