OREMUS: 24 November 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Nov 23 17:00:01 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Saturday, November 24, 2007

Blessed are you, ever-living God,
the hope of the nations,
the builder of the city that is to come.
our love made visible in Jesus Christ
brings home the lost,
restores the sinner
and gives dignity to the despised.
In his face your light shines out,
flooding lives with goodness and truth,
gathering into one in your kingdom
a divided and broken humanity.

Happy are they all who fear the Lord,*
 and who follow in his ways!
You shall eat the fruit of your labour;*
 happiness and prosperity shall be yours.
Your wife shall be like a fruitful vine
   within your house,*
 your children like olive shoots round about your table.
Whoever fears the Lord*
 shall thus indeed be blessed.
The Lord bless you from Zion,*
 and may you see the prosperity of Jerusalem
   all the days of your life.
May you live to see your children's children;*
 may peace be upon Israel.

 for his mercy endures for ever.
Give thanks to the God of gods,*
 for his mercy endures for ever.
Give thanks to the Lord of lords,*
 for his mercy endures for ever.
Who only does great wonders,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Who by his wisdom made the heavens,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Who spread out the earth upon the waters,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Who created great lights,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
The sun to rule the day,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
The moon and the stars to govern the night,*
 for his mercy endures for ever.
Who struck down the first-born of Egypt,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
And brought out Israel from among them,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
With a mighty hand and a stretched-out arm,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Who divided the Red Sea in two,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
And made Israel to pass through the midst of it,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
But swept Pharaoh and his army into the Red Sea,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Who led his people through the wilderness,*
 for his mercy endures for ever.
Who struck down great kings,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
And slew mighty kings,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Sihon, king of the Amorites,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
And Og, the king of Bashan,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
And gave away their lands for an inheritance,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
An inheritance for Israel his servant,*
 for his mercy endures for ever.
Who remembered us in our low estate,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
And delivered us from our enemies,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Who gives food to all creatures,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Give thanks to the God of heaven,*
 for his mercy endures for ever.

A Song of Wisdom (Wisdom 9.1-5a,c,6,9-11)
O God of our ancestors and Lord of mercy,
you have made all things by your word.
By your wisdom you have formed us
to have dominion over the creatures you have made;
To rule the world in holiness and righteousness
and to pronounce judgement in uprightness of soul.
Give us the Wisdom that sits by your throne;
do not reject us from among your servants,
For we are your servants,
with little understanding of judgement and laws.
Even one who is perfect among us
will be regarded as nothing
without the wisdom that comes from you.
With you is Wisdom, she who knows your works,
and was present when you made the world.
She understands what is pleasing in your sight
and what is right according to your commandments.
Send her forth from the holy heavens,
from the throne of your glory send her.
That she may labour at our side
and that we may learn what is pleasing to you.
For she knows and understands all things,
she will guide us wisely in our actions
and guard us with her glory.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [1 Maccabees 6:1-13]:

King Antiochus was going through the upper provinces when he heard that Elymais in
Persia was a city famed for its wealth in silver and gold. Its temple was very rich,
containing golden shields, breastplates, and weapons left there by Alexander son of
Philip, the Macedonian king who first reigned over the Greeks. So he came and tried
to take the city and plunder it, but he could not because his plan had become known to
the citizens and they withstood him in battle. So he fled and in great disappointment
left there to return to Babylon.
Then someone came to him in Persia and reported that the armies that had gone into
the land of Judah had been routed; that Lysias had gone first with a strong force, but
had turned and fled before the Jews; that the Jews had grown strong from the arms,
supplies, and abundant spoils that they had taken from the armies they had cut down;
that they had torn down the abomination that he had erected on the altar in Jerusalem;
and that they had surrounded the sanctuary with high walls as before, and also
Beth-zur, his town.
When the king heard this news, he was astounded and badly shaken. He took to his
bed and became sick from disappointment, because things had not turned out for him
as he had planned. He lay there for many days, because deep disappointment
continually gripped him, and he realized that he was dying. So he called all his Friends
and said to them, 'Sleep has departed from my eyes and I am downhearted with worry.
I said to myself, "To what distress I have come! And into what a great flood I now am
plunged! For I was kind and beloved in my power." But now I remember the wrong I
did in Jerusalem. I seized all its vessels of silver and gold, and I sent to destroy the
inhabitants of Judah without good reason. I know that it is because of this that these
misfortunes have come upon me; here I am, perishing of bitter disappointment in a
strange land.'

