OREMUS: 13 November 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Nov 12 17:00:00 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Tuesday, November 13, 2007
Charles Simeon, Pastor, Evangelical Divine, 1836

Blessed are you, ever-living God,
you inscribe our names in your book of life
so that we may share the firstfruits of salvation.
You protect the widows and strangers,
the oppressed and forgotten,
and feed the hungry with good things.
You stand among us in Christ, offering life to all.
You call us to respond with open hearts and minds to the world,
caring for those for whom you care.

Remember your word to your servant,*
 because you have given me hope.
This is my comfort in my trouble,*
 that your promise gives me life.
The proud have derided me cruelly,*
 but I have not turned from your law.
When I remember your judgements of old,*
 O Lord, I take great comfort.
I am filled with a burning rage,*
 because of the wicked who forsake your law.
Your statutes have been like songs to me*
 wherever I have lived as a stranger.
I remember your name in the night, O Lord,*
 and dwell upon your law.
This is how it has been with me,*
 because I have kept your commandments.
You only are my portion, O Lord;*
 I have promised to keep your words.
I entreat you with all my heart,*
 be merciful to me according to your promise.

I have considered my ways*
 and turned my feet towards your decrees.
I hasten and do not tarry*
 to keep your commandments.
Though the cords of the wicked entangle me,*
 I do not forget your law.
At midnight I will rise to give you thanks,*
 because of your righteous judgements.
I am a companion of all who fear you*
 and of those who keep your commandments.
The earth, O Lord, is full of your love;*
 instruct me in your statutes.
O Lord, you have dealt graciously with your servant,*
 according to your word.
Teach me discernment and knowledge,*
 for I have believed in your commandments.
Before I was afflicted I went astray,*
 but now I keep your word.
You are good and you bring forth good;*
 instruct me in your statutes.
The proud have smeared me with lies,*
 but I will keep your commandments
   with my whole heart.
Their heart is gross and fat,*
 but my delight is in your law.
It is good for me that I have been afflicted,*
 that I might learn your statutes.
The law of your mouth is dearer to me*
 than thousands in gold and silver.

A Song of the Redeemed (Revelation 7.9,10,14b-17)

Behold, a great multitude
which no one could number,
>From every nation,
from all tribes and peoples and tongues,
standing before the throne and the Lamb.
They were clothed in white robes
and had palms in their hands,
and they cried with a loud voice, saying,
'Salvation belongs to our God
who sits on the throne,
and to the Lamb.'
These are they
who have come out of the great tribulation,
they have washed their robes
and made them white in the blood of the Lamb;
Therefore they stand before the throne of God,
whom they serve day and night within the temple.
And the One who sits upon the throne .
will shelter them with his presence.
They shall never again feel hunger or thirst, .
the sun shall not strike them,
nor any scorching heat.
For the Lamb at the heart of the throne
will be their Shepherd,
He will guide them to springs of living water,
and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.

FIRST READING [Wisdom 2:23-3:9]:

God created us for incorruption,
and made us in the image of his own eternity,
but through the devil's envy death entered the world,
and those who belong to his company experience it.

But the souls of the righteous are in the hand of God,
and no torment will ever touch them.
In the eyes of the foolish they seemed to have died,
and their departure was thought to be a disaster,
and their going from us to be their destruction;
but they are at peace.
For though in the sight of others they were punished,
their hope is full of immortality.
Having been disciplined a little,
they will receive great good,
because God tested them and found them worthy of himself;
like gold in the furnace he tried them,
and like a sacrificial burnt-offering he accepted them.
In the time of their visitation they will shine forth,
and will run like sparks through the stubble.
They will govern nations and rule over peoples,
and the Lord will reign over them for ever.
Those who trust in him will understand truth,
and the faithful will abide with him in love,
because grace and mercy are upon his holy ones,
and he watches over his elect.

HYMN
Words: Cyril A. Alington (1872-1955) (c)
Tune: Hyfrydol, Rustington, Abbot's Leigh

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/y/y021.html

Ye that know the Lord is gracious,
ye for whom a cornerstone
stands, of God elect and precious,
laid that ye may build thereon,
see that on that sure foundation
ye a living temple raise,
towers that may tell forth salvation,
walls that may re-echo praise.

