OREMUS: 27 November 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Nov 26 20:20:33 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Blessed are you, God our Father,
for with the oil of gladness
you have anointed Christ the Lord, your only Son,
to be our great high priest and king of all creation.
As priest, he offered himself once for all upon the altar of the cross
and redeemed the human race by this perfect sacrifice of peace.
As king he claims dominion over all your creatures,
that he may bring before your infinite majesty
a kingdom of truth and life,
a kingdom of holiness and grace,
a kingdom of justice, love and peace.

Behold now, bless the Lord,
   all you servants of the Lord,*
 you that stand by night in the house of the Lord.
Lift up your hands in the holy place
   and bless the Lord;*
 the Lord who made heaven and earth
   bless you out of Zion.

Psalm 145

I will exalt you, O God my King,*
 and bless your name for ever and ever.
Every day will I bless you*
 and praise your name for ever and ever.
Great is the Lord and greatly to be praised;*
 there is no end to his greatness.
One generation shall praise your works to another*
 and shall declare your power.
I will ponder the glorious splendour of your majesty*
 and all your marvellous works.
They shall speak of the might of your wondrous acts,*
 and I will tell of your greatness.
They shall publish the remembrance
   of your great goodness;*
 they shall sing of your righteous deeds.
The Lord is gracious and full of compassion,*
 slow to anger and of great kindness.
The Lord is loving to everyone*
 and his compassion is over all his works.
All your works praise you, O Lord,*
 and your faithful servants bless you.
They make known the glory of your kingdom*
 and speak of your power;
That the peoples may know of your power*
 and the glorious splendour of your kingdom.
Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom;*
 your dominion endures throughout all ages.
The Lord is faithful in all his words*
 and merciful in all his deeds.
The Lord upholds all those who fall;*
 he lifts up those who are bowed down.
The eyes of all wait upon you, O Lord,*
 and you give them their food in due season.
You open wide your hand*
 and satisfy the needs of every living creature.
The Lord is righteous in all his ways*
 and loving in all his works.
The Lord is near to those who call upon him,*
 to all who call upon him faithfully.
He fulfils the desire of those who fear him,*
 he hears their cry and helps them.
The Lord preserves all those who love him,*
 but he destroys all the wicked.
My mouth shall speak the praise of the Lord;*
 let all flesh bless his holy name for ever and ever.

A Song of the Redeemed (Revelation 7.9,10,14b-17)

Behold, a great multitude
which no one could number,
>From every nation,
from all tribes and peoples and tongues,
standing before the throne and the Lamb.
They were clothed in white robes
and had palms in their hands,
and they cried with a loud voice, saying,
'Salvation belongs to our God
who sits on the throne,
and to the Lamb.'
These are they
who have come out of the great tribulation,
they have washed their robes
and made them white in the blood of the Lamb;
Therefore they stand before the throne of God,
whom they serve day and night within the temple.
And the One who sits upon the throne .
will shelter them with his presence.
They shall never again feel hunger or thirst, .
the sun shall not strike them,
nor any scorching heat.
For the Lamb at the heart of the throne
will be their Shepherd,
He will guide them to springs of living water,
and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.

FIRST READING [Daniel 2:1-4, 10-13, 17-19, 24, 26-45]:

