OREMUS: 11 November 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Nov 10 17:00:01 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Sunday, November 11, 2007
The Twenty-Fourth Sunday after Pentecost
The Third Sunday before Advent
[Remembrance Day]

Blessed are you, ever-living God,
you inscribe our names in your book of life
so that we may share the firstfruits of salvation.
You protect the widows and strangers,
the oppressed and forgotten,
and feed the hungry with good things.
You stand among us in Christ, offering life to all.
You call us to respond with open hearts and minds to the world,
caring for those for whom you care.

Happy are they whose way is blameless,*
 who walk in the law of the Lord!
Happy are they who observe his decrees*
 and seek him with all their hearts!
Who never do any wrong,*
 but always walk in his ways.
You laid down your commandments,*
 that we should fully keep them.
O that my ways were made so direct*
 that I might keep your statutes!
Then I should not be put to shame,*
 when I regard all your commandments.
I will thank you with an unfeigned heart,*
 when I have learned your righteous judgements.
I will keep your statutes;*
 do not utterly forsake me.
How shall the young cleanse their way?*
 By keeping to your words.
With my whole heart I seek you;*
 let me not stray from your commandments.
I treasure your promise in my heart,*
 that I may not sin against you.
Blessed are you, O Lord;*
 instruct me in your statutes.
With my lips will I recite*
 all the judgements of your mouth.
I have taken greater delight in the way of your decrees*
 than in all manner of riches.
I will meditate on your commandments*
 and give attention to your ways.
My delight is in your statutes;*
 I will not forget your word.
Deal bountifully with your servant,*
 that I may live and keep your word.
Open my eyes, that I may see*
 the wonders of your law.
I am a stranger here on earth;*
 do not hide your commandments from me.
My soul is consumed at all times*
 with longing for your judgements.
You have rebuked the insolent;*
 cursed are they who stray from your commandments!
Turn from me shame and rebuke,*
 for I have kept your decrees.
Even though rulers sit and plot against me,*
 I will meditate on your statutes.
For your decrees are my delight,*
 and they are my counsellors.

A Song of God's Assembled (Hebrews 12.22-24a,28,29)

We have come before God's holy mountain,
to the heavenly Jerusalem, the city of the living God.
We have come before countless angels making festival,
before the assembly of the firstborn citizens of heaven.
We have come before God, who is judge of all,
before the spirits of the just made perfect.
We have come before Jesus,
the mediator of the new covenant.
We are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken:
so let us give thanks and offer to God acceptable worship,
Full of reverence and awe;
for our God is a consuming fire.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [1 Kings 3:1-15]:

Solomon made a marriage alliance with Pharaoh king of
Egypt; he took Pharaoh's daughter and brought her into
the city of David, until he had finished building his own
house and the house of the Lord and the wall around
Jerusalem. The people were sacrificing at the high
places, however, because no house had yet been built for
the name of the Lord.
Solomon loved the Lord, walking in the statutes of his
father David; only, he sacrificed and offered incense at
the high places. The king went to Gibeon to sacrifice
there, for that was the principal high place; Solomon
used to offer a thousand burnt-offerings on that altar.
At Gibeon the Lord appeared to Solomon in a dream by
night; and God said, 'Ask what I should give you.' And
Solomon said, 'You have shown great and steadfast love to
your servant my father David, because he walked before
you in faithfulness, in righteousness, and in uprightness
of heart towards you; and you have kept for him this
great and steadfast love, and have given him a son to sit
on his throne today. And now, O Lord my God, you have
made your servant king in place of my father David,
although I am only a little child; I do not know how to
go out or come in. And your servant is in the midst of
the people whom you have chosen, a great people, so
numerous they cannot be numbered or counted. Give your
servant therefore an understanding mind to govern your
people, able to discern between good and evil; for who
can govern this your great people?'
It pleased the Lord that Solomon had asked this. God said
to him, 'Because you have asked this, and have not asked
for yourself long life or riches, or for the life of your
enemies, but have asked for yourself understanding to
discern what is right, I now do according to your word.
Indeed I give you a wise and discerning mind; no one like
you has been before you and no one like you shall arise
after you. I give you also what you have not asked, both
riches and honour all your life; no other king shall
compare with you. If you will walk in my ways, keeping my
statutes and my commandments, as your father David
walked, then I will lengthen your life.'
Then Solomon awoke; it had been a dream. He came to
Jerusalem, where he stood before the ark of the covenant
of the Lord. He offered up burnt-offerings and offerings
of well-being, and provided a feast for all his servants.

