OREMUS: 9 October 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Oct 8 21:31:19 GMT 2007

OREMUS for , 2007
Robert Grosseteste, Bishop of Lincoln, Philosopher, Scientist, 1253

our life, our health, our salvation.
You look with mercy on your people;
you stip up in us a saving faith,
that believing, we may be healed,
and being healed, we may worthily give you thanks.

Psalm 68 [CCP]

Let God arise and let his enemies be scattered;*
 let those who hate him flee before him.
Let them vanish like smoke
   when the wind drives it away;*
 as the wax melts at the fire,
   so let the wicked perish at the presence of God.
But let the righteous be glad and rejoice before God;*
 let them also be merry and joyful.
Sing to God, sing praises to his name;
   exalt him who rides upon the heavens;*
 Yahweh is his name, rejoice before him!
Father of orphans, defender of widows,*
 God in his holy habitation!
God gives the solitary a home
   and brings forth prisoners into freedom;*
 but the rebels shall live in dry places.
O God, when you went forth before your people,*
 when you marched through the wilderness,
The earth shook and the skies poured down rain,
   at the presence of God, the God of Sinai,*
 at the presence of God, the God of Israel.
You sent a gracious rain, O God, upon your inheritance;*
 you refreshed the land when it was weary.
Your people found their home in it;*
 in your goodness, O God,
   you have made provision for the poor.
The Lord gave the word;*
 great was the company of women who bore the tidings:
'Kings with their armies are fleeing away;*
 the women at home are dividing the spoils.'
Though you lingered among the sheepfolds,*
 you shall be like a dove
   whose wings are covered with silver,
   whose feathers are like green gold.
When the Almighty scattered kings,*
 it was like snow falling in Zalmon.
O mighty mountain, O hill of Bashan!*
 O rugged mountain, O hill of Bashan!
Why do you look with envy, O rugged mountain,
   at the hill which God chose for his resting place?*
 truly, the Lord will dwell there for ever.
The chariots of God are twenty thousand,
   even thousands of thousands;*
 the Lord comes in holiness from Sinai.
You have gone up on high and led captivity captive;
   you have received gifts even from your enemies,*
 that the Lord God might dwell among them.
Blessed be the Lord day by day,*
 the God of our salvation, who bears our burdens.
He is our God, the God of our salvation;*
 God is the Lord, by whom we escape death.
Your procession is seen, O God,*
 your procession into the sanctuary, my God and my King.
The singers go before, musicians follow after,*
 in the midst of maidens playing upon the hand-drums.
Bless God in the congregation;*
 bless the Lord, you that are of the fountain of Israel.
There is Benjamin, least of the tribes, at the head;
   the princes of Judah in a company;*
 and the princes of Zebulon and Naphtali.
Send forth your strength, O God;*
 establish, O God, what you have wrought for us.
Kings shall bring gifts to you,*
 for your temple's sake at Jerusalem.
Rebuke the wild beast of the reeds,*
 and the peoples, a herd of wild bulls with its calves.
Trample down those who lust after silver;*
 scatter the peoples that delight in war.
Let tribute be brought out of Egypt;*
 let Ethiopia stretch out her hands to God.
Sing to God, O kingdoms of the earth;*
 sing praises to the Lord.
He rides in the heavens, the ancient heavens;*
 he sends forth his voice, his mighty voice.
Ascribe power to God;*
 his majesty is over Israel;
   his strength is in the skies.
How wonderful is God in his holy places!*
 the God of Israel giving strength and power to his people!
   Blessed be God!

A Song of God's Chosen One (Isaiah 11.1-4a,6,9)

There shall come forth a shoot from the stock of Jesse,
and a branch shall grow out of his roots.

And the Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him,
the spirit of wisdom and understanding,

The spirit of counsel and might,
the spirit of knowledge and the fear of the Lord.

He shall not judge by what his eyes see,
or decide by what his ears hear,

But with righteousness he shall judge the poor,
and decide with equity for the meek of the earth.

The wolf shall dwell with the lamb,
and the leopard shall lie down with the kid.

The calf, the lion and the fatling together,
with a little child to lead them.

They shall not hurt or destroy in all my holy mountain,
for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord
as the waters cover the sea.

FIRST READING [Jonah 3:1-10]:

The word of the Lord came to Jonah a second time, saying,
'Get up, go to Nineveh, that great city, and proclaim to
it the message that I tell you.' So Jonah set out and
went to Nineveh, according to the word of the Lord. Now
Nineveh was an exceedingly large city, a three days' walk
across. Jonah began to go into the city, going a day's
walk. And he cried out, 'Forty days more, and Nineveh
shall be overthrown!' And the people of Nineveh believed
God; they proclaimed a fast, and everyone, great and
small, put on sackcloth.
When the news reached the king of Nineveh, he rose from
his throne, removed his robe, covered himself with
sackcloth, and sat in ashes. Then he had a proclamation
made in Nineveh: 'By the decree of the king and his
nobles: No human being or animal, no herd or flock, shall
taste anything. They shall not feed, nor shall they drink
water. Human beings and animals shall be covered with
sackcloth, and they shall cry mightily to God. All shall
turn from their evil ways and from the violence that is
in their hands. Who knows? God may relent and change his
mind; he may turn from his fierce anger, so that we do
not perish.'
When God saw what they did, how they turned from their
evil ways, God changed his mind about the calamity that
he had said he would bring upon them; and he did not do
it.

