OREMUS: 10 November 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Nov 9 21:12:50 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Saturday, November 11, 2007
Leo the Great, Bishop of Rome, Teacher of the Faith, 461

Blessed are you, Lover of our souls,
in Jesus, your Incarnate One and our Redeemer,
you have made us no longer strangers and sojourners,
but fellow citizens with the saints
and members of your household.

   When Israel came out of Egypt,*
 the house of Jacob from a people of strange speech,
Judah became God's sanctuary*
 and Israel his dominion.
The sea beheld it and fled;*
 Jordan turned and went back.
The mountains skipped like rams,*
 and the little hills like young sheep.
What ailed you, O sea, that you fled?*
 O Jordan, that you turned back?
You mountains, that you skipped like rams?*
 you little hills like young sheep?
Tremble, O earth, at the presence of the Lord,*
 at the presence of the God of Jacob,
Who turned the hard rock into a pool of water*
 and flint-stone into a flowing spring.

Psalm 115

Not to us, O Lord, not to us,
   but to your name give glory;*
 because of your love and because of your faithfulness.
Why should the heathen say,*
 'Where then is their God?'
Our God is in heaven;*
 whatever he wills to do he does.
Their idols are silver and gold,*
 the work of human hands.
They have mouths, but they cannot speak;*
 eyes have they, but they cannot see;
They have ears, but they cannot hear;*
 noses, but they cannot smell;
They have hands, but they cannot feel;
   feet, but they cannot walk;*
 they make no sound with their throat.
Those who make them are like them,*
 and so are all who put their trust in them.
O Israel, trust in the Lord;*
 he is their help and their shield.
O house of Aaron, trust in the Lord;*
 he is their help and their shield.
You who fear the Lord, trust in the Lord;*
 he is their help and their shield.
The Lord has been mindful of us and he will bless us;*
 he will bless the house of Israel;
   he will bless the house of Aaron;
He will bless those who fear the Lord,*
 both small and great together.
May the Lord increase you more and more,*
 you and your children after you.
May you be blessed by the Lord,*
 the maker of heaven and earth.
The heaven of heavens is the Lord's,*
 but he entrusted the earth to its peoples.
The dead do not praise the Lord,*
 nor all those who go down into silence;
But we will bless the Lord,*
 from this time forth for evermore.
   Alleluia!

A Song of Wisdom (Wisdom 9.1-5a,c,6,9-11)

O God of our ancestors and Lord of mercy,
you have made all things by your word.
By your wisdom you have formed us
to have dominion over the creatures you have made;
To rule the world in holiness and righteousness
and to pronounce judgement in uprightness of soul.
Give us the Wisdom that sits by your throne;
do not reject us from among your servants,
For we are your servants,
with little understanding of judgement and laws.
Even one who is perfect among us
will be regarded as nothing
without the wisdom that comes from you.
With you is Wisdom, she who knows your works,
and was present when you made the world.
She understands what is pleasing in your sight
and what is right according to your commandments.
Send her forth from the holy heavens,
from the throne of your glory send her.
That she may labour at our side
and that we may learn what is pleasing to you.
For she knows and understands all things,
she will guide us wisely in our actions
and guard us with her glory.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Romans 16:3-9, 16, 22-27]:

Greet Prisca and Aquila, who work with me in Christ
Jesus, and who risked their necks for my life, to whom
not only I give thanks, but also all the churches of the
Gentiles. Greet also the church in their house. Greet my
beloved Epaenetus, who was the first convert in Asia for
Christ. Greet Mary, who has worked very hard among you.
Greet Andronicus and Junia, my relatives who were in
prison with me; they are prominent among the apostles,
and they were in Christ before I was. Greet Ampliatus, my
beloved in the Lord. Greet Urbanus, our co-worker in
Christ, and my beloved Stachys. Greet one another with a
holy kiss. All the churches of Christ greet you.
I Tertius, the writer of this letter, greet you in the
Lord.
Gaius, who is host to me and to the whole church, greets
you. Erastus, the city treasurer, and our brother
Quartus, greet you.
Now to God who is able to strengthen you according to my
gospel and the proclamation of Jesus Christ, according to
the revelation of the mystery that was kept secret for
long ages but is now disclosed, and through the prophetic
writings is made known to all the Gentiles, according to
the command of the eternal God, to bring about the
obedience of faith  to the only wise God, through Jesus
Christ, to whom be the glory for ever! Amen.

HYMN
Words: Mitre Hymn Book, 1836
based on John Wesley's 1739 paraphrase of a text
by Paul Gerhardt, 1653 ("Befiehl du deine Wege")
Tune: Doncaster

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/p/p141.html

Put thou thy trust in God,
in duty's path go on;
walk in his strength with faith and hope,
so shall thy work be done.

Commit thy ways to him,
thy works into his hands,
and rest on his unchanging word,
who heaven and earth commands.

Though years on years roll on,
his covenant shall endure;
though clouds and darkness hide his path,
the promised grace is sure.

Give to the winds thy fears;
hope, and be undismayed:
God hears thy sighs and counts thy tears;
God shall lift up thy head.

