OREMUS: 8 October 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Oct 7 23:25:53 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Monday, October 8, 2007

our life, our health, our salvation.
You look with mercy on your people;
you stip up in us a saving faith,
that believing, we may be healed,
and being healed, we may worthily give you thanks.

Be joyful in God, all you lands;*
 sing the glory of his name;
   sing the glory of his praise.
Say to God, 'How awesome are your deeds!*
 because of your great strength
   your enemies cringe before you.
'All the earth bows down before you,*
 sings to you, sings out your name.'
Come now and see the works of God,*
 how wonderful he is in his doing towards all people.
He turned the sea into dry land,
   so that they went through the water on foot,*
 and there we rejoiced in him.
In his might he rules for ever;
   his eyes keep watch over the nations;*
 let no rebel rise up against him.
Bless our God, you peoples;*
 make the voice of his praise to be heard;
Who holds our souls in life,*
 and will not allow our feet to slip.
For you, O God, have proved us;*
 you have tried us just as silver is tried.
You brought us into the snare;*
 you laid heavy burdens upon our backs.
You let enemies ride over our heads;
   we went through fire and water;*
 but you brought us out into a place of refreshment.
I will enter your house with burnt-offerings
   and will pay you my vows,*
 which I promised with my lips
   and spoke with my mouth when I was in trouble.
I will offer you sacrifices of fat beasts
   with the smoke of rams;*
 I will give you oxen and goats.
Come and listen, all you who fear God,*
 and I will tell you what he has done for me.
I called out to him with my mouth,*
 and his praise was on my tongue.
If I had found evil in my heart,*
 the Lord would not have heard me;
But in truth God has heard me;*
 he has attended to the voice of my prayer.
Blessed be God, who has not rejected my prayer,*
 nor withheld his love from me.

Psalm 67

May God be merciful to us and bless us,*
 show us the light of his countenance and come to us.
Let your ways be known upon earth,*
 your saving health among all nations.
Let the peoples praise you, O God;*
 let all the peoples praise you.
Let the nations be glad and sing for joy,*
 for you judge the peoples with equity
   and guide all the nations upon earth.
Let the peoples praise you, O God;*
 let all the peoples praise you.
The earth has brought forth her increase;*
 may God, our own God, give us his blessing.
May God give us his blessing,*
 and may all the ends of the earth stand in awe of him.

A Song of Judith (Judith 16:13-16)

I will sing a new song to my God,
for you are great and glorious,
truly strong and invincible.

May your whole creation serve you,
for you spoke and all things came to be.

You sent forth your Spirit and they were formed,
for no one can resist your voice.

Mountains and seas are stirred to their depths;
at your presence rocks shall melt like wax.

But to those who fear you,
you continue to show mercy.

No sacrifice, however fragrant, can please you,
but whoever fears the Lord
shall stand in your sight for ever.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Jonah 1:1-17; 2:10]:

