OREMUS: 5 October 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Oct 4 20:54:28 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Friday, October 5, 2007

Blessed are you, O God of justice,
you hear our cry and save us.
You call us to heed your word to the prophets,
you rouse us to the demand of the gospel
and impel us to carry it out.

Rescue me from my enemies, O God;*
 protect me from those who rise up against me.
Rescue me from evildoers*
 and save me from those who thirst for my blood.
See how they lie in wait for my life,
   how the mighty gather together against me;*
 not for any offence or fault of mine, O Lord.
Not because of any guilt of mine*
 they run and prepare themselves for battle.
Rouse yourself, come to my side and see;*
 for you, Lord God of hosts, are Israel's God.
My eyes are fixed on you, O my Strength;*
 for you, O God, are my stronghold.
My merciful God comes to meet me;*
 God will let me look in triumph on my enemies.
Let everyone know that God rules in Jacob,*
 and to the ends of the earth.
For my part, I will sing of your strength;*
 I will celebrate your love in the morning;
For you have become my stronghold,*
 a refuge in the day of my trouble.
To you, O my Strength, will I sing;*
 for you, O God, are my stronghold
   and my merciful God.

Psalm 61

Hear my cry, O God,*
 and listen to my prayer.
I call upon you from the ends of the earth
   with heaviness in my heart;*
 set me upon the rock that is higher than I.
For you have been my refuge,*
 a strong tower against the enemy.
I will dwell in your house for ever;*
 I will take refuge under the cover of your wings.
For you, O God, have heard my vows;*
 you have granted me the heritage
   of those who fear your name.
Add length of days to the king's life;*
 let his years extend over many generations.
Let him sit enthroned before God for ever;*
 bid love and faithfulness watch over him.
So will I always sing the praise of your name,*
 and day by day I will fulfil my vows.

A Song of Faith (1 Peter 1.3-4,18-21)

Blessed be the God and Father
of our Lord Jesus Christ!

By his great mercy we have been born anew to a living hope
through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.

Into an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled and unfading,
kept in heaven for you.

Who are being protected by the power of God
through faith for a salvation,
ready to be revealed in the last time.

You were ransomed from the futile ways of your ancestors
not with perishable things like silver or gold

But with the precious blood of Christ
like that of a lamb without spot or stain.

Through him you have confidence in God,
who raised him from the dead and gave him glory,
so that your faith and hope are set on God.

FIRST READING [Baruch 1:15-21]:

The Lord our God is in the right, but there is open shame
on us today, on the people of Judah, on the inhabitants
of Jerusalem, and on our kings, our rulers, our priests,
our prophets, and our ancestors, because we have sinned
before the Lord. We have disobeyed him, and have not
heeded the voice of the Lord our God, to walk in the
statutes of the Lord that he set before us. From the time
when the Lord brought our ancestors out of the land of
Egypt until today, we have been disobedient to the Lord
our God, and we have been negligent, in not heeding his
voice. So to this day there have clung to us the
calamities and the curse that the Lord declared through
his servant Moses at the time when he brought our
ancestors out of the land of Egypt to give to us a land
flowing with milk and honey. We did not listen to the
voice of the Lord our God in all the words of the
prophets whom he sent to us.

HYMN
Words: Carl P. Daw, Jr. (c)
Tune: Kingsfold

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b122.html

Blest be the God of Israel
who comes to set us free
and raises new hope for us:
a Branch from David's tree.
So have the prophets long declared
that with a mighty arm
God would turn back our enemies
and all who wish us harm.

With promised mercy will God still
the covenant recall:
the oath once sworn to Abraham,
from foes to save us all;
that we might worship without fear
and offer lives of praise,
in holiness and righteousness
before God all our days.

My child, as prophet of the Lord,
you will prepare the way,
to tell God's people they are saved
from sin's eternal sway.
Then shall God's mercy from on high
shine forth and never cease
to drive away the gloom of death
and lead us into peace.

SECOND READING [Luke 10:13-16]:

Jesus said,  'Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the deeds of power
done in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago,
sitting in sackcloth and ashes. But at the judgement it will be more tolerable for Tyre
and Sidon than for you. And you, Capernaum, will you be exalted to heaven? No, you
will be brought down to Hades.
'Whoever listens to you listens to me, and whoever rejects you rejects me, and
whoever rejects me rejects the one who sent me.'

Planting God,
how beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those
who bring good news.

Around your table we are bound together as your Body
for the life of the world.
Grant us a grower's wisdom, O Lord.

Deliver us from impatience
that will not wait for fruit to ripen:
Grant us a grower's wisdom, O Lord.

Save us from forcing others to see what we see
and embrace what we embrace:
Grant us a grower's wisdom, O Lord.

Liberate us from anger rooted in self-justification:
Grant us a grower's wisdom, O Lord.

Fix our gaze upon you
so that we are not overwhelmed by the want and failure of others:
Grant us a grower's wisdom, O Lord.

Sow yourself in our words and deeds
that become food for hungry souls:
Grant us a grower's wisdom, O Lord.

Stand, O strong and merciful God,
against all oppression
and with all who are oppressed;
against the triumph of evil
and against the complacency of your people;
establish in Jesus Christ
your new order of generosity and joy. Amen.

Pour out your Spirit, O God, over all the world,
to inspire every heart with knowledge and love of you. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

Hymn (c) 1989 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
For permission to reproduce this hymn, contact:  Hope Publishing Company, <a
href="http://www.hopepublishing.com">www.hopepublishing.com