Living stones, by God appointed
each to his allotted place,
kings and priests, by God anointed,
shall ye not declare his grace?
Ye, a royal generation,
tell the tidings of your birth,
tidings of a new creation
to an old and weary earth.

Tell the praise of him who called you
out of darkness into light,
broke the fetters that enthralled you,
gave you freedom, peace and sight:
tell the tale of sins forgiven,
strength renewed and hope restored,
till the earth, in tune with heaven,
praise and magnify the Lord.

SECOND READING [Luke 17:7-10]:

Jesus said, 'Who among you would say to your slave who has just come in from
ploughing or tending sheep in the field, "Come here at once and take your place at the
table"? Would you not rather say to him, "Prepare supper for me, put on your apron
and serve me while I eat and drink; later you may eat and drink"? Do you thank the
slave for doing what was commanded? So you also, when you have done all that you
were ordered to do, say, "We are worthless slaves; we have done only what we ought
to have done!" '

Jesus our exalted Lord has been given all authority.
Let us seek his intercession that our prayers may be perfected by his prayer.

Jesus Christ, great high priest, living for ever to intercede for us:
pray for your Church, your broken body in the world
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, king of righteousness,
enthroned at the right hand of the majesty on high:
pray for the world, and make it subject to your gentle rule
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, Son of Man, drawing humanity into the life of God:
pray for your bothers and sisters in need, distress or sorrow
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, pioneer of our salvation,
bringing us to your glory through your death and resurrection:
receive into your kingdom those who have died trusting in your promises
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, Lord of all things,
ascended far above from the heavens and filling the universe:
pray for us who receive the gifts you give us for work in your service
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ,
keep the Church in the unity of the Spirit
and in the bond of peace,
and bring the whole created order to worship at your feet;
for you are alive and reign with the Father and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever. Amen.

God of all the living,
in the resurrection of Christ Jesus
you have given us the promise of life
which death itself cannot destroy:
In the strength of this unshakable promise
give us a new heart to live, even now, as your new creation.
We ask this through your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ,
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

Eternal God,
who raised up Charles Simeon
to preach the good news of Jesus Christ
and inspire your people in service and mission:
grant that we with all your Church may worship the Saviour,
turn in sorrow from our sins and walk in the way of holiness;

Grant that as we serve you now on earth,
so we may one day rejoice with all the saints
in your kingdom of light and peace,

copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts

Hymn (c) Hope Publishing Company, Carol Stream, IL 60188.
For permission to reproduce this hymn in all territories except the UK, contact:
Hope Publishing Company, www.hopepublishing.com
In the UK, contact:  Hymns Ancient & Modern Ltd., St. Mary's Works, St. Mary's Plain,
Norwich, Norfolk  NR3 3BH  England

The intercession is from _Common Worship: Times and Seasons (draft)_,
material from which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops'
Council, 2004.

The first collect is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993
Westminster / John Knox Press.

The second collect is from _Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church
of England_, material from which is included in this service is copyright (c) The
Archbishops' Council, 2000.

Two hundred years ago, students at the English Universities were required to
attend church regularly, and to receive the Holy Communion at least once a
year. This latter requirement often had bad effects, in that it encouraged
hypocrisy and an irreverent reception of the sacrament. Occasionally, however,
it had a very good effect, as with the Cambridge student Charles Simeon. He
wrote:
"On 29 January 1779 I came to college. On 2 February I understood that at
division of term I must attend the Lord's Supper. The Provost absolutely
required it. Conscience told me that, if I must go, I must repent and turn to
God."
By this experience his life was transformed. Upon finishing his college work he
was ordained, and shortly appointed chaplain of Holy Trinity, Cambridge,
where he remained for 55 years, until shortly before his death on 12 November
1836. His ministry helped to transform the lives of many undergraduates, of
whom we may mention two in particular. Henry Martyn, inspired by Simeon,
abandoned his intention of going into law and instead devoted his life and his
considerable talents to preaching the Gospel in India and Persia. William
Wilberforce, also led in part by Simeon's ministry of teaching and example,
devoted his life to the abolition of slavery throughout the British Empire.
Simeon's enthusiasm and zeal brought him much ridicule and abuse, which he
bore uncomplainingly. Though he himself remained in one place, his influence
extended through the Anglican world. [James Kiefer]