Now the word of the Lord came to Jonah son of Amittai,
saying, 'Go at once to Nineveh, that great city, and cry
out against it; for their wickedness has come up before
me.' But Jonah set out to flee to Tarshish from the
presence of the Lord. He went down to Joppa and found a
ship going to Tarshish; so he paid his fare and went on
board, to go with them to Tarshish, away from the
presence of the Lord.
But the Lord hurled a great wind upon the sea, and such a
mighty storm came upon the sea that the ship threatened
to break up. Then the mariners were afraid, and each
cried to his god. They threw the cargo that was in the
ship into the sea, to lighten it for them. Jonah,
meanwhile, had gone down into the hold of the ship and
had lain down, and was fast asleep. The captain came and
said to him, 'What are you doing sound asleep? Get up,
call on your god! Perhaps the god will spare us a thought
so that we do not perish.'
The sailors said to one another, 'Come, let us cast lots,
so that we may know on whose account this calamity has
come upon us.' So they cast lots, and the lot fell on
Jonah. Then they said to him, 'Tell us why this calamity
has come upon us. What is your occupation? Where do you
come from? What is your country? And of what people are
you?' 'I am a Hebrew,' he replied. 'I worship the Lord,
the God of heaven, who made the sea and the dry land.'
Then the men were even more afraid, and said to him,
'What is this that you have done!' For the men knew that
he was fleeing from the presence of the Lord, because he
had told them so.
Then they said to him, 'What shall we do to you, that the
sea may quieten down for us?' For the sea was growing
more and more tempestuous. He said to them, 'Pick me up
and throw me into the sea; then the sea will quieten down
for you; for I know it is because of me that this great
storm has come upon you.' Nevertheless, the men rowed
hard to bring the ship back to land, but they could not,
for the sea grew more and more stormy against them. Then
they cried out to the Lord, 'Please, O Lord, we pray, do
not let us perish on account of this man's life. Do not
make us guilty of innocent blood; for you, O Lord, have
done as it pleased you.' So they picked Jonah up and
threw him into the sea; and the sea ceased from its
raging. Then the men feared the Lord even more, and they
offered a sacrifice to the Lord and made vows.
But the Lord provided a large fish to swallow up Jonah;
and Jonah was in the belly of the fish for three days and
three nights.
Then the Lord spoke to the fish, and it spewed Jonah out
upon the dry land.

HYMN
Words: ane Manton Marshall (1924-);
  Hope Publishing Co
Tune: Rhosymedre

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/y/y053.html

You call us, Lord, to be
a people set apart,
to feel with thoughtful mind
and think with tender heart.
Refrain:
  Thus chosen, now, O Lord, we ask
  for faith in your unfailing grace
  to make us equal to the task.

You call us, Lord, to care
for self and neighbor too,
to take the risk, and dare
to show what love can do. Refrain

You call us, Lord, to be
good stewards of the earth;
to tend it as a place
of blessedness and worth. Refrain

You call us, Lord, to serve:
to die that we may live,
to know we best receive
when joyfully we give. Refrain

SECOND READING [Luke 10:25-37]:

Just then a lawyer stood up to test Jesus. 'Teacher,' he said, 'what must I do to inherit
eternal life?' He said to him, 'What is written in the law? What do you read there?' He
answered, 'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your
soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbour as
yourself.' And he said to him, 'You have given the right answer; do this, and you will
live.'
But wanting to justify himself, he asked Jesus, 'And who is my neighbour?' Jesus
replied, 'A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell into the hands of
robbers, who stripped him, beat him, and went away, leaving him half dead. Now by
chance a priest was going down that road; and when he saw him, he passed by on the
other side. So likewise a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on
the other side. But a Samaritan while travelling came near him; and when he saw him,
he was moved with pity. He went to him and bandaged his wounds, having poured oil
and wine on them. Then he put him on his own animal, brought him to an inn, and
took care of him. The next day he took out two denarii, gave them to the innkeeper,
and said, "Take care of him; and when I come back, I will repay you whatever more
you spend." Which of these three, do you think, was a neighbour to the man who fell
into the hands of the robbers?' He said, 'The one who showed him mercy.' Jesus said
to him, 'Go and do likewise.'

High and holy God,
robed in majesty,
Lord of heaven and earth,
we pray that you bring justice, faith
and salvation to all peoples.
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

You chose us in Christ to be your people
and to be the temple of your Holy Spirit;
we pray that you will fill your Church with vision and hope.
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Your Spirit enables us to cry, "Abba! Father!",
affirms that we are fellow-heirs with Christ
and pleads for us in our weakness;
we pray for all who are in need or distress.
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

In the baptism and birth of Jesus,
you have opened heaven to us
and enabled us to share in your glory:
the joy of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit
from before the world was made.
May your Church, living and departed,
come to a joyful resurrection in your city of light.
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

How generous is your goodness, O God,
how great is your salvation,
how faithful is your love!
Help us to trust in you in trial,
to praise you in deliverance
and to rejoice before you with overflowing hearts;

Give us your saving grace until that day when you welcome us
to the heavenly banquet beyond compare. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.