OREMUS: 6 November 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Nov 5 22:33:39 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Tuesday, November 6, 2007
William Temple, Archbishop of Canterbury, Teacher of the Faith, 1944

Blessed are you, Lover of our souls,
in Jesus, your Incarnate One and our Redeemer,
you have made us no longer strangers and sojourners,
but fellow citizens with the saints
and members of your household.

Our forebears refused the pleasant land*
 and would not believe God's promise.
They grumbled in their tents*
 and would not listen to the voice of the Lord.
So he lifted his hand against them,*
 to overthrow them in the wilderness,
To cast out their seed among the nations,*
 and to scatter them throughout the lands.
They joined themselves to Baal-Peor*
 and ate sacrifices offered to the dead.
They provoked him to anger with their actions,*
 and a plague broke out among them.
Then Phinehas stood up and interceded,*
 and the plague came to an end.
This was reckoned to him as righteousness*
 throughout all generations for ever.
Again they provoked his anger at the waters of Meribah,*
 so that he punished Moses because of them;
For they so embittered his spirit*
 that he spoke rash words with his lips.
They did not destroy the peoples*
 as the Lord had commanded them.
They intermingled with the heathen*
 and learned their pagan ways,
So that they worshipped their idols,*
 which became a snare to them.!-- v37 -->
They sacrificed their sons*
 and their daughters to evil spirits.
They shed innocent blood,
   the blood of their sons and daughters,*
 which they offered to the idols of Canaan,
   and the land was defiled with blood.
Thus they were polluted by their actions*
 and went whoring in their evil deeds;
Therefore the wrath of the Lord
   was kindled against his people*
 and he abhorred his inheritance.
He gave them over to the hand of the heathen,*
 and those who hated them ruled over them.
Their enemies oppressed them,*
 and they were humbled under their hand.
Many a time did he deliver them,
   but they rebelled through their own devices,*
 and were brought down in their iniquity.
Nevertheless, he saw their distress,*
 when he heard their lamentation.
He remembered his covenant with them*
 and relented in accordance with his great mercy.
He caused them to be pitied*
 by those who held them captive.
Save us, O Lord our God,
   and gather us from among the nations,*
 that we may give thanks to your holy name
   and glory in your praise.
Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel,
   from everlasting and to everlasting;*
 and let all the people say, 'Amen!'
   Alleluia!

A Song of the Redeemed (Revelation 7.9,10,14b-17)

Behold, a great multitude
which no one could number,
>From every nation,
from all tribes and peoples and tongues,
standing before the throne and the Lamb.
They were clothed in white robes
and had palms in their hands,
and they cried with a loud voice, saying,
'Salvation belongs to our God
who sits on the throne,
and to the Lamb.'
These are they
who have come out of the great tribulation,
they have washed their robes
and made them white in the blood of the Lamb;
Therefore they stand before the throne of God,
whom they serve day and night within the temple.
And the One who sits upon the throne .
will shelter them with his presence.
They shall never again feel hunger or thirst, .
the sun shall not strike them,
nor any scorching heat.
For the Lamb at the heart of the throne
will be their Shepherd,
He will guide them to springs of living water,
and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.

FIRST READING [Romans 12:1-16]:

I appeal to you therefore, brothers and sisters, by the
mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living
sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your
spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but
be transformed by the renewing of your minds, so that you
may discern what is the will of God what is good and
acceptable and perfect.
For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you
not to think of yourself more highly than you ought to
think, but to think with sober judgement, each according
to the measure of faith that God has assigned. For as in
one body we have many members, and not all the members
have the same function, so we, who are many, are one body
in Christ, and individually we are members one of
another. We have gifts that differ according to the grace
given to us: prophecy, in proportion to faith; ministry,
in ministering; the teacher, in teaching; the exhorter,
in exhortation; the giver, in generosity; the leader, in
diligence; the compassionate, in cheerfulness.
Let love be genuine; hate what is evil, hold fast to what
is good; love one another with mutual affection; outdo
one another in showing honour. Do not lag in zeal, be
ardent in spirit, serve the Lord. Rejoice in hope, be
patient in suffering, persevere in prayer. Contribute to
the needs of the saints; extend hospitality to
strangers.
Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse
them. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who
weep. Live in harmony with one another; do not be
haughty, but associate with the lowly; do not claim to be
wiser than you are.

HYMN
Words: Latin, seventh century;
trans. John Mason Neale, 1851
Tune: Oriel, Urbs beata, St. Audrey

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b128.html

Blessed city, heavenly Salem,
vision dear of peace and love,
who of living stones art builded
in the height of heaven above,
and, with angel hosts encircled,
as a bride dost earthward move;

from celestial realms descending,
bridal glory round thee shed,
meet for him whose love espoused thee,
to thy Lord shalt thou be led;
all thy streets and all thy bulwarks
of pure gold are fashioned.

Bright thy gates of pearl are shining;
they are open evermore;
and by virtue of his merits
thither faithful souls do soar,
who for Christ's dear Name in this world
pain and tribulation bore.

Many a blow and biting sculpture
polished well those stones elect,
in their places now compacted
by the heavenly Architect,
who therewith hath willed for ever
that his palace should be decked.

Laud and honor to the Father,
laud and honor to the Son,
laud and honor to the Spirit,
ever Three, and ever One,
consubstantial, coeternal,
while unending ages run.

