OREMUS: 16 November 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Nov 15 17:00:01 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Friday, November 16, 2007
Margaret, Queen of Scotland, Philanthropist, Reformer of the Church, 1093

Blessed are you, ever-living God,
you inscribe our names in your book of life
so that we may share the firstfruits of salvation.
You protect the widows and strangers,
the oppressed and forgotten,
and feed the hungry with good things.
You stand among us in Christ, offering life to all.
You call us to respond with open hearts and minds to the world,
caring for those for whom you care.

I have done what is just and right;*
 do not deliver me to my oppressors.
Be surety for your servant's good;*
 let not the proud oppress me.
My eyes have failed from watching for your salvation*
 and for your righteous promise.
Deal with your servant
   according to your loving-kindness*
 and teach me your statutes.
I am your servant; grant me understanding,*
 that I may know your decrees.
It is time for you to act, O Lord,*
 for they have broken your law.
Truly, I love your commandments*
 more than gold and precious stones.
I hold all your commandments to be right for me;*
 all paths of falsehood I abhor.
Your decrees are wonderful;*
 therefore I obey them with all my heart.
When your word goes forth it gives light;*
 it gives understanding to the simple.
I open my mouth and pant;*
 I long for your commandments.
Turn to me in mercy,*
 as you always do to those who love your name.
Steady my footsteps in your word;*
 let no iniquity have dominion over me.
Rescue me from those who oppress me,*
 and I will keep your commandments.
Let your countenance shine upon your servant*
 and teach me your statutes.
My eyes shed streams of tears,*
 because people do not keep your law.
You are righteous, O Lord,*
 and upright are your judgements.
You have issued your decrees*
 with justice and in perfect faithfulness.
My indignation has consumed me,*
 because my enemies forget your words.
Your word has been tested to the uttermost,*
 and your servant holds it dear.
I am small and of little account,*
 yet I do not forget your commandments.
Your justice is an everlasting justice*
 and your law is the truth.
Trouble and distress have come upon me,*
 yet your commandments are my delight.
The righteousness of your decrees is everlasting;*
 grant me understanding, that I may live.

A Song of the New Creation (Isaiah 43.15,16,18,19,20c,21)

'I am the Lord, your Holy One,
the Creator of Israel, your King.'
Thus says the Lord, who makes a way in the sea,
a path in the mighty waters,
'Remember not the former things,
nor consider the things of old.
'Behold, I am doing a new thing;
now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?
'I will make a way in the wilderness
and rivers in the desert,
to give drink to my chosen people,
'The people whom I formed for myself,
that they might declare my praise.'

FIRST READING [Wisdom 13:1-9]:

For all people who were ignorant of God were foolish by nature;
and they were unable from the good things that are seen to know the one who exists,
nor did they recognize the artisan while paying heed to his works;
but they supposed that either fire or wind or swift air,
or the circle of the stars, or turbulent water,
or the luminaries of heaven were the gods that rule the world.
If through delight in the beauty of these things people assumed them to be gods,
let them know how much better than these is their Lord,
for the author of beauty created them.
And if people were amazed at their power and working,
let them perceive from them
how much more powerful is the one who formed them.
For from the greatness and beauty of created things
comes a corresponding perception of their Creator.
Yet these people are little to be blamed,
for perhaps they go astray
while seeking God and desiring to find him.
For while they live among his works, they keep searching,
and they trust in what they see, because the things that are seen are beautiful.
Yet again, not even they are to be excused;
for if they had the power to know so much
that they could investigate the world,
how did they fail to find sooner the Lord of these things?

HYMN
Words: Cyril A. Alington
Tune: St. Audrey, Grafton, Regent Square, Rhuddlan

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l382.html

Lord of beauty, thine the splendor
shown in earth and sky and sea,
burning sun and moonlight tender,
hill and river, flower and tree:
lest we fail our praise to render
touch our eyes that they may see.

Lord of wisdom, whom obeying
mighty waters ebb and flow,
while unhasting, undelaying,
planets on their courses go:
in thy laws thyself displaying,
teach our minds thyself to know.

