OREMUS: 7 October 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Oct 6 17:00:00 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Sunday, October 7, 2007
The Nineteenth Sunday after Pentecost

our life, our health, our salvation.
You look with mercy on your people;
you stip up in us a saving faith,
that believing, we may be healed,
and being healed, we may worthily give you thanks.

Give the king your justice, O God,*
 and your righteousness to the king's son;
That he may rule your people righteously*
 and the poor with justice;
That the mountains may bring prosperity to the people,*
 and the little hills bring righteousness.
He shall defend the needy among the people;*
 he shall rescue the poor and crush the oppressor.
He shall live as long as the sun and moon endure,*
 from one generation to another.
He shall come down like rain upon the mown field,*
 like showers that water the earth.
In his time shall the righteous flourish;*
 there shall be abundance of peace
   till the moon shall be no more.
He shall rule from sea to sea,*
 and from the River to the ends of the earth.
His foes shall bow down before him,*
 and his enemies lick the dust.
The kings of Tarshish and of the isles shall pay tribute,*
 and the kings of Arabia and Saba offer gifts.
All kings shall bow down before him,*
 and all the nations do him service.
For he shall deliver the poor who cries out in distress,*
 and the oppressed who has no helper.
He shall have pity on the lowly and poor;*
 he shall preserve the lives of the needy.
He shall redeem their lives from oppression and violence,*
 and dear shall their blood be in his sight.
Long may he live,
   and may there be given to him gold from Arabia;*
 may prayer be made for him always,
   and may they bless him all the day long.
May there be abundance of grain on the earth,
   growing thick even on the hilltops;*
 may its fruit flourish like Lebanon,
   and its grain like grass upon the earth.
May his name remain for ever
   and be established as long as the sun endures;*
 may all the nations bless themselves in him
   and call him blessed.
Blessed be the Lord God, the God of Israel,*
 who alone does wondrous deeds!
And blessed be his glorious name for ever!*
 and may all the earth be filled with his glory.
   Amen. Amen.

A Song of the Heavenly City (Revelation 21.22-26;22.1,2b,2d,3b-4)

I saw no temple in the city,
for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty
and the Lamb.

And the city has no need of sun or moon
to shine upon it,
for the glory of God is its light,
and its lamp is the Lamb.

By its light the nations shall walk,
and the rulers of the earth
shall bring their glory into it.

Its gates shall never be shut by day,
nor shall there be any night;
they shall bring into it
the glory and honour of the nations.

I saw the river of the water of life,
bright as crystal,
flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb.

And either side of the river stood the tree of life,
yielding its fruit each month,
and the leaves of the tree
were for the healing of the nations.

The throne of God and of the Lamb shall be there,
and his servants shall worship him;
and they shall see his face
and his name shall be on their foreheads.

for ever and ever. Amen.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Nehemiah 5:1-13]:

Now there was a great outcry of the people and of their
wives against their Jewish kin. For there were those who
said, 'With our sons and our daughters, we are many; we
must get grain, so that we may eat and stay alive.' There
were also those who said, 'We are having to pledge our
fields, our vineyards, and our houses in order to get
grain during the famine.' And there were those who said,
'We are having to borrow money on our fields and
vineyards to pay the king's tax. Now our flesh is the
same as that of our kindred; our children are the same as
their children; and yet we are forcing our sons and
daughters to be slaves, and some of our daughters have
been ravished; we are powerless, and our fields and
vineyards now belong to others.'

I was very angry when I heard their outcry and these
complaints. After thinking it over, I brought charges
against the nobles and the officials; I said to them,
'You are all taking interest from your own people.' And I
called a great assembly to deal with them, and said to
them, 'As far as we were able, we have bought back our
Jewish kindred who had been sold to other nations; but
now you are selling your own kin, who must then be bought
back by us!' They were silent, and could not find a word
to say. So I said, 'The thing that you are doing is not
good. Should you not walk in the fear of our God, to
prevent the taunts of the nations our enemies? Moreover,
I and my brothers and my servants are lending them money
and grain. Let us stop this taking of interest. Restore
to them, this very day, their fields, their vineyards,
their olive orchards, and their houses, and the interest
on money, grain, wine, and oil that you have been
exacting from them.' Then they said, 'We will restore
everything and demand nothing more from them. We will do
as you say.' And I called the priests, and made them take
an oath to do as they had promised. I also shook out the
fold of my garment and said, 'So may God shake out
everyone from house and from property who does not
perform this promise. Thus may they be shaken out and
emptied.' And all the assembly said, 'Amen', and praised
the Lord. And the people did as they had promised.

