OREMUS: 25 November 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Nov 24 17:00:01 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Sunday, November 25, 2007
The Last Sunday after Pentecost
[Christ the King]

Blessed are you, God our Father,
for with the oil of gladness
you have anointed Christ the Lord, your only Son,
to be our great high priest and king of all creation.
As priest, he offered himself once for all upon the altar of the cross
and redeemed the human race by this perfect sacrifice of peace.
As king he claims dominion over all your creatures,
that he may bring before your infinite majesty
a kingdom of truth and life,
a kingdom of holiness and grace,
a kingdom of justice, love and peace.

The Lord is king; he has put on splendid apparel;*
 the Lord has put on his apparel
   and girded himself with strength.
He has made the whole world so sure*
 that it cannot be moved;
Ever since the world began,
   your throne has been established;*
 you are from everlasting.
The waters have lifted up, O Lord,
   the waters have lifted up their voice;*
 the waters have lifted up their pounding waves.
Mightier than the sound of many waters,
   mightier than the breakers of the sea,*
 mightier is the Lord who dwells on high.
Your testimonies are very sure,*
 and holiness adorns your house, O Lord,
   for ever and for evermore.

Psalm 103

Bless the Lord, O my soul,*
 and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul,*
 and forget not all his benefits.
He forgives all your sins*
 and heals all your infirmities;
He redeems your life from the grave*
 and crowns you with mercy and loving-kindness;
He satisfies you with good things,*
 and your youth is renewed like an eagle's.
The Lord executes righteousness*
 and judgement for all who are oppressed.
He made his ways known to Moses*
 and his works to the children of Israel.
The Lord is full of compassion and mercy,*
 slow to anger and of great kindness.
He will not always accuse us,*
 nor will he keep his anger for ever.
He has not dealt with us according to our sins,*
 nor rewarded us according to our wickedness.
For as the heavens are high above the earth,*
 so is his mercy great upon those who fear him.
As far as the east is from the west,*
 so far has he removed our sins from us.
As a father cares for his children,*
 so does the Lord care for those who fear him.
For he himself knows whereof we are made;*
 he remembers that we are but dust.
Our days are like the grass;*
 we flourish like a flower of the field;
When the wind goes over it, it is gone,*
 and its place shall know it no more.
But the merciful goodness of the Lord
   endures for ever on those who fear him,*
 and his righteousness on children's children;
On those who keep his covenant*
 and remember his commandments and do them.
The Lord has set his throne in heaven,*
 and his kingship has dominion over all.
Bless the Lord, you angels of his,
   you mighty ones who do his bidding,*
 and hearken to the voice of his word.
Bless the Lord, all you his hosts,*
 you ministers of his who do his will.
Bless the Lord, all you works of his,
   in all places of his dominion;*
 bless the Lord, O my soul.

A Song of Praise (Revelation 4.11; 5.9b,10)

You are worthy, our Lord and God,
to receive glory and honour and power.
For you have created all things,
and by your will they have their being.
You are worthy, O Lamb, for you were slain,
and by your blood you ransomed for God
saints from every tribe and language and nation.
You have made them to be a kingdom and priests
serving our God,
and they will reign with you on earth.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [1 Samuel 8:4-20]:

