OREMUS: 1 December 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Nov 30 17:34:12 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Saturday, December 1, 2007
World AIDS Day

Blessed are you, God of life and health,
forever promising,
giving new dreams
and speaking new possibilities
giving your Spirit so all your children can breathe free.
In Jesus Christ, you have drawn close to us.
During this time of expectant waiting
inspire within our hearts a militant hope
so we can make visible the values of your kingdom,
the kingdom of your beloved son, our savior and brother.

As the deer longs for the water-brooks,*
 so longs my soul for you, O God.
My soul is athirst for God, athirst for the living God;*
 when shall I come to appear before the presence of God?
My tears have been my food day and night,*
 while all day long they say to me,
   'Where now is your God?'
I pour out my soul when I think on these things:*
 how I went with the multitude
   and led them into the house of God,
With the voice of praise and thanksgiving,*
 among those who keep holy-day.
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.
My soul is heavy within me;*
 therefore I will remember you from the land of Jordan,
   and from the peak of Mizar among the heights of Hermon.
One deep calls to another in the noise of your cataracts;*
 all your rapids and floods have gone over me.
The Lord grants his loving-kindness in the daytime;*
 in the night season his song is with me,
   a prayer to the God of my life.
I will say to the God of my strength,
   'Why have you forgotten me?*
 and why do I go so heavily
   while the enemy oppresses me?'
While my bones are being broken,*
 my enemies mock me to my face;
All day long they mock me*
 say to me, 'Where now is your God?'
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

Psalm 43

Give judgement for me, O God,
   and defend my cause against an ungodly people;*
 deliver me from the deceitful and the wicked.
For you are the God of my strength;
   why have you put me from you?*
 and why do I go so heavily
   while the enemy oppresses me?
Send out your light and your truth,
   that they may lead me,*
 and bring me to your holy hill
   and to your dwelling;
That I may go to the altar of God,
   to the God of my joy and gladness;*
 and on the harp I will give thanks to you,
   O God my God.
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

A Song of the Righteous (Wisdom 3:1,2a,3b-8)

The souls of the righteous are in the hand of God
 and no torment will ever touch them.

In the eyes of the foolish, they seem to have died;
 but they are at peace.

For though, in the sight of others, they were punished,
 their hope is of immortality.

Having been disciplined a little,
 they will receive great good,
 because God tested them and found them worthy.

Like gold in the furnace, God tried them
 and, like a sacrificial burnt offering, accepted them.

In the time of their visitation, they will shine forth
 and will run like sparks through the stubble.

They will govern nations and rule over peoples
 and God will reign over them for ever.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Romans 13:11-14]:

Besides this, you know what time it is, how it is now the moment for you to wake
from sleep. For salvation is nearer to us now than when we became believers; the night
is far gone, the day is near. Let us then lay aside the works of darkness and put on the
armour of light; let us live honourably as in the day, not in revelling and drunkenness,
not in debauchery and licentiousness, not in quarrelling and jealousy. Instead, put on
the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires.

HYMN
Words: Fred Pratt Green (c)
Tune: Angelus, Bow Brickhill, Daniel, Ely, Invercarry, Melcombe
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o043.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o
/o043.html

O Christ, the healer, we have come
to pray for health, to plead for friends.
How can we fail to be restored,
when reached by love that never ends?

>From every ailment flesh endures
our bodies clamor to be freed;
yet in our hearts we would confess
that wholeness is our deepest need.

How strong, O Lord, are our desires,
how weak our knowledge of ourselves!
Release in us those healing truths
unconscious pride resists or shelves.

In conflicts that destroy our health,
we diagnose the world's disease;
our common life declares our ills:
is there no cure, O Christ, for these?

Grant that we all, made one in faith,
in your community may find
the wholeness that, enriching us,
shall reach the whole of humankind.

SECOND READING [Matthew 24:36-44]:

Jesus said, 'About that day and hour no one knows, neither the angels of heaven, nor
the Son, but only the Father. For as the days of Noah were, so will be the coming of
the Son of Man. For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking,
marrying and giving in marriage, until the day Noah entered the ark, and they knew
nothing until the flood came and swept them all away, so too will be the coming of the
Son of Man. Then two will be in the field; one will be taken and one will be left. Two
women will be grinding meal together; one will be taken and one will be left. Keep
awake therefore, for you do not know on what day your Lord is coming. But
understand this: if the owner of the house had known in what part of the night the thief
was coming, he would have stayed awake and would not have let his house be broken
into. Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an unexpected
hour.

The Benedictus
(Morning),
the Magnificat
(Evening), or
Nunc dimittis
(Night) may follow.

Prayer:
We praise you, Holy One, for the gift of life,
precious, stubborn, fragile and beautiful;
We are grateful for the time we have to live upon the earth,
to love, to grow, to be.

We give thanks for the will to live
and for our capacity to live fully
all of the days that we are given;
 and for those who have taken
from the devastation of AIDS
the opportunity to build lives of wholeness.

We give you thanks for the partners,
friends, caregivers and families
who have been steadfast in their love;
for the people who have devoted their life's work
to the prevention, treatment and healing of HIV
with passion and commitment,

For the diligent science,
brilliant ideas and insights
that have led to new, life-giving treatments,
For the governments who have acted
to provide health care
for people living with HIV.

We give thanks for those whose prejudice and judgment
have yielded to understanding,
For those who have overcome fear,
indifference or burnout
to embrace a life of caring compassion.

We praise you, Eternal One,
for those who have loved enough
that their hearts have broken,
who cherish the memories of those we have lost,
and for those who console the grieving.

God, grant us the love, courage, tenacity, and will
to continue to make a difference in a world with HIV;
Inspire us to challenge the forces
that allow the needless spread of AIDS to continue --
prejudice, unjust laws, repression, prudery, stigma and fear.
Into your care we trust and lift up those who have contracted HIV.
We ask this in the Name of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

God of truth and justice,
watch over your people in adversity,
that we may know the wonders of your love
and see the glory of your presence;
through Jesus Christ our Savior. Amen.

- The Lord's Prayer

Lord, you have no other body than ours,
you have no other hands than ours,
Your only feet belong to us
And ours are the eyes that with your compassion look at the world.
Ours are the feet with which you walk around doing good
Ours are the hands with which we now bless.
Lord, here are our bodies, our whole lives. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from prayers used at the International
AIDS Conference in Ontario in 2006.

The intercession is adapted from a prayer from The Metropolitan Community
Church.