OREMUS: 3 October 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Oct 2 20:38:48 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Blessed are you, O God of justice,
you hear our cry and save us.
You call us to heed your word to the prophets,
you rouse us to the demand of the gospel
and impel us to carry it out.

Clap your hands, all you peoples;*
 shout to God with a cry of joy.
For the Lord Most High is to be feared;*
 he is the great king over all the earth.
He subdues the peoples under us,*
 and the nations under our feet.
He chooses our inheritance for us,*
 the pride of Jacob whom he loves.
God has gone up with a shout,*
 the Lord with the sound of the ram's-horn.
Sing praises to God, sing praises;*
 sing praises to our king, sing praises.
For God is king of all the earth;*
 sing praises with all your skill.
God reigns over the nations;*
 God sits upon his holy throne.
The nobles of the peoples have gathered together*
 with the people of the God of Abraham.
The rulers of the earth belong to God,*
 and he is highly exalted.

Psalm 53

The fool has said in his heart, 'There is no God.'*
 All are corrupt and commit abominable acts;
   there is none who does any good.
God looks down from heaven upon us all,*
 to see if there is any who is wise,
   if there is one who seeks after God.
Every one has proved faithless;
   all alike have turned bad;*
 there is none who does good; no, not one.
Have they no knowledge, those evildoers*
 who eat up my people like bread
   and do not call upon God?
See how greatly they tremble,
   such trembling as never was;*
 for God has scattered the bones of the enemy;
   they are put to shame, because God has rejected them.
O that Israel's deliverance would come out of Zion!*
 when God restores the fortunes of his people
   Jacob will rejoice and Israel be glad.

Psalm 54

Save me, O God, by your name;*
 in your might, defend my cause.
Hear my prayer, O God;*
 give ear to the words of my mouth.
For the arrogant have risen up against me,
   and the ruthless have sought my life,*
 those who have no regard for God.
Behold, God is my helper;*
 it is the Lord who sustains my life.
Render evil to those who spy on me;*
 in your faithfulness, destroy them.
I will offer you a freewill sacrifice*
 and praise your name, O Lord, for it is good.
For you have rescued me from every trouble,*
 and my eye has seen the ruin of my foes.

A Song of Redemption (Colossians 1.13-18a,19,20a)

The Father has delivered us from the dominion of darkness,
and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son;

In whom we have redemption,
the forgiveness of our sins.

He is the image of the invisible God,
the firstborn of all creation.

For in him all things were created,
in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible.

All things were created through him and for him,
he is before all things and in him all things hold together.

He is the head of the body, the Church,
he is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead.

In him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell;
and through him God was pleased to reconcile all things.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING []:

All the people gathered together into the square before the Water Gate. They told the
scribe Ezra to bring the book of the law of Moses, which the Lord had given to Israel.
Accordingly, the priest Ezra brought the law before the assembly, both men and
women and all who could hear with understanding. This was on the first day of the
seventh month. He read from it facing the square before the Water Gate from early
morning until midday, in the presence of the men and the women and those who could
understand; and the ears of all the people were attentive to the book of the law. The
scribe Ezra stood on a wooden platform that had been made for the purpose; and
beside him stood Mattithiah, Shema, Anaiah, Uriah, Hilkiah, and Maaseiah on his right
hand; and Pedaiah, Mishael, Malchijah, Hashum, Hash-baddanah, Zechariah, and
Meshullam on his left hand. And Ezra opened the book in the sight of all the people,
for he was standing above all the people; and when he opened it, all the people stood
up. Then Ezra blessed the Lord, the great God, and all the people answered, 'Amen,
Amen', lifting up their hands. Then they bowed their heads and worshipped the Lord
with their faces to the ground. Also Jeshua, Bani, Sherebiah, Jamin, Akkub,
Shabbethai, Hodiah, Maaseiah, Kelita, Azariah, Jozabad, Hanan, Pelaiah, the Levites,
helped the people to understand the law, while the people remained in their places. So
they read from the book, from the law of God, with interpretation. They gave the
sense, so that the people understood the reading.
And Nehemiah, who was the governor, and Ezra the priest and scribe, and the Levites
who taught the people said to all the people, 'This day is holy to the Lord your God;
do not mourn or weep.' For all the people wept when they heard the words of the law.
Then he said to them, 'Go your way, eat the fat and drink sweet wine and send
portions of them to those for whom nothing is prepared, for this day is holy to our
Lord; and do not be grieved, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.' So the Levites
stilled all the people, saying, 'Be quiet, for this day is holy; do not be grieved.' And all
the people went their way to eat and drink and to send portions and to make great
rejoicing, because they had understood the words that were declared to them.

HYMN
Words: attributed to Ambrose of Milan, fourth century;
trans. John Ellerton and Fenton John Anthony Hort, 1870
Tune: Strength and Stay

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o605.html

O Strength and Stay upholding all creation,
who ever dost thyself unmoved abide;
yet day by day the light in due gradation
from hour to hour through all its changes guide.

Grant to life's day a calm unclouded ending,
An eve untouched by shadows of decay,
the brightness of a holy deathbed blending
With dawning glories of the eternal day.

Hear us, O Father, gracious and forgiving,
through Jesus Christ thy co-eternal Word,
who, with the Holy Ghost, by all things living
Now and to endless ages art adored.

SECOND READING [Luke 10:1-12]:

After this the Lord appointed seventy others and sent them on ahead of him in pairs to
every town and place where he himself intended to go. He said to them, 'The harvest
is plentiful, but the labourers are few; therefore ask the Lord of the harvest to send out
labourers into his harvest. Go on your way. See, I am sending you out like lambs into
the midst of wolves. Carry no purse, no bag, no sandals; and greet no one on the road.
Whatever house you enter, first say, "Peace to this house!" And if anyone is there who
shares in peace, your peace will rest on that person; but if not, it will return to you.
Remain in the same house, eating and drinking whatever they provide, for the labourer
deserves to be paid. Do not move about from house to house. Whenever you enter a
town and its people welcome you, eat what is set before you; cure the sick who are
there, and say to them, "The kingdom of God has come near to you." But whenever
you enter a town and they do not welcome you, go out into its streets and say, "Even
the dust of your town that clings to our feet, we wipe off in protest against you. Yet
know this: the kingdom of God has come near." I tell you, on that day it will be more
tolerable for Sodom than for that town.

Earth-shaking, sky-rumbling, all-powerful Trinity:
Behold your Church.

We thank you for claiming for yourself
servants from every nation and time
to be a royal priest dedicated to your service.
Lord of glory,
send us out to do the work you have given us to do.

We thank you for our common vocation
of giving witness to your coming reign.
Lord of glory,
send us out to do the work you have given us to do.

Sift us like wheat,
convert the catechumens,
turn homeward the penitents
and welcome those who are strangers.
Lord of glory,
send us out to do the work you have given us to do.

Clothe your Church with words and deeds that free and heal.
Lord of glory,
come in your might.

Light our lamps with the oil of your Spirit.
Lord of glory,
come in your might.

Make us and all your Church vigilant and alert
for your knocking on doors.
Lord of glory,
come in your might.

In you, O God,
all reality holds together;
without you, all falls into corruption;
do not abandon us to our folly
but give us hearts that seek you
and, at the last, joy in your heavenly city;

Pour out your Spirit, O God, over all the world,
to inspire every heart with knowledge and love of you. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.