HYMN
Words: John Greenleaf Whittier, 1850
Tune: Welwyn, Intercessor, Donne secours

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o026.html

O brother man, fold to thy heart thy brother;
where pity dwells, the peace of God is there;
to worship rightly is to love each other,
each smile a hymn, each kindly deed a prayer.

For he whom Jesus loved has truly spoken:
the holier worship which He deigns to bless
restores the lost, and binds the spirit broken,
and feeds the widow and the fatherless.

Follow with reverent steps the great example
of him whose holy work was doing good;
so shall the wide earth seem our Father's temple,
each loving life a psalm of gratitude.

Then shall all shackles fall; the stormy clangor
of wild war music o'er the earth shall cease;
love shall tread out the baleful fire of anger,
and in its ashes plant the tree of peace.

SECOND READING [Luke 10:38-42]:

Now as they went on their way, he entered a certain village, where a woman named
Martha welcomed him into her home. She had a sister named Mary, who sat at the
Lord's feet and listened to what he was saying. But Martha was distracted by her
many tasks; so she came to him and asked, 'Lord, do you not care that my sister has
left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her then to help me.' But the Lord answered
her, 'Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of
only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part, which will not be taken away from
her.'

Let us pray for our own needs and for the needs of others,
following the pattern which Jesus gave
when he taught us to pray to God our Father.

Through our love of the countryside,
through our care for animals,
through our respect for property and tools,
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name.

On our farms and in our homes,
in our colleges and schools,
where machinery is made, and where policy is planned,
Father, your kingdom come.

By our seeking your guidance,
by our keeping your commandments,
by our living true to our consciences,
Father, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.

For the millions who live in poverty and hunger,
for our own needs, and the requirements of our neighbours,
by co-operation, sympathy, and generosity,
Give us today our daily bread.

Because we have broken your commandments,
doing what we ought not to do,
and neglecting what we ought to do,
Forgive us our sins.

If any have injured us by injustice, double dealing or exploitation,
We forgive those who sin against us.

When prosperity lulls us to false security,
or adversity prompts us to despair,
when success makes us boastful,
or failure makes us bitter,
Save us from the time of trial, and deliver us from evil.

In the assurance of faith,
in the confidence of hope,
in the will to serve,
help us to love Christ as Lord,
and our neighbour as ourselves.
For the kingdom, the power,
and the glory are yours now and for ever. Amen.

Blessed be God
whose victory creates a new people,
who makes his home among the weak,
who delivers us from death,
and who brings joy and blessings beyond our imagining.
Blessed be God for ever. Amen.

O God,
who raised up your faithful servant Robert Grosseteste
to be a bishop and pastor in your Church and to feed your flock;
Give abundantly to all pastors the gifts of your Holy Spirit,
that they may minister in your household as true servants of Christ
and stewards of your divine mysteries;

Give us your saving grace until that day when you welcome us
to the heavenly banquet beyond compare. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

Had the leaders of the thirteenth century heeded this preacher, many of the
disasters of the following three centuries might have been avoided. Robert was
a peasant lad from Suffolk, born about 1175. He distinguished himself at
Oxford in law, medicine, languages, natural sciences, and theology. He became
what is now called Chancellor of Oxford University.
In 1235, he was elected Bishop of Lincoln, in area the largest diocese in
England. He promptly visited all the churches in the diocese and quickly
removed many of the prominent clergy because they were neglectng their
pastoral duties. He vigorously opposed the practice by which the Pope
appointed Italians as absentee clergy for English churches (collecting salaries
from said churches without ever setting foot in the country). He insisted that
his priests spend their time in the service of their people, in prayer, and in
study. He went on a pilgrimage to Rome, where he spoke out boldly against
ecclesiastical abuses. Back in England, he spoke against unlawful usurpations
of power by the monarch, and was one of those present at the signing of the
Magna Carta.
Grosseteste's scholarly writings embraced many fields of learning. He
translated into Latin the Ethics of Aristotle and the theological works of John
of Damascus and of the fifth-century writer known as Dionysius the
Areopagite. He was skilled in poetry, music, architecture, mathematics,
astronomy, optics, and physics (one of his pupils was Roger Bacon). His
writings on the first chapter of Genesis include an interesting anticipation of
modern cosmological ideas. (He read that the first thing created was light, and
said that the universe began with pure energy exploding from a point source.)
He knew Hebrew and Greek, and his Biblical studies were a notable
contribution to the scholarship of the day. [James Kiefer]