OREMUS: 10 October 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Oct 9 21:52:58 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Wednesday, October 10, 2007
Paulinus, Bishop of York, Missionary, 644

our life, our health, our salvation.
You look with mercy on your people;
you stip up in us a saving faith,
that believing, we may be healed,
and being healed, we may worthily give you thanks.

Save me, O God,*
 for the waters have risen up to my neck.
I am sinking in deep mire,*
 and there is no firm ground for my feet.
I have come into deep waters,*
 and the torrent washes over me.
I have grown weary with my crying;
   my throat is inflamed;*
 my eyes have failed from looking for my God.
Those who hate me without a cause
   are more than the hairs of my head;
   my lying foes who would destroy me are mighty.*
 Must I then give back what I never stole?
O God, you know my foolishness,*
 and my faults are not hidden from you.
Let not those who hope in you
   be put to shame through me, Lord God of hosts;*
 let not those who seek you be disgraced because of me,
   O God of Israel.
Surely, for your sake have I suffered reproach,*
 and shame has covered my face.
I have become a stranger to my own kindred,*
 an alien to my mother's children.
Zeal for your house has eaten me up;*
 the scorn of those who scorn you has fallen upon me.
I humbled myself with fasting,*
 but that was turned to my reproach.
I put on sack-cloth also,*
 and became a byword among them.
Those who sit at the gate murmur against me,*
 and the drunkards make songs about me.
But as for me, this is my prayer to you,*
 at the time you have set, O Lord:
'In your great mercy, O God,*
 answer me with your unfailing help.
'Save me from the mire; do not let me sink;*
 let me be rescued from those who hate me
   and out of the deep waters.
'Let not the torrent of waters wash over me,
   neither let the deep swallow me up;*
 do not let the Pit shut its mouth upon me.
'Answer me, O Lord, for your love is kind;*
 in your great compassion, turn to me.
'Hide not your face from your servant;*
 be swift and answer me, for I am in distress.
'Draw near to me and redeem me;*
 because of my enemies deliver me.
'You know my reproach, my shame and my dishonour;*
 my adversaries are all in your sight.'
Reproach has broken my heart and it cannot be healed;*
 I looked for sympathy, but there was none,
   for comforters, but I could find no one.
They gave me gall to eat,*
 and when I was thirsty, they gave me vinegar to drink.
As for me, I am afflicted and in pain;*
 your help, O God, will lift me up on high.
I will praise the name of God in song;*
 I will proclaim his greatness with thanksgiving.
This will please the Lord more than an offering of oxen,*
 more than bullocks with horns and hoofs.
The afflicted shall see and be glad;*
 you who seek God, your heart shall live.
For the Lord listens to the needy,*
 and his prisoners he does not despise.
Let the heavens and the earth praise him,*
 the seas and all that moves in them;
For God will save Zion and rebuild the cities of Judah;*
 they shall live there and have it in possession.
The children of his servants will inherit it,*
 and those who love his name will dwell therein.

Glory and Honor (Revelation 4:11; 5:9b)

You are worthy, our Lord and God,
to receive glory and honour and power.

For you have created all things,
and by your will they have their being.

You are worthy, O Lamb, for you were slain,
and by your blood you ransomed for God
saints from every tribe and language and nation.

You have made them to be a kingdom and priests
serving our God,
and they will reign with you on earth.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Jonah 4:1-11]:

This was very displeasing to Jonah, and he became angry.
He prayed to the Lord and said, 'O Lord! Is not this what
I said while I was still in my own country? That is why I
fled to Tarshish at the beginning; for I knew that you
are a gracious God and merciful, slow to anger, and
abounding in steadfast love, and ready to relent from
punishing. And now, O Lord, please take my life from me,
for it is better for me to die than to live.' And the
Lord said, 'Is it right for you to be angry?' Then Jonah
went out of the city and sat down east of the city, and
made a booth for himself there. He sat under it in the
shade, waiting to see what would become of the city.
The Lord God appointed a bush, and made it come up over
Jonah, to give shade over his head, to save him from his
discomfort; so Jonah was very happy about the bush. But
when dawn came up the next day, God appointed a worm that
attacked the bush, so that it withered. When the sun
rose, God prepared a sultry east wind, and the sun beat
down on the head of Jonah so that he was faint and asked
that he might die. He said, 'It is better for me to die
than to live.'
But God said to Jonah, 'Is it right for you to be angry
about the bush?' And he said, 'Yes, angry enough to die.'
Then the Lord said, 'You are concerned about the bush,
for which you did not labour and which you did not grow;
it came into being in a night and perished in a night.
And should I not be concerned about Nineveh, that great
city, in which there are more than a hundred and twenty
thousand people who do not know their right hand from
their left, and also many animals?'

HYMN
Words: James Montgomery, 1819
Tune:  St. Hugh, Windsor, Bangor, First Mode Melody, Walsall

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l442.html

Lord, teach us how to pray aright,
with reverence and with fear;
though dust and ashes in thy sight,
we may, we must draw near.

We perish if we cease from prayer,
O grant us power to pray!
And when to meet thee we prepare,
Lord, meet us by the way.

God of all grace, we bring to thee
a broken, contrite heart;
give, what thine eye delights ot see,
truth in the inward part.

Faith in the only sacrifice
that can for sin atone;
to build our hopes, to fix our eyes,
on Christ, on Christ alone;

Patience to watch and wait and weep,
though mercy long delay;
courage our fainting souls to keep,
and trust thee though thou slay.

Give these, and then thy will be done;
thus strengthened with all might,
we through thy Spirit and thy Son,
shall pray, and pray aright.

SECOND READING [Luke 11:1-4]:

Jesus was praying in a certain place, and after he had finished, one of his disciples said
to him, 'Lord, teach us to pray, as John taught his disciples.' He said to them, 'When
you pray, say:
Father, hallowed be your name.
   Your kingdom come.
   Give us each day our daily bread.
   And forgive us our sins,
     for we ourselves forgive everyone indebted to us.
   And do not bring us to the time of trial.'

We pray for the use of God's gifts to his Church, saying
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy, hear us

God our Father,
you give us gifts that we may work together
in the service of your Son:
Bless those who lead,
that they may be firm in faith,
yet humble before you.

Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who teach,
that they may increase our understanding,
and be open to your word for them:
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who minister healing,
that they may bring wholeness to other,
yet know your healing in themselves:
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those through whom you speak,
that they may proclaim your word in power,
yet have their ears open to your gentle whisper:
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who work in your world today
that they may live for you, fulfil your purposes,
and seek your kingdom first
in the complexity of their daily lives.
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who feel they have no gifts and are not valued,
and those who are powerless by the world's standards,
that they may share their experience
of the work of your Spirit.
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Let us walk in the way you love, O God.
Let us love you for yourself.
Let us love you in all all things.
Let us taste the sweetness of your love
and let it work its beauty in us,
until we love with that divine love with which you love us;
through Christ our Lord. Amen.

God our Saviour,
who sent Paulinus to preach and to baptize,
and so to build up your Church:
grant that, inspired by his example,
we may tell all the world of your truth,
that with him we may receive the reward
you prepare for all your faithful servants;

Give us your saving grace until that day when you welcome us
to the heavenly banquet beyond compare. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.