OREMUS: 29 November 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Nov 28 17:00:01 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Thursday, November 29, 2007

Blessed are you, God our Father,
for with the oil of gladness
you have anointed Christ the Lord, your only Son,
to be our great high priest and king of all creation.
As priest, he offered himself once for all upon the altar of the cross
and redeemed the human race by this perfect sacrifice of peace.
As king he claims dominion over all your creatures,
that he may bring before your infinite majesty
a kingdom of truth and life,
a kingdom of holiness and grace,
a kingdom of justice, love and peace.

Be joyful in the Lord, all you lands;*
 serve the Lord with gladness
   and come before his presence with a song.
Know this: The Lord himself is God;*
 he himself has made us and we are his;
   we are his people and the sheep of his pasture.
Enter his gates with thanksgiving;
   go into his courts with praise;*
 give thanks to him and call upon his name.
For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting;*
 and his faithfulness endures from age to age.

 before the gods I will sing your praise.
I will bow down towards your holy temple
   and praise your name,*
 because of your love and faithfulness;
For you have glorified your name*
 and your word above all things.
When I called, you answered me;*
 you increased my strength within me.
All the kings of the earth will praise you, O Lord,*
 when they have heard the words of your mouth.
They will sing of the ways of the Lord,*
 that great is the glory of the Lord.
Though the Lord be high, he cares for the lowly;*
 he perceives the haughty from afar.
Though I walk in the midst of trouble,
   you keep me safe;*
 you stretch forth your hand
   against the fury of my enemies;
   your right hand shall save me.
The Lord will make good his purpose for me;*
 O Lord, your love endures for ever;
   do not abandon the works of your hands.

A Song of the Holy City (Revelation 21.1-5a)

I saw a new heaven and a new earth,
for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away
and the sea was no more.
And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem,
coming down out of heaven from God,
prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
And I heard a great voice from the throne saying,
'Behold, the dwelling of God is among mortals.
'He will dwell with them and they shall be his peoples,
and God himself will be with them.
'He will wipe every tear from their eyes,
and death shall be no more.
'Neither shall there be mourning,
nor crying, nor pain any more,
for the former things have passed away.'
And the One who sat upon the throne said,
'Behold, I make all things new.'

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Daniel 6:6-27]:

So the presidents and satraps conspired and came to the king and said to him, 'O King
Darius, live for ever! All the presidents of the kingdom, the prefects and the satraps,
the counsellors and the governors, are agreed that the king should establish an
ordinance and enforce an interdict, that whoever prays to anyone, divine or human, for
thirty days, except to you, O king, shall be thrown into a den of lions. Now, O king,
establish the interdict and sign the document, so that it cannot be changed, according
to the law of the Medes and the Persians, which cannot be revoked.' Therefore King
Darius signed the document and interdict.
Although Daniel knew that the document had been signed, he continued to go to his
house, which had windows in its upper room open towards Jerusalem, and to get
down on his knees three times a day to pray to his God and praise him, just as he had
done previously. The conspirators came and found Daniel praying and seeking mercy
before his God. Then they approached the king and said concerning the interdict, 'O
king! Did you not sign an interdict, that anyone who prays to anyone, divine or human,
within thirty days except to you, O king, shall be thrown into a den of lions?' The king
answered, 'The thing stands fast, according to the law of the Medes and Persians,
which cannot be revoked.' Then they responded to the king, 'Daniel, one of the exiles
from Judah, pays no attention to you, O king, or to the interdict you have signed, but
he is saying his prayers three times a day.'
When the king heard the charge, he was very much distressed. He was determined to
save Daniel, and until the sun went down he made every effort to rescue him. Then the
conspirators came to the king and said to him, 'Know, O king, that it is a law of the
Medes and Persians that no interdict or ordinance that the king establishes can be
changed.'
Then the king gave the command, and Daniel was brought and thrown into the den of
lions. The king said to Daniel, 'May your God, whom you faithfully serve, deliver
you!' A stone was brought and laid on the mouth of the den, and the king sealed it
with his own signet and with the signet of his lords, so that nothing might be changed
concerning Daniel. Then the king went to his palace and spent the night fasting; no
food was brought to him, and sleep fled from him.
Then, at break of day, the king got up and hurried to the den of lions. When he came
near the den where Daniel was, he cried out anxiously to Daniel, 'O Daniel, servant of
the living God, has your God whom you faithfully serve been able to deliver you from
the lions?' Daniel then said to the king, 'O king, live for ever! My God sent his angel
and shut the lions' mouths so that they would not hurt me, because I was found
blameless before him; and also before you, O king, I have done no wrong.' Then the
king was exceedingly glad and commanded that Daniel be taken up out of the den. So
Daniel was taken up out of the den, and no kind of harm was found on him, because
he had trusted in his God. The king gave a command, and those who had accused
Daniel were brought and thrown into the den of lions they, their children, and their
wives. Before they reached the bottom of the den the lions overpowered them and
broke all their bones in pieces.
Then King Darius wrote to all peoples and nations of every language throughout the
whole world: 'May you have abundant prosperity! I make a decree, that in all my royal
dominion people should tremble and fear before the God of Daniel:
For he is the living God,
   enduring for ever.
His kingdom shall never be destroyed,
   and his dominion has no end.
He delivers and rescues,
   he works signs and wonders in heaven and on earth;
for he has saved Daniel
   from the power of the lions.'