Lord of life, alone sustaining
all below and all above,
Lord of love, by whose ordaining
sun and stars sublimely move:
in our earthly spirits reigning,
lift our hearts that we may love.

Lord of beauty, bid us own thee,
Lord of truth, our footsteps guide,
till as Love our hearts enthrone thee,
and, with vision purified,
Lord of all, when all have known thee,
thou in all art glorified.

SECOND READING [Luke 17:26-37]:

Jesus said, 'Just as it was in the days of Noah, so too it will be in the days of the Son
of Man. They were eating and drinking, and marrying and being given in marriage,
until the day Noah entered the ark, and the flood came and destroyed all of them.
Likewise, just as it was in the days of Lot: they were eating and drinking, buying and
selling, planting and building, but on the day that Lot left Sodom, it rained fire and
sulphur from heaven and destroyed all of them  it will be like that on the day that the
Son of Man is revealed. On that day, anyone on the housetop who has belongings in
the house must not come down to take them away; and likewise anyone in the field
must not turn back. Remember Lot's wife. Those who try to make their life secure will
lose it, but those who lose their life will keep it. I tell you, on that night there will be
two in one bed; one will be taken and the other left. There will be two women grinding
meal together; one will be taken and the other left.' Then they asked him, 'Where,
Lord?' He said to them, 'Where the corpse is, there the vultures will gather.'

Let us with confidence present our prayers and supplications to the throne of
grace.

We pray for all those in positions of power,
that they may govern with wisdom and integrity,
serving the needs of their people.
May your reign come;
Lord, hear our prayer.

We pray for the Church, the sign of your reign,
that it may extend your welcome to people of every race and background.
May your kingdom come;
Lord, hear our prayer.

We pray for Christians of every denomination,
that together we may come to understand the royal priesthood
you bestowed on us in baptism.
May your dominion come;
Lord, hear our prayer.

We pray for those whose commitment to truth
brings them into conflict with earthly powers,
that they may have the courage to endure.
May your rule come;
Lord, hear our prayer.

We pray for this community of faith,
that attentive to your word,
we may always worship in spirit and in truth.
May your reign come;
Lord, hear our prayer.

Loving God,
you have taught us that the power of the heart
is greater than the power of wealth and might.
Hear us as we pray for the fulfilment of your reign.
We ask this through Jesus Christ our King;
to him be glory and power forever. Amen.

O God, the ruler of all,
who called your servant Margaret to an earthly throne
and gave her zeal for your Church and love for your people
that she might advance your heavenly kingdom:
mercifully grant that we who commemorate her example
may be fruitful in good works
and attain to the glorious crown of your saints;

Grant that as we serve yo now on earth,
so we may one day rejoice with all the saints
in your kingdom of light and peace,

copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts

Hymn (c) 1983 Hope Publishing Company, Carol Stream, IL 60188.  All rights
reserved.  Used by permission.
For permission to reproduce this hymn in all territories except the UK, contact:  Hope
Publishing Company, www.hopepublishing.com
In the UK, contact:  Hymns Ancient & Modern Ltd., St. Mary's Works, St. Mary's Plain,
Norwich, Norfolk  NR3 3BH  England

Margaret (born c. 1045) was the grand-daughter of Edmund Ironside, King of
the English, but was probably born in exile in Hungary, and brought to England
in 1057. After the Norman Conquest in 1066, she sought refuge in Scotland,
where about 1070 she married the King, Malcolm III. She and her husband
rebuilt the monastery of Iona and founded the Benedictine Abbey at
Dunfermline. Margaret undertook to impose on the Scottish the ecclesiastical
customs she had been accustomed to in England, customs that were also
prevalent in France and Italy. But Margaret was not concerned only with
ceremonial considerations. She encouraged the founding of schools, hospitals,
and orphanages. She argued in favor of the practice of receiving the Holy
Communion frequently. She was less successful in preventing feuding among
Highland Clans, and when her husband was treacherously killed in 1093, she
herself died a few days later (of grief, it is said). [James Kiefer]