OREMUS: 18 November 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Nov 17 17:00:01 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Sunday, November 18, 2007
The Twenty-fifth Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, ever-living God,
the hope of the nations,
the builder of the city that is to come.
our love made visible in Jesus Christ
brings home the lost,
restores the sinner
and gives dignity to the despised.
In his face your light shines out,
flooding lives with goodness and truth,
gathering into one in your kingdom
a divided and broken humanity.

Happy are they whose transgressions are forgiven,*
 and whose sin is put away!
Happy are they to whom the Lord imputes no guilt,*
 and in whose spirit there is no guile!
While I held my tongue, my bones withered away,*
 because of my groaning all day long.
For your hand was heavy upon me day and night;*
 my moisture was dried up as in the heat of summer.
Then I acknowledged my sin to you,*
 and did not conceal my guilt.
I said, 'I will confess my transgressions to the Lord';*
 then you forgave me the guilt of my sin.
Therefore all the faithful will make their prayers to you
   in time of trouble;*
 when the great waters overflow, they shall not reach them.
You are my hiding-place;
   you preserve me from trouble;*
 you surround me with shouts of deliverance.
'I will instruct you and teach you
   in the way that you should go;*
 I will guide you with my eye.
'Do not be like horse or mule,
   which have no understanding;*
 who must be fitted with bit and bridle,
   or else they will not stay near you.'
Great are the tribulations of the wicked;*
 but mercy embraces those who trust in the Lord.
Be glad, you righteous, and rejoice in the Lord;*
 shout for joy, all who are true of heart.

Psalm 98

Sing to the Lord a new song,*
 for he has done marvellous things.
With his right hand and his holy arm*
 has he won for himself the victory.
The Lord has made known his victory;*
 his righteousness has he openly shown
   in the sight of the nations.
He remembers his mercy and faithfulness
   to the house of Israel,*
 and all the ends of the earth have seen
   the victory of our God.
Shout with joy to the Lord, all you lands;*
 lift up your voice, rejoice and sing.
Sing to the Lord with the harp,*
 with the harp and the voice of song.
With trumpets and the sound of the horn*
 shout with joy before the King, the Lord.
Let the sea make a noise and all that is in it,*
 the lands and those who dwell therein.
Let the rivers clap their hands,*
 and let the hills ring out with joy before the Lord,
   when he comes to judge the earth.
In righteousness shall he judge the world,*
 and the peoples with equity.

A Song of God's Assembled (Hebrews 12.22-24a,28,29)

We have come before God's holy mountain,
to the heavenly Jerusalem, the city of the living God.
We have come before countless angels making festival,
before the assembly of the firstborn citizens of heaven.
We have come before God, who is judge of all,
before the spirits of the just made perfect.
We have come before Jesus,
the mediator of the new covenant.
We are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken:
so let us give thanks and offer to God acceptable worship,
Full of reverence and awe;
for our God is a consuming fire.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Daniel 6]:

It pleased Darius to set over the kingdom one hundred and
twenty satraps, stationed throughout the whole kingdom,
and over them three presidents, including Daniel; to
these the satraps gave account, so that the king might
suffer no loss. Soon Daniel distinguished himself above
all the other presidents and satraps because an excellent
spirit was in him, and the king planned to appoint him
over the whole kingdom. So the presidents and the satraps
tried to find grounds for complaint against Daniel in
connection with the kingdom. But they could find no
grounds for complaint or any corruption, because he was
faithful, and no negligence or corruption could be found
in him. The men said, 'We shall not find any ground for
complaint against this Daniel unless we find it in
connection with the law of his God.'

So the presidents and satraps conspired and came to the
king and said to him, 'O King Darius, live for ever! All
the presidents of the kingdom, the prefects and the
satraps, the counsellors and the governors, are agreed
that the king should establish an ordinance and enforce
an interdict, that whoever prays to anyone, divine or
human, for thirty days, except to you, O king, shall be
thrown into a den of lions. Now, O king, establish the
interdict and sign the document, so that it cannot be
changed, according to the law of the Medes and the
Persians, which cannot be revoked.' Therefore King Darius
signed the document and interdict.

Although Daniel knew that the document had been signed,
he continued to go to his house, which had windows in its
upper room open towards Jerusalem, and to get down on his
knees three times a day to pray to his God and praise
him, just as he had done previously. The conspirators
came and found Daniel praying and seeking mercy before
his God. Then they approached the king and said
concerning the interdict, 'O king! Did you not sign an
interdict, that anyone who prays to anyone, divine or
human, within thirty days except to you, O king, shall be
thrown into a den of lions?' The king answered, 'The
thing stands fast, according to the law of the Medes and
Persians, which cannot be revoked.' Then they responded
to the king, 'Daniel, one of the exiles from Judah, pays
no attention to you, O king, or to the interdict you have
signed, but he is saying his prayers three times a day.'

When the king heard the charge, he was very much
distressed. He was determined to save Daniel, and until
the sun went down he made every effort to rescue him.
Then the conspirators came to the king and said to him,
'Know, O king, that it is a law of the Medes and Persians
that no interdict or ordinance that the king establishes
can be changed.'

Then the king gave the command, and Daniel was brought
and thrown into the den of lions. The king said to
Daniel, 'May your God, whom you faithfully serve, deliver
you!' A stone was brought and laid on the mouth of the
den, and the king sealed it with his own signet and with
the signet of his lords, so that nothing might be changed
concerning Daniel. Then the king went to his palace and
spent the night fasting; no food was brought to him, and
sleep fled from him.