HYMN
Words: Gilbert Keith Chesterton, 1906
Tune: King's Lynn

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o174.html

O God of earth and altar,
bow down and hear our cry,
our earthly rulers falter,
our people drift and die;
the walls of gold entomb us,
the swords of scorn divide,
take not thy thunder from us,
but take away our pride.

>From all that terror teaches,
from lies of tongue and pen,
from all the easy speeches
that comfort cruel men,
from sale and profanation
of honor, and the sword,
from sleep and from damnation,
deliver us, good Lord!

Tie in a living tether
the prince and priest and thrall,
bind all our lives together,
smite us and save us all;
in ire and exultation
aflame with faith, and free,
lift up a living nation,
a single sword to thee.

SECOND READING [Luke 21:20-28]:

Jesus said, 'When you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then know that its
desolation has come near. Then those in Judea must flee to the mountains, and those
inside the city must leave it, and those out in the country must not enter it; for these
are days of vengeance, as a fulfilment of all that is written. Woe to those who are
pregnant and to those who are nursing infants in those days! For there will be great
distress on the earth and wrath against this people; they will fall by the edge of the
sword and be taken away as captives among all nations; and Jerusalem will be
trampled on by the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.
'There will be signs in the sun, the moon, and the stars, and on the earth distress
among nations confused by the roaring of the sea and the waves. People will faint from
fear and foreboding of what is coming upon the world, for the powers of the heavens
will be shaken. Then they will see "the Son of Man coming in a cloud" with power and
great glory. Now when these things begin to take place, stand up and raise your heads,
because your redemption is drawing near.'

United in the company of all the faithful
and looking for the coming of the kingdom,
let us offer our prayers to God, the source of all life and holiness.

Bless all who minister in your Church,
that by faithful proclamation of your word
we may be built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets
into a holy temple in the Lord.
Lord, in your mercy.
Hear our prayer.

Give to the world and its peoples the peace that comes from above,
that they may find Christ's way of freedom and life.
Lord, in your mercy.
Hear our prayer.

Touch and heal all those whose lives are scarred by sin
or disfigured by pain,
that, raised from death to life in Christ,
their sorrow may be turned to eternal joy.
Lord, in your mercy.
Hear our prayer.

Hasten the day when many
will come from east and west, from north and south,
and sit at table in your kingdom.
Lord, in your mercy.
Hear our prayer.

Merciful Father,
accept these prayers
for the sake of your Son,
our Saviour Jesus Christ. Amen.

Lord our God, supreme over all things,
we ask you to look upon the humble and lowly,
to put new strength into our souls
and to complete your purpose for us,
in Christ Jesus our Lord. Amen.

May Christ our King make us faithful and strong to do his will,
that we may reign with him in glory; Amen.

_Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.