Then all the elders of Israel gathered together and came to Samuel at Ramah, and said
to him, 'You are old and your sons do not follow in your ways; appoint for us, then, a
king to govern us, like other nations.' But the thing displeased Samuel when they said,
'Give us a king to govern us.' Samuel prayed to the Lord, and the Lord said to
Samuel, 'Listen to the voice of the people in all that they say to you; for they have not
rejected you, but they have rejected me from being king over them. Just as they have
done to me, from the day I brought them up out of Egypt to this day, forsaking me
and serving other gods, so also they are doing to you. Now then, listen to their voice;
only you shall solemnly warn them, and show them the ways of the king who shall
reign over them.'
So Samuel reported all the words of the Lord to the people who were asking him for a
king. He said, 'These will be the ways of the king who will reign over you: he will take
your sons and appoint them to his chariots and to be his horsemen, and to run before
his chariots; and he will appoint for himself commanders of thousands and
commanders of fifties, and some to plough his ground and to reap his harvest, and to
make his implements of war and the equipment of his chariots. He will take your
daughters to be perfumers and cooks and bakers. He will take the best of your fields
and vineyards and olive orchards and give them to his courtiers. He will take one-tenth
of your grain and of your vineyards and give it to his officers and his courtiers. He will
take your male and female slaves, and the best of your cattle and donkeys, and put
them to his work. He will take one-tenth of your flocks, and you shall be his slaves.
And in that day you will cry out because of your king, whom you have chosen for
yourselves; but the Lord will not answer you in that day.'
But the people refused to listen to the voice of Samuel; they said, 'No! but we are
determined to have a king over us, so that we also may be like other nations, and that
our king may govern us and go out before us and fight our battles.'

HYMN
Words: Rusty Edwards (c)
Tune: Nettleton

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/p/p090.html

Praise the one who breaks the darkness
with a liberating light.
Praise the one who frees the prisoners,
turning blindness into sight.
Praise the one who preached the Gospel,
healing every dread disease,
calming storms and feeding thousands
with the very bread of peace.

Praise the one who blessed the children
with a strong yet gentle word.
Praise the one who drove out demons
with a piercing two-edged sword.
Praise the one who brings cool water
to the desert's burning sand.
>From this well comes living water,
quenching thirst in every land.

Praise the one true love incarnate:
Christ who suffered in our place.
Jesus died and rose for many
that we may know God by grace.
Let us sing for joy and gladness,
seeing what our God has done.
Praise the one redeeming glory,
praise the One who makes us one.

SECOND READING [John 18:33-37]:

Pilate entered the headquarters again, summoned Jesus, and asked him, 'Are you the
King of the Jews?' Jesus answered, 'Do you ask this on your own, or did others tell
you about me?' Pilate replied, 'I am not a Jew, am I? Your own nation and the chief
priests have handed you over to me. What have you done?' Jesus answered, 'My
kingdom is not from this world. If my kingdom were from this world, my followers
would be fighting to keep me from being handed over to the Jews. But as it is, my
kingdom is not from here.' Pilate asked him, 'So you are a king?' Jesus answered,
'You say that I am a king. For this I was born, and for this I came into the world, to
testify to the truth. Everyone who belongs to the truth listens to my voice.'

Knowing our God as the Shepherd King,
we turn to prayer for our own needs and those of all people:

You have gathered us into a people to call your own.
May our leaders who shepherd in your name,
bishops, priests, deacons, and lay ministers and leaders,
be gifted with your wisdom and justice.
Shepherd us, O God, from death to life.

The nations long to be guided in the paths of righteousness.
Give politicians and civil servants renewed vision and energy
for their work of preparing and implementing policies
for the welfare of all citizens.
Shepherd us, O God, from death to life.

You have charged us with the care
of the hungry, the stranger, the naked, the sick, the prisoner.
Open our eyes to see you in those without any other hope.
Shepherd us, O God, from death to life.

Help us to remind the sick and the dying
of the glorious hope to which we are called.
Comfort and heal them according to your great wisdom and mercy.
Shepherd us, O God, from death to life.

Prepare us for the day when the Son of Man
comes in glory with all his angels.
May we be ready to welcome him with our lamps burning.
Shepherd us, O God, from death to life.

God is good and God's mercy is everlasting.
In that sure and certain knowledge
we commend ourselves and all for who me pray to that eternal mercy:
Shepherd us, O God, from death to life.

You have established your throne, O Lord,
above the chaos of this world:
may your truth, which is from everlasting,
be ours for ever and ever;

May Christ our King make us faithful and strong to do his will,
that we may reign with him in glory; Amen.

_Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

Hymn (c) 1987 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
For permission to reproduce this hymn, contact:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com