OREMUS: 7 November 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Nov 6 21:09:52 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Wednesday, November 7, 2007
Willibrord of York, Bishop, Apostle of Frisia, 739

Blessed are you, Lover of our souls,
in Jesus, your Incarnate One and our Redeemer,
you have made us no longer strangers and sojourners,
but fellow citizens with the saints
and members of your household.

 and his mercy endures for ever.
Let all those whom the Lord has redeemed proclaim*
 that he redeemed them from the hand of the foe.
He gathered them out of the lands;*
 from the east and from the west,
   from the north and from the south.
Some wandered in desert wastes;*
 they found no way to a city where they might dwell.
They were hungry and thirsty;*
 their spirits languished within them.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,*
 and he delivered them from their distress.
He put their feet on a straight path*
 to go to a city where they might dwell.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his mercy*
 and the wonders he does for his children.
For he satisfies the thirsty*
 and fills the hungry with good things.
Some sat in darkness and deep gloom,*
 bound fast in misery and iron;
Because they rebelled against the words of God*
 and despised the counsel of the Most High.
So he humbled their spirits with hard labour;*
 they stumbled and there was none to help.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,*
 and he delivered them from their distress.
He led them out of darkness and deep gloom*
 and broke their bonds asunder.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his mercy*
 and the wonders he does for his children.
For he shatters the doors of bronze*
 and breaks in two the iron bars.
Some were fools and took to rebellious ways;*
 they were afflicted because of their sins.
They abhorred all manner of food*
 and drew near to death's door.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,*
 and he delivered them from their distress.
He sent forth his word and healed them*
 and saved them from the grave.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his mercy*
 and the wonders he does for his children.
Let them offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving*
 and tell of his acts with shouts of joy.
Some went down to the sea in ships*
 and plied their trade in deep waters;
They beheld the works of the Lord*
 and his wonders in the deep.
Then he spoke and a stormy wind arose,*
 which tossed high the waves of the sea.
They mounted up to the heavens
   and fell back to the depths;*
 their hearts melted because of their peril.
They reeled and staggered like drunkards*
 and were at their wits' end.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,*
 and he delivered them from their distress.
He stilled the storm to a whisper*
 and quieted the waves of the sea.
Then were they glad because of the calm,*
 and he brought them
   to the harbour they were bound for.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his mercy*
 and the wonders he does for his children.
Let them exalt him in the congregation of the people*
 and praise him in the council of the elders.

A Song of the Righteous (Wisdom 3.1,2a,3b-8)

The souls of the righteous are in the hand of God
and no torment will ever touch them.
In the eyes of the foolish, they seem to have died;
but they are at peace.
For though, in the sight of others, they were punished,
their hope is full of immortality.
Having been disciplined a little,
they will receive great good,
because God tested them and found them worthy.
Like gold in the furnace, God tried them
and, like a sacrificial burnt offering, accepted them.
In the time of their visitation, they will shine forth
and will run like sparks through the stubble.
They will govern nations and rule over peoples
and God will reign over them for ever.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Romans 13:8-10]:

Owe no one anything, except to love one another; for the
one who loves another has fulfilled the law. The
commandments, 'You shall not commit adultery; You shall
not murder; You shall not steal; You shall not covet';
and any other commandment, are summed up in this word,
'Love your neighbour as yourself.' Love does no wrong to
a neighbour; therefore, love is the fulfilling of the
law.

HYMN
Words: John Oxenham, 1924
Tune: Ellers

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w219.html

What do I owe? Nay, Lord, what do I not?
All that I am and all that I have got.
All that I am and that how small a thing
compared with all thy goodly fostering.

What do I owe to all the world around?
To set thee first, that grace may more abound.
To set thee first , to hold thee all in all,
and, come what may, to follow thy high call.

What do I owe to this dear land of ours?
All of my best, my time, my thought, my powers.
All of my best is yet to small to give,
that this our land may to thine increase live.

What do I owe to those who follow on?
To build more sure the freedom we have won.
To build more sure the Kingdoms of thy grace,
Kingdoms secure in truth and righteousness.

What do I owe to Christ, my Lord, my King?
That all my life be one sweet offering.
That all my life to noblest heights aspire,
that all I do be touched with holy fire.

SECOND READING [Luke 14:25-33]:

Now large crowds were travelling with Jesus; and he turned and said to them,
'Whoever comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children,
brothers and sisters, yes, and even life itself, cannot be my disciple. Whoever does not
carry the cross and follow me cannot be my disciple. For which of you, intending to
build a tower, does not first sit down and estimate the cost, to see whether he has
enough to complete it? Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation and is not able to
finish, all who see it will begin to ridicule him, saying, "This fellow began to build and
was not able to finish." Or what king, going out to wage war against another king, will
not sit down first and consider whether he is able with ten thousand to oppose the one
who comes against him with twenty thousand? If he cannot, then, while the other is
still far away, he sends a delegation and asks for the terms of peace. So therefore, none
of you can become my disciple if you do not give up all your possessions.'

We pray for the coming of God's kingdom.

You sent your Son to bring news to the poor,
sight to the blind, freedom to captives
and salvation to your people:
anoint us with your Spirit;
rouse us to work in his name:
Father, by your Spirit
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to bring help to the poor and freedom to the oppressed:
Father, by your Spirit
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to tell the world the good news of your healing love:
Father, by your Spirit
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to those who mourn
to bring joy and gladness instead of grief:
Father, by your Spirit
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to proclaim that the time is here
for you to save your people:
Father, by your Spirit
bring in your kingdom.

Lord of the Church
hear our prayer,
and make us one in mind and heart
to serve you in Christ our Lord. Amen.

O God, your steadfast love endures for ever
and your faithfulness from one generation to another;
rescue your people from their distress,
still the storms of our self-will
and bring us to the haven you have prepared for us
in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

May Christ, who has opened the kingdom of heaven,
bring us to reign with him in glory. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is based on Ephesians 2:19.

The closing sentence is from _Common Worship: Daily Prayer_,