In the second year of Nebuchadnezzar's reign, Nebuchadnezzar dreamed such dreams
that his spirit was troubled and his sleep left him. So the king commanded that the
magicians, the enchanters, the sorcerers, and the Chaldeans be summoned to tell the
king his dreams. When they came in and stood before the king, he said to them, 'I have
had such a dream that my spirit is troubled by the desire to understand it.'
The Chaldeans answered the king, 'There is no one on earth who can reveal what the
king demands! In fact no king, however great and powerful, has ever asked such a
thing of any magician or enchanter or Chaldean. The thing that the king is asking is too
difficult, and no one can reveal it to the king except the gods, whose dwelling is not
with mortals.'
Because of this the king flew into a violent rage and commanded that all the wise men
of Babylon be destroyed. The decree was issued, and the wise men were about to be
executed; and they looked for Daniel and his companions, to execute them.
Then Daniel went to his home and informed his companions, Hananiah, Mishael, and
Azariah, and told them to seek mercy from the God of heaven concerning this mystery,
so that Daniel and his companions with the rest of the wise men of Babylon might not
perish. Then the mystery was revealed to Daniel in a vision of the night, and Daniel
blessed the God of heaven.
Therefore Daniel went to Arioch, whom the king had appointed to destroy the wise
men of Babylon, and said to him, 'Do not destroy the wise men of Babylon; bring me
in before the king, and I will give the king the interpretation.' The king said to Daniel,
whose name was Belteshazzar, 'Are you able to tell me the dream that I have seen and
its interpretation?' Daniel answered the king, 'No wise men, enchanters, magicians, or
diviners can show to the king the mystery that the king is asking, but there is a God in
heaven who reveals mysteries, and he has disclosed to King Nebuchadnezzar what will
happen at the end of days. Your dream and the visions of your head as you lay in bed
were these: To you, O king, as you lay in bed, came thoughts of what would be
hereafter, and the revealer of mysteries disclosed to you what is to be. But as for me,
this mystery has not been revealed to me because of any wisdom that I have more than
any other living being, but in order that the interpretation may be known to the king
and that you may understand the thoughts of your mind.
'You were looking, O king, and lo! there was a great statue. This statue was huge, its
brilliance extraordinary; it was standing before you, and its appearance was
frightening. The head of that statue was of fine gold, its chest and arms of silver, its
middle and thighs of bronze, its legs of iron, its feet partly of iron and partly of clay.
As you looked on, a stone was cut out, not by human hands, and it struck the statue
on its feet of iron and clay and broke them in pieces. Then the iron, the clay, the
bronze, the silver, and the gold, were all broken in pieces and became like the chaff of
the summer threshing-floors; and the wind carried them away, so that not a trace of
them could be found. But the stone that struck the statue became a great mountain and
filled the whole earth.
'This was the dream; now we will tell the king its interpretation. You, O king, the king
of kings to whom the God of heaven has given the kingdom, the power, the might,
and the glory, into whose hand he has given human beings, wherever they live, the
wild animals of the field, and the birds of the air, and whom he has established as ruler
over them all you are the head of gold. After you shall arise another kingdom inferior
to yours, and yet a third kingdom of bronze, which shall rule over the whole earth.
And there shall be a fourth kingdom, strong as iron; just as iron crushes and smashes
everything, it shall crush and shatter all these. As you saw the feet and toes partly of
potter's clay and partly of iron, it shall be a divided kingdom; but some of the strength
of iron shall be in it, as you saw the iron mixed with the clay. As the toes of the feet
were part iron and part clay, so the kingdom shall be partly strong and partly brittle.
As you saw the iron mixed with clay, so will they mix with one another in marriage,
but they will not hold together, just as iron does not mix with clay. And in the days of
those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that shall never be destroyed, nor
shall this kingdom be left to another people. It shall crush all these kingdoms and bring
them to an end, and it shall stand for ever; just as you saw that a stone was cut from
the mountain not by hands, and that it crushed the iron, the bronze, the clay, the silver,
and the gold. The great God has informed the king what shall be hereafter. The dream
is certain, and its interpretation trustworthy.'

HYMN
Words: Lewis Hensley, 1867
Tune: St. Cecilia

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t686.html

Thy kingdom come, O God!
Thy rule, O Christ begin!
Break with thine iron rod
the tyrannies of sin!

Where is thy reign of peace,
and purity and love?
When shall all hatred cease,
as in the realms above?

When comes the promised time
that war shall be no more,
oppression, lust, and crime
shall flee thy face before?

We pray thee, Lord, arise,
and come in thy great might;
revive our longing eyes,
which languish for thy sight.

SECOND READING [Luke 21:5-9]:

When some were speaking about the temple, how it was adorned with beautiful stones
and gifts dedicated to God, Jesus said, 'As for these things that you see, the days will
come when not one stone will be left upon another; all will be thrown down.'
They asked him, 'Teacher, when will this be, and what will be the sign that this is
about to take place?' And he said, 'Beware that you are not led astray; for many will
come in my name and say, "I am he!" and, "The time is near!" Do not go after
them.
'When you hear of wars and insurrections, do not be terrified; for these things must
take place first, but the end will not follow immediately.'

Jesus our exalted Lord has been given all authority.
Let us seek his intercession that our prayers may be perfected by his prayer.

Jesus Christ, great high priest, living for ever to intercede for us:
pray for your Church, your broken body in the world
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, king of righteousness,
enthroned at the right hand of the majesty on high:
pray for the world, and make it subject to your gentle rule
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, Son of Man, drawing humanity into the life of God:
pray for your bothers and sisters in need, distress or sorrow
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, pioneer of our salvation,
bringing us to your glory through your death and resurrection:
receive into your kingdom those who have died trusting in your promises
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, Lord of all things,
ascended far above from the heavens and filling the universe:
pray for us who receive the gifts you give us for work in your service
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ,
keep the Church in the unity of the Spirit
and in the bond of peace,
and bring the whole created order to worship at your feet;
for you are alive and reign with the Father and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever. Amen.

Lord God, King of the Universe,
you show the bright glory of your reign
in acts of mercy and enduring love:
raise the spirits of the downcast
and restore those who have fallen away,
that your Church may continually sing of your saving help;

May Christ our King make us faithful and strong to do his will,
that we may reign with him in glory; Amen.

_Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.