HYMN
Words:
Tune:

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t698.html

SECOND READING [John 9]:

As he walked along, Jesus saw a man blind from birth. His disciples asked him, 'Rabbi,
who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?' Jesus answered, 'Neither
this man nor his parents sinned; he was born blind so that God's works might be
revealed in him. We must work the works of him who sent me while it is day; night is
coming when no one can work. As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the
world.' When he had said this, he spat on the ground and made mud with the saliva
and spread the mud on the man's eyes, saying to him, 'Go, wash in the pool of Siloam'
(which means Sent). Then he went and washed and came back able to see. The
neighbours and those who had seen him before as a beggar began to ask, 'Is this not
the man who used to sit and beg?' Some were saying, 'It is he.' Others were saying,
'No, but it is someone like him.' He kept saying, 'I am the man.' But they kept asking
him, 'Then how were your eyes opened?' He answered, 'The man called Jesus made
mud, spread it on my eyes, and said to me, "Go to Siloam and wash." Then I went and
washed and received my sight.' They said to him, 'Where is he?' He said, 'I do not
know.'
They brought to the Pharisees the man who had formerly been blind. Now it was a
sabbath day when Jesus made the mud and opened his eyes. Then the Pharisees also
began to ask him how he had received his sight. He said to them, 'He put mud on my
eyes. Then I washed, and now I see.' Some of the Pharisees said, 'This man is not
from God, for he does not observe the sabbath.' But others said, 'How can a man who
is a sinner perform such signs?' And they were divided. So they said again to the blind
man, 'What do you say about him? It was your eyes he opened.' He said, 'He is a
prophet.'
The Jews did not believe that he had been blind and had received his sight until they
called the parents of the man who had received his sight and asked them, 'Is this your
son, who you say was born blind? How then does he now see?' His parents answered,
'We know that this is our son, and that he was born blind; but we do not know how it
is that now he sees, nor do we know who opened his eyes. Ask him; he is of age. He
will speak for himself.' His parents said this because they were afraid of the Jews; for
the Jews had already agreed that anyone who confessed Jesus to be the Messiah would
be put out of the synagogue. Therefore his parents said, 'He is of age; ask him.'
So for the second time they called the man who had been blind, and they said to him,
'Give glory to God! We know that this man is a sinner.' He answered, 'I do not know
whether he is a sinner. One thing I do know, that though I was blind, now I see.' They
said to him, 'What did he do to you? How did he open your eyes?' He answered them,
'I have told you already, and you would not listen. Why do you want to hear it again?
Do you also want to become his disciples?' Then they reviled him, saying, 'You are his
disciple, but we are disciples of Moses. We know that God has spoken to Moses, but
as for this man, we do not know where he comes from.' The man answered, 'Here is
an astonishing thing! You do not know where he comes from, and yet he opened my
eyes. We know that God does not listen to sinners, but he does listen to one who
worships him and obeys his will. Never since the world began has it been heard that
anyone opened the eyes of a person born blind. If this man were not from God, he
could do nothing.' They answered him, 'You were born entirely in sins, and are you
trying to teach us?' And they drove him out.
Jesus heard that they had driven him out, and when he found him, he said, 'Do you
believe in the Son of Man?' He answered, 'And who is he, sir? Tell me, so that I may
believe in him.' Jesus said to him, 'You have seen him, and the one speaking with you
is he.' He said, 'Lord, I believe.' And he worshipped him. Jesus said, 'I came into this
world for judgement so that those who do not see may see, and those who do see may
become blind.' Some of the Pharisees near him heard this and said to him, 'Surely we
are not blind, are we?' Jesus said to them, 'If you were blind, you would not have sin.
But now that you say, "We see", your sin remains.

Let us pray for the whole people of God
and for all people according to their needs,
saying: "Hear our prayer."

For the whole church, that, true to its calling,
it may witness to the radical and boundless love of God
and proclaim God's love in word and deed.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For all the people of our church, for our bishops,
for all pastors and teachers, that strengthened by Word and Sacrament,
our witness in this land may be full of faith and love.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For all the baptized, that we may embrace our lives
and the lives of others with courage and compassion,
unafraid of joy and pain, sickness and health.
May our care be a sign of God's care.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For those who govern the nations of the world,
that they may use their authority in wisdom, kindness and peacefulness.
Awaken in all who govern a thirst for justice
that embodies your care for the human community.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For all those who suffer poverty, injustice or oppression,
that you would rescue them when they cry out.
Open the ears of our hearts to hear,
and quicken in us the fire to respond in love.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For all who suffer illness, distress or grief,
especially those we name silently or aloud ... ,
that you would grant them comfort, healing and release.
Awaken in us boundless compassion
and use us as agents of lovingkindness.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For the saints of every time and generation,
that you would keep us all in the bonds of love
and bring us to the fullness of your reign.
O God, of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

O God of Love, hear the prayers of your people.
Enliven us by your Spirit to live into the fullness of your reign.
We pray through Jesus, our life and our hope. Amen.

O God,
you have made heaven and earth
and all that is good;
and in Jesus Christ you show us
that secret of joy is a heart set free from selfish desires:
Help us to delight in simple things
and to rejoice in the richness of your bounty;
through the same Jesus Christ our Lord,
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

Give us your saving grace until that day when you welcome us
to the heavenly banquet beyond compare. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.