Then, at break of day, the king got up and hurried to the
den of lions. When he came near the den where Daniel was,
he cried out anxiously to Daniel, 'O Daniel, servant of
the living God, has your God whom you faithfully serve
been able to deliver you from the lions?' Daniel then
said to the king, 'O king, live for ever! My God sent his
angel and shut the lions' mouths so that they would not
hurt me, because I was found blameless before him; and
also before you, O king, I have done no wrong.' Then the
king was exceedingly glad and commanded that Daniel be
taken up out of the den. So Daniel was taken up out of
the den, and no kind of harm was found on him, because he
had trusted in his God. The king gave a command, and
those who had accused Daniel were brought and thrown into
the den of lions they, their children, and their wives.
Before they reached the bottom of the den the lions
overpowered them and broke all their bones in pieces.

Then King Darius wrote to all peoples and nations of
every language throughout the whole world: 'May you have
abundant prosperity! I make a decree, that in all my
royal dominion people should tremble and fear before the
God of Daniel:
For he is the living God,
   enduring for ever.
His kingdom shall never be destroyed,
   and his dominion has no end.
He delivers and rescues,
   he works signs and wonders in heaven and on earth;
for he has saved Daniel
   from the power of the lions.'
So this Daniel prospered during the reign of Darius and
the reign of Cyrus the Persian.

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley, 1747
Tune: Hyfrydol, Love Divine, Blaenwern

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l531.html

Love divine, all loves excelling,
joy of heaven, to earth come down,
fix in us thy humble dwelling,
all thy faithful mercies crown.
Jesus, thou art all compassion,
pure, unbounded love thou art;
visit us with thy salvation,
enter every trembling heart.

Come, almighty to deliver,
let us all thy life receive;
suddenly return, and never,
nevermore thy temples leave.
Thee we would be always blessing,
serve thee as thy hosts above,
pray, and praise thee without ceasing,
glory in thy perfect love.

Finish then thy new creation;
pure and spotless let us be;
let us see thy great salvation
perfectly restored in thee:
changed from glory into glory,
till in heaven we take our place,
till we cast our crowns before thee,
lost in wonder, love, and praise.

SECOND READING [Matthew 13:1-9, 18-23]:

That same day Jesus went out of the house and sat beside the lake. Such great crowds
gathered around him that he got into a boat and sat there, while the whole crowd
stood on the beach. And he told them many things in parables, saying: 'Listen! A
sower went out to sow. And as he sowed, some seeds fell on the path, and the birds
came and ate them up. Other seeds fell on rocky ground, where they did not have
much soil, and they sprang up quickly, since they had no depth of soil. But when the
sun rose, they were scorched; and since they had no root, they withered away. Other
seeds fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked them. Other seeds fell on
good soil and brought forth grain, some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty. Let
anyone with ears listen!'
'Hear then the parable of the sower. When anyone hears the word of the kingdom and
does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what is sown in the
heart; this is what was sown on the path. As for what was sown on rocky ground, this
is the one who hears the word and immediately receives it with joy; yet such a person
has no root, but endures only for a while, and when trouble or persecution arises on
account of the word, that person immediately falls away. As for what was sown
among thorns, this is the one who hears the word, but the cares of the world and the
lure of wealth choke the word, and it yields nothing. But as for what was sown on
good soil, this is the one who hears the word and understands it, who indeed bears
fruit and yields, in one case a hundredfold, in another sixty, and in another thirty.'

To Christ our King,
who is first in all things and in whom all things exist,
let us confidently pray.

Lord Jesus Christ, our king and our shepherd,
gather your flock from every corner of the earth:
protect it in your fresh and fertile pastures.
Lord, may your kingdom come.

Jesus, our leader and Saviour,
make all people your own;
heal the sick, seek out the lost, preserve the strong,
bring back the strayed, reunite those who are scattered
and give new hope to the down-hearted.
Lord, may your kingdom come.

Jesus, eternal judge,
when you hand over your kingdom to your Father,
remember us, your faithful people:
let us take possession of the kingdom prepared for us
since the foundation of the world.
Lord, may your kingdom come.

Jesus, our master and model,
you have brought us into your kingdom:
help us to give an example which is
innocent, holy and worthy of you.
Lord, may your kingdom come.

Jesus, prince of peace,
remove from our hearts the greed that leads to war:
speak words of peace to your people.
Lord, may your kingdom come.

Jesus, heir of all the nations,
bring all mankind to the kingdom of your Church
entrusted to you by the Father:
move all people to acknowledge you as the Head
in the unity of the Holy Spirit.
Lord, may your kingdom come.

Jesus, first-born of all creation
and first to be born from the dead:
bring all the departed to the glory of your resurrection.
Lord, may your kingdom come.

Almighty God,
whose sovereign purpose none can make void:
give us faith to be steadfast amid the tumults of this world,
knowing that your kingdom shall come
and your will be done, to your eternal glory;
one God, now and forever. Amen.

May Christ who makes saints of sinners,
and who has transformed those who have gone before us,
raise and strengthen us that we may transform the world. Amen.

_Common Worship: Times and Seasons (draft)_, material from which is
included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2004.