HYMN
Words: Isaac Watts (1674-1748), 1719
Tune: St. Anne

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o196.html

O God, our help in ages past,
our hope for years to come,
our shelter from the stormy blast,
and our eternal home:

Under the shadow of thy throne,
thy saints have dwelt secure;
sufficient is thine arm alone,
and our defense is sure.

Before the hills in order stood,
or earth received her frame,
from everlasting thou art God,
to endless years the same.

A thousand ages in thy sight
are like an evening gone;
short as the watch that ends the night
before the rising sun.

Time, like an ever-rolling stream,
bears all its sons away;
they fly, forgotten, as a dream
dies at the opening day.

O God, our help in ages past,
our hope for years to come,
be thou our guide while troubles last,
and our eternal home!

SECOND READING [Romans 8:31-39]:

What then are we to say about these things? If God is for us, who is against us? He
who did not withhold his own Son, but gave him up for all of us, will he not with him
also give us everything else? Who will bring any charge against God's elect? It is God
who justifies. Who is to condemn? It is Christ Jesus, who died, yes, who was raised,
who is at the right hand of God, who indeed intercedes for us. Who will separate us
from the love of Christ? Will hardship, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or
nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is written,
'For your sake we are being killed all day long;
   we are accounted as sheep to be slaughtered.'
No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I
am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor
things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation,
will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Let us pray for the peace of the world:
for statesmen and rulers,
that they may have wisdom to know
and courage to do what is right ...

for all who work to improve international relationships,
that they may find the true way to reconcile people
of different race, colour, and creed ...

and for men and women the world over,
that they may have justice and freedom,
and live in security and peace ...

Lord, in your mercy
Hear our prayer.

Most gracious God and Father,
in whose will is our peace:
turn our hearts and the hearts of all to yourself,
that by the power of your Spirit
the peace which is founded on righteousness
may be established throughout the whole world;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Let us pray for all who suffer as a result of war:

for the injured and the disabled,
for the mentally distressed,
and for those whose faith in God and man has been
weakened or destroyed ...

for the homeless and refugees,
for those who are hungry,
and for all who have lost their livelihood and security ...

for those who mourn their dead,
those who have lost husband or wife,
children or parents,
and especially for those who have no hope in Christ
to sustain them in their grief ...

Lord, in your mercy
Hear our prayer.

Almighty God, our heavenly Father,
infinite in wisdom, love, and power:
have compassion on those for whom we pray;
and help us to use all suffering
in the cause of your kingdom;
through him who gave himself for us on the cross,
Jesus Christ your Son, our Lord. Amen.

Living Lord,
you have made this day your own
and called us out of darkness into your marvellous light;
open the gates of righteousness
that your pilgrim people may enter
and be built into a living temple
on the cornerstone of our salvation,
Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Let us pledge ourselves anew to the service of God
and our fellow men and women:
that we may help, encourage, and comfort others,
and support those working for the relief of the needy
and for the peace and welfare of the nations:

Lord God our Father,
we pledge ourselves
to serve you and all humankind,
in the cause of peace,
for the relief of want and suffering,
and for the praise of your name.
Guide us by your Spirit;
give us wisdom;
give us courage;
give us hope;
and keep us faithful
now and always. Amen.

copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts