OREMUS: 26 November 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Nov 25 17:00:01 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Monday, November 26, 2007

Blessed are you, God our Father,
for with the oil of gladness
you have anointed Christ the Lord, your only Son,
to be our great high priest and king of all creation.
As priest, he offered himself once for all upon the altar of the cross
and redeemed the human race by this perfect sacrifice of peace.
As king he claims dominion over all your creatures,
that he may bring before your infinite majesty
a kingdom of truth and life,
a kingdom of holiness and grace,
a kingdom of justice, love and peace.

If the Lord had not been on our side,*
 let Israel now say;
If the Lord had not been on our side,*
 when enemies rose up against us;
Then would they have swallowed us up alive*
 in their fierce anger towards us;
Then would the waters have overwhelmed us*
 and the torrent gone over us;
Then would the raging waters*
 have gone right over us.
Blessed be the Lord!*
 he has not given us over to be a prey for their teeth.
We have escaped like a bird
   from the snare of the fowler;*
 the snare is broken and we have escaped.
Our help is in the name of the Lord,*
 the maker of heaven and earth.

Psalm 144

Blessed be the Lord my rock!*
 who trains my hands to fight and my fingers to battle;
My help and my fortress,
   my stronghold and my deliverer,*
 my shield in whom I trust,
   who subdues the peoples under me.
O Lord, what are we that you should care for us?*
 mere mortals that you should think of us?
We are like a puff of wind;*
 our days are like a passing shadow.
Bow your heavens, O Lord, and come down;*
 touch the mountains and they shall smoke.
Hurl the lightning and scatter them;*
 shoot out your arrows and rout them.
Stretch out your hand from on high;*
 rescue me and deliver me from the great waters,
   from the hand of foreign peoples,
Whose mouths speak deceitfully*
 and whose right hand is raised in falsehood.
O God, I will sing to you a new song;*
 I will play to you on a ten-stringed lyre.
You give victory to kings*
 and have rescued David your servant.
Rescue me from the hurtful sword*
 and deliver me from the hand of foreign peoples,
Whose mouths speak deceitfully*
 and whose right hand is raised in falsehood.
May our sons be like plants
   well nurtured from their youth,*
 and our daughters like sculptured corners of a palace.
May our barns be filled to overflowing*
 with all manner of crops;
May the flocks in our pastures
   increase by thousands and tens of thousands;*
 may our cattle be fat and sleek.
May there be no breaching of the walls,
   no going into exile,*
 no wailing in the public squares.
Happy are the people of whom this is so!*
 happy are the people whose God is the Lord!

A Song of Tobit (Tobit 13.1,3,4-6a)
Blessed be God, who lives for ever,
whose reign endures throughout all ages.
Declare God's praise before the nations,
you who are the children of Israel.
For if our God has scattered you among them,
there too has he shown you his greatness.
Exalt him in the sight of the living,
because he is our Lord and God and our Father for ever.
Though God punishes you for your wickedness,
mercy will be shown to you all.
God will gather you from every nation,
from wherever you have been scattered.
When you turn to the Lord
with all your heart and soul,
God will hide his face from you no more.
See what the Lord has done for you
and give thanks with a loud voice.
Praise the Lord of righteousness
and exalt the King of the ages.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Daniel 1:1-20]:

In the third year of the reign of King Jehoiakim of Judah, King Nebuchadnezzar of
Babylon came to Jerusalem and besieged it. The Lord let King Jehoiakim of Judah fall
into his power, as well as some of the vessels of the house of God. These he brought
to the land of Shinar, and placed the vessels in the treasury of his gods.
Then the king commanded his palace master Ashpenaz to bring some of the Israelites
of the royal family and of the nobility, young men without physical defect and
handsome, versed in every branch of wisdom, endowed with knowledge and insight,
and competent to serve in the king's palace; they were to be taught the literature and
language of the Chaldeans. The king assigned them a daily portion of the royal rations
of food and wine. They were to be educated for three years, so that at the end of that
time they could be stationed in the king's court. Among them were Daniel, Hananiah,
Mishael, and Azariah, from the tribe of Judah. The palace master gave them other
names: Daniel he called Belteshazzar, Hananiah he called Shadrach, Mishael he called
Meshach, and Azariah he called Abednego.
But Daniel resolved that he would not defile himself with the royal rations of food and
wine; so he asked the palace master to allow him not to defile himself. Now God
allowed Daniel to receive favour and compassion from the palace master. The palace
master said to Daniel, 'I am afraid of my lord the king; he has appointed your food and
your drink. If he should see you in poorer condition than the other young men of your
own age, you would endanger my head with the king.' Then Daniel asked the guard
whom the palace master had appointed over Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah:
'Please test your servants for ten days. Let us be given vegetables to eat and water to
drink. You can then compare our appearance with the appearance of the young men
who eat the royal rations, and deal with your servants according to what you observe.'
So he agreed to this proposal and tested them for ten days. At the end of ten days it
was observed that they appeared better and fatter than all the young men who had
been eating the royal rations. So the guard continued to withdraw their royal rations
and the wine they were to drink, and gave them vegetables. To these four young men
God gave knowledge and skill in every aspect of literature and wisdom; Daniel also
had insight into all visions and dreams.
At the end of the time that the king had set for them to be brought in, the palace
master brought them into the presence of Nebuchadnezzar, and the king spoke with
them. And among them all, no one was found to compare with Daniel, Hananiah,
Mishael, and Azariah; therefore they were stationed in the king's court. In every
matter of wisdom and understanding concerning which the king inquired of them, he
found them ten times better than all the magicians and enchanters in his whole
kingdom.

HYMN
Words: Frances Ridley Havergal, 1874
Tune: Mozart, Hollingside

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t007.html

Take my life, and let it be
consecrated, Lord, to thee;
take my moments and my days,
let them flow in ceaseless praise.

Take my hands, and let them move
at the impulse of thy love;
take my feet, and let them be
swift and beautiful for thee.

Take my voice, and let me sing
always, only, for my King;
take my lips, and let them be
filled with messages from thee.

Take my silver and my gold,
not a mite would I withhold;
take my intellect, and use
every power as thou shalt choose.

Take my will and make it thine;
it shall be no longer mine.
take my heart, it is thine own;
it shall be thy royal throne.

Take my love; my Lord, I pour
at thy feet its treasure store;
take my self, and I will be
ever, only, all for thee.

SECOND READING [Luke 21:1-4]:

Jesus looked up and saw rich people putting their gifts into the treasury; he also saw a
poor widow put in two small copper coins. He said, 'Truly I tell you, this poor widow
has put in more than all of them; for all of them have contributed out of their
abundance, but she out of her poverty has put in all she had to live on.'

We pray for the coming of God's kingdom.

You sent your Son to bring news to the poor,
sight to the blind, freedom to captives
and salvation to your people:
anoint us with your Spirit;
rouse us to work in his name:
Father, by your Spirit
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to bring help to the poor and freedom to the oppressed:
Father, by your Spirit
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to tell the world the good news of your healing love:
Father, by your Spirit
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to those who mourn
to bring joy and gladness instead of grief:
Father, by your Spirit
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to proclaim that the time is here
for you to save your people:
Father, by your Spirit
bring in your kingdom.

Lord of the Church
hear our prayer,
and make us one in mind and heart
to serve you in Christ our Lord. Amen.

God, maker of heaven and earth,
you save us in the water of baptism
and by the suffering of your Son you set us free:
help us to put our trust in his victory
and to know that there is salvation
only in the name of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

May Christ our King make us faithful and strong to do his will,
that we may reign with him in glory; Amen.

_Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.