HYMN
Words: Words: Edmond Budry (1854-1932), 1884;
trans. Richard Hoyle (1875-1939), 1923; (c) 1925.
Tune: Maccabeus

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t514.html

Thine be the glory, risen, conquering Son;
endless is the victory, thou o'er death hast won;
angels in bright raiment rolled the stone away,
kept the folded grave clothes where thy body lay.
Refrain:
Thine be the glory, risen conquering Son,
Endless is the vict'ry, thou o'er death hast won.

Lo! Jesus meets us, risen from the tomb;
Lovingly he greets us, scatters fear and gloom;
let the Church with gladness, hymns of triumph sing;
for her Lord now liveth, death hath lost its sting. Refrain

No more we doubt thee, glorious Prince of life;
life is naught without thee; aid us in our strife;
make us more than conquerors, through thy deathless love:
bring us safe through Jordan to thy home above. Refrain

SECOND READING [Luke 20:27-40]:

Some Sadducees, those who say there is no resurrection, came to him and asked him a
question, 'Teacher, Moses wrote for us that if a man's brother dies, leaving a wife but
no children, the man shall marry the widow and raise up children for his brother. Now
there were seven brothers; the first married, and died childless; then the second and the
third married her, and so in the same way all seven died childless. Finally the woman
also died. In the resurrection, therefore, whose wife will the woman be? For the seven
had married her.'
Jesus said to them, 'Those who belong to this age marry and are given in marriage; but
those who are considered worthy of a place in that age and in the resurrection from the
dead neither marry nor are given in marriage. Indeed they cannot die any more,
because they are like angels and are children of God, being children of the
resurrection. And the fact that the dead are raised Moses himself showed, in the story
about the bush, where he speaks of the Lord as the God of Abraham, the God of
Isaac, and the God of Jacob. Now he is God not of the dead, but of the living; for to
him all of them are alive.' Then some of the scribes answered, 'Teacher, you have
spoken well.' For they no longer dared to ask him another question.

United in the company of all the faithful
and looking for the coming of the kingdom,
let us offer our prayers to God, the source of all life and holiness.

Merciful Lord,
strengthen all Christian people by your Holy Spirit
that we may live as a royal priesthood
and a holy nation to the praise of Christ Jesus our Saviour.
Lord, have mercy.

Bless N our bishop, and all ministers of your Church,
that by faithful proclamation of your word we may be built
on the foundation of the apostles and prophets
into a holy temple in the Lord.
Lord, have mercy.

Empower us by the gift of your Holy and Life-giving Spirit
that we may be transformed into the likeness of Christ
from glory to glory.
Lord, have mercy.

Give to the world and its peoples the peace
that comes from above, that they may find Christ's way of freedom and life.
Lord, have mercy.

Hold in your embrace all who witness to your love
in the service of the poor and needy;
all those who minister to the sick and dying;
and all who bring light to those in darkness.
Lord, have mercy.

Touch and heal all those whose lives are scarred by sin
or disfigured by pain, that, raised from death to life in Christ,
their sorrow may be turned to eternal joy.
Lord, have mercy.

Remember in your mercy those gone before us
who have been well-pleasing to you from eternity;
preserve us who live here in your faith,
guide us to your kingdom,
and grant us your peace at all times.
Lord, have mercy.

Hasten the day when those who fear you in every nation
will come from east and west, from north and south,
and sit at table in your kingdom.
Lord, have mercy.

And so we give you thanks for the whole company
of your saints in glory,
with whom in fellowship we join our prayers and praises;
by your grace may we, like them, be made perfect in your love.
Blessing and glory and wisdom,
thanksgiving and honour and power,
be to our God for ever and ever. Amen.

Most-loving God,
your mercy is from everlasting to everlasting.
Enable us so to trust you,
that grounded in you
we may live with serene trust.
May we look at change and chance without dismay,
seeing in every moment the opportunity
for the exercise of resilient faith and tenacious love.
Through Jesus Christ,
the bringer of the new heaven and new earth.Amen.

May Christ who makes saints of sinners,
and who has transformed those who have gone before us,
raise and strengthen us that we may transform the world. Amen.

_Common Worship: Times and Seasons (draft)_, material from which is
included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2004.

Hymn (c) 1925. World Student Christian Federation. All rights reserved. Used with
permission.

The intercession is from _Common Worship: Times and Seasons (draft)_,
material from which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops'
Council, 2004.

The collect is by Bruce Prewer.