OREMUS: 8 November 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Nov 7 21:43:02 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Thursday, November 8, 2007

Blessed are you, Lover of our souls,
in Jesus, your Incarnate One and our Redeemer,
you have made us no longer strangers and sojourners,
but fellow citizens with the saints
and members of your household.

The Lord changed rivers into deserts,*
 and water-springs into thirsty ground,
A fruitful land into salt flats,*
 because of the wickedness of those who dwell there.
He changed deserts into pools of water*
 and dry land into water-springs.
He settled the hungry there,*
 and they founded a city to dwell in.
They sowed fields and planted vineyards,*
 and brought in a fruitful harvest.
He blessed them, so that they increased greatly;*
 he did not let their herds decrease.
Yet when they were diminished and brought low,*
 through stress of adversity and sorrow,
He lifted up the poor out of misery*
 and multiplied their families like flocks of sheep.
He pours contempt on princes*
 and makes them wander in trackless wastes.
The upright will see this and rejoice,*
 but all wickedness will shut its mouth.
Whoever is wise will ponder these things,*
 and consider well the mercies of the Lord.

Psalm 48

Great is the Lord and highly to be praised;*
 in the city of our God is his holy hill.
Beautiful and lofty, the joy of all the earth,
   is the hill of Zion,*
 the very centre of the world
   and the city of the great king.
God is in her citadels;*
 he is known to be her sure refuge.
Behold, the kings of the earth assembled*
 and marched forward together.
They looked and were astounded;*
 they retreated and fled in terror.
Trembling seized them there;*
 they writhed like a woman in childbirth,
   like ships of the sea when the east wind shatters them.
As we have heard, so have we seen,
   in the city of the Lord of hosts, in the city of our God;*
 God has established her for ever.
We have waited in silence
   on your loving-kindness, O God,*
 in the midst of your temple.
Your praise, like your name, O God,
   reaches to the world's end;*
 your right hand is full of justice.
Let Mount Zion be glad
   and the cities of Judah rejoice,*
 because of your judgements.
Make the circuit of Zion; walk round about her;*
 count the number of her towers.
Consider well her bulwarks; examine her strongholds;*
 that you may tell those who come after.
This God is our God for ever and ever;*
 he shall be our guide for evermore.

A Song of the Holy City (Revelation 21.1-5a)

I saw a new heaven and a new earth,
for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away
and the sea was no more.
And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem,
coming down out of heaven from God,
prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
And I heard a great voice from the throne saying,
'Behold, the dwelling of God is among mortals.
'He will dwell with them and they shall be his peoples,
and God himself will be with them.
'He will wipe every tear from their eyes,
and death shall be no more.
'Neither shall there be mourning,
nor crying, nor pain any more,
for the former things have passed away.'
And the One who sat upon the throne said,
'Behold, I make all things new.'

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Romans 14:7-12]:

We do not live to ourselves, and we do not die to
ourselves. If we live, we live to the Lord, and if we
die, we die to the Lord; so then, whether we live or
whether we die, we are the Lord's. For to this end Christ
died and lived again, so that he might be Lord of both
the dead and the living.
Why do you pass judgement on your brother or sister? Or
you, why do you despise your brother or sister? For we
will all stand before the judgement seat of God. For it
is written,
'As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to me,

   and every tongue shall give praise to God.'
So then, each of us will be accountable to God.

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley, 1762
Tune: Boylston

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a006.html

A charge to keep I have,
a God to glorify,
a never-dying soul to save,
and fit it for the sky.

To serve the present age,
my calling to fulfill;
O may it all my powers engage
to do my Master's will!

Arm me with jealous care,
as in thy sight to live,
and O, thy servant, Lord, prepare
a strict account to give!

Help me to watch and pray,
and on thyself rely;
assured, if I my trust betray,
I shall forever die.

SECOND READING [Luke 15:1-10]:

Now all the tax-collectors and sinners were coming near to listen to Jesus. And the
Pharisees and the scribes were grumbling and saying, 'This fellow welcomes sinners
and eats with them.'
So he told them this parable: 'Which one of you, having a hundred sheep and losing
one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness and go after the one that
is lost until he finds it? When he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders and rejoices.
And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and neighbours, saying to
them, "Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost." Just so, I tell you,
there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine
righteous people who need no repentance.
'Or what woman having ten silver coins, if she loses one of them, does not light a
lamp, sweep the house, and search carefully until she finds it? When she has found it,
she calls together her friends and neighbours, saying, "Rejoice with me, for I have
found the coin that I had lost." Just so, I tell you, there is joy in the presence of the
angels of God over one sinner who repents.'

United in the company of all the faithful
and looking for the coming of the kingdom,
let us offer our prayers to God, the source of all life and holiness.

Bless all who minister in your Church,
that by faithful proclamation of your word
we may be built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets
into a holy temple in the Lord.
Lord, in your mercy.
Hear our prayer.

Give to the world and its peoples the peace that comes from above,
that they may find Christ's way of freedom and life.
Lord, in your mercy.
Hear our prayer.

Touch and heal all those whose lives are scarred by sin
or disfigured by pain,
that, raised from death to life in Christ,
their sorrow may be turned to eternal joy.
Lord, in your mercy.
Hear our prayer.

Hasten the day when many
will come from east and west, from north and south,
and sit at table in your kingdom.
Lord, in your mercy.
Hear our prayer.

Merciful Father,
accept these prayers
for the sake of your Son,
our Saviour Jesus Christ. Amen.

Lord, here we have no abiding city,
but seek that which is to come:
guide and deliver us in all earthly changes
and direct our way towards the haven of salvation;

May Christ, who has opened the kingdom of heaven,
bring us to reign with him in glory. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is based on Ephesians 2:19.

The closing sentence is from _Common Worship: Daily Prayer_,