Through waves and clouds and storms
his power will clear thy way:
wait thou his time; the darkest night
shall end in brightest day.

Leave to his sovereign sway
to choose and to command;
so shalt thou, wondering, own his way,
how wise, how strong his hand.

SECOND READING [Luke 16:9-15]:

Jesus said, 'And I tell you, make friends for yourselves by means of dishonest wealth
so that when it is gone, they may welcome you into the eternal homes.
'Whoever is faithful in a very little is faithful also in much; and whoever is dishonest in
a very little is dishonest also in much. If then you have not been faithful with the
dishonest wealth, who will entrust to you the true riches? And if you have not been
faithful with what belongs to another, who will give you what is your own? No slave
can serve two masters; for a slave will either hate the one and love the other, or be
devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.'
The Pharisees, who were lovers of money, heard all this, and they ridiculed him. So he
said to them, 'You are those who justify yourselves in the sight of others; but God
knows your hearts; for what is prized by human beings is an abomination in the sight
of God.'

United in the company of all the faithful
and looking for the coming of the kingdom,
let us offer our prayers to God, the source of all life and holiness.

Merciful Lord,
strengthen all Christian people by your Holy Spirit
that we may live as a royal priesthood
and a holy nation to the praise of Christ Jesus our Saviour.
Lord, have mercy.

Bless N our bishop, and all ministers of your Church,
that by faithful proclamation of your word we may be built
on the foundation of the apostles and prophets
into a holy temple in the Lord.
Lord, have mercy.

Empower us by the gift of your Holy and Life-giving Spirit
that we may be transformed into the likeness of Christ
from glory to glory.
Lord, have mercy.

Give to the world and its peoples the peace
that comes from above, that they may find Christ's way of freedom and life.
Lord, have mercy.

Hold in your embrace all who witness to your love
in the service of the poor and needy;
all those who minister to the sick and dying;
and all who bring light to those in darkness.
Lord, have mercy.

Touch and heal all those whose lives are scarred by sin
or disfigured by pain, that, raised from death to life in Christ,
their sorrow may be turned to eternal joy.
Lord, have mercy.

Remember in your mercy those gone before us
who have been well-pleasing to you from eternity;
preserve us who live here in your faith,
guide us to your kingdom,
and grant us your peace at all times.
Lord, have mercy.

Hasten the day when those who fear you in every nation
will come from east and west, from north and south,
and sit at table in your kingdom.
Lord, have mercy.

And so we give you thanks for the whole company
of your saints in glory,
with whom in fellowship we join our prayers and praises;
by your grace may we, like them, be made perfect in your love.
Blessing and glory and wisdom,
thanksgiving and honour and power,
be to our God for ever and ever. Amen.

You brought your people out of captivity, O Lord,
and give us fresh springs from the barren rock.
Deliver us from the slavery of our sins
and bring us through the waters of redemption
to find new life in your Son,
our Saviour, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

O Lord our God,
grant that your Church,
following the example of your servant Leo of Rome,
may hold fast the great mystery of our redemption,
and adore the one true Christ,
truly God and truly Human,
neither divided from our human nature
nor separate from your divine Being;

May Christ, who has opened the kingdom of heaven,
bring us to reign with him in glory. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is based on Ephesians 2:19.

The closing sentence is from _Common Worship: Daily Prayer_,

Leo I (440-461) and Gregory I (590-604) are the only two bishops of Rome
commonly called "the Great." Leo, at a time when the capital of the Empire
had been moved to Constantinople, and the government even in Italy no longer
had its headquarters at Rome, was the most important official in the city. To
him fell such prosaic tasks as supervising the distribution of grain imports and
reorganizing the municipal fire department. When Attila and the Huns invaded
Italy in 452, he negotiated their withdrawal, and when Gaiseric (or Genseric)
the Vandal captured Rome three years later, it was Leo who prevented the
total destruction of the city. It is perhaps not surprising that the theory of papal
supremacy gained much ground in his day.
In his day there were disgreements about the correct way to state the truth that
Jesus Christ is both God and man. In 449 Leo wrote a letter (known as the
Tome of Leo) to Bishop Flavian of Constantinople, in which he affirmed that
Christ has two Natures in one Person. The letter was read in 451 by the
Council of Chalcedon (the fourth Ecumenical Council), and judged by them to
be sound doctrine. It contributed much to the creedal statements of that
council.
Leo's influence on church government will naturally get mixed reviews. But for
his defense of the belief that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto
himself, all Christians may thank God.
>From a sermon by Leo the Great:
"Although the universal Church of God is constituted of distinct orders of
members, still, in spite of the many parts of its holy body, the Church subsists
as an integral whole, just as the Apostle says: we are all one in Christ. . . For
all, regenerated in Christ, are made kings by the sign of the cross; they are
consecrated priests by the oil of the Holy Spirit, so that beyond the special
service of our ministry as priests, all spiritual and mature Christians know that
they are a royal race and are sharers in the office of the priesthood. For what is
more king-like that to find yourself ruler over your body after having
surrendered your soul to God? And what is more priestly than to promise the
Lord a pure conscience and to offer him in love unblemished victims on the
altar of one's heart? "