SECOND READING [Luke 14:15-24]:

One of the dinner guests, on hearing this, said to Jesus, 'Blessed is anyone who will
eat bread in the kingdom of God!' Then Jesus said to him, 'Someone gave a great
dinner and invited many. At the time for the dinner he sent his slave to say to those
who had been invited, "Come; for everything is ready now." But they all alike began to
make excuses. The first said to him, "I have bought a piece of land, and I must go out
and see it; please accept my apologies." Another said, "I have bought five yoke of
oxen, and I am going to try them out; please accept my apologies." Another said, "I
have just been married, and therefore I cannot come." So the slave returned and
reported this to his master. Then the owner of the house became angry and said to his
slave, "Go out at once into the streets and lanes of the town and bring in the poor, the
crippled, the blind, and the lame." And the slave said, "Sir, what you ordered has been
done, and there is still room." Then the master said to the slave, "Go out into the
roads and lanes, and compel people to come in, so that my house may be filled. For I
tell you, none of those who were invited will taste my dinner." '

Jesus our exalted Lord has been given all authority.
Let us seek his intercession that our prayers may be perfected by his prayer.

Jesus Christ, great high priest, living for ever to intercede for us:
pray for your Church, your broken body in the world
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, king of righteousness,
enthroned at the right hand of the majesty on high:
pray for the world, and make it subject to your gentle rule
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, Son of Man, drawing humanity into the life of God:
pray for your bothers and sisters in need, distress or sorrow
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, pioneer of our salvation,
bringing us to your glory through your death and resurrection:
receive into your kingdom those who have died trusting in your promises
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, Lord of all things,
ascended far above from the heavens and filling the universe:
pray for us who receive the gifts you give us for work in your service
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ,
keep the Church in the unity of the Spirit
and in the bond of peace,
and bring the whole created order to worship at your feet;
for you are alive and reign with the Father and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever. Amen.

O Almighty God,
the Father of all humanity,
turn, we pray, the hearts of all peoples and their rulers,
that by the power of your Holy Spirit
peace may be established among the nations
on the foundation of justice, righteousness and truth;
through him who was lifted up on the cross
to draw all people to himself,
your Son Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Almighty God,
who founded the Church as the Body of Christ,
that as your Son Jesus of Nazareth
used the body of flesh and blood
to live the life which interprets to us your very being,
so the Church exists on earth to do the same.
We thank you for the witness of your servant William Temple
who called the Church to return to its true purpose,
the Word of God going forth to conquer
in Jesus Christ our Lord,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit

May Christ, who has opened the kingdom of heaven,
bring us to reign with him in glory. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is based on Ephesians 2:19.

The closing sentence is from _Common Worship: Daily Prayer_,

The intercession is from _Common Worship: Times and Seasons_,

The first collect is by William Temple and the the second collect is by Stephen Benner and
is based on a passage from the
writings of William Temple.

Temple's admirers have called him "a philosopher, theologian, social teacher,
educational reformer, and the leader of the ecumenical movement of his
generation," "the most significant Anglican churchman of the twentieth
century," "the most renowned Primate in the Church of England since the
English Reformation," "Anglican's most creative and comprehensive
contribution to the theological enterprise of the West." One of his biographers
lists him (along with Richard Hooker, Joseph Butler, and Frederick Denison
Maurice) as one of the Four Great Doctors of the Anglican Communion.

William Temple, 98th Archbishop of Canterbury, was born in 1881, the second
son of Frederick Temple. At the age of two, he had the first attack of the gout
that would be with him throughout life and eventually kill him. His eyesight
was bad, and a cataract, present from infancy, left him completely blind in the
right eye when he was 40. However, he was an avid reader, with a
near-photographic memory, and once he had read a book, it was his. He was a
passionate lover of the music of Bach. In literature, his special enthusiasms
were poetry (Browning and Shelley), drama (the Greeks and Shakespeare), and
a few novels, especially The Brothers Karamazov. He believed that theological
ideas were often explored most effectively by writers who were not explicitly
writing theology.

He was at Oxford (Balliol) from 1900 to 1904, and was president of the
Oxford Union (the debating society of the University). Here he developed a
remarkable ability to sum up an issue, expressing the pros and cons so clearly
and fairly that the original opponents often ended up agreeing with each other.
This ability served him in good stead later when he moderated conferences on
theological and social issues. However, it was not just a useful talent for
settling disputes. It was, or developed into, an important part of his
philosophy, a belief in Dialectic, derived from Hegel and from Plato. He
thought that beliefs and ideas reach their full maturity through their response to
opposing ideas.

In 1906, he applied for ordination, but the Bishop of Oxford would not ordain
him because he admitted that his belief in the Virgin Birth and the Bodily
Resurrection of Jesus was shaky. However, Davidson, the Archbishop of
Canterbury, after a careful examination, decided that Temple's thought was
developing in a direction that would inevitably bring him into an orthodox
position, and decided to take a chance on ordaining him (deacon 1909, priest
1910). He may be said to have won his bet, in that by 1913 Temple had indeed
committed himself fully to the orthodox position, and could write: "I believe in
the Virgin Birth...it wonderfully holds before the imagination the truth of Our
Lord's Deity and so I am glad that it is in the Creed. Similarly I believe in our
Lord's Bodily Resurrection."

In 1908 he became president of the Workers' Educational Association
(founded by Frederick Denison Maurice), and in 1918 joined the British
Labour Party, and worked actively for the implementing of its platform. He
also became vigorously involved in movements for Christian co-operation and
unity, in missions, in the British Council of Churches, in the World Council of
Churches, in the Church of South India (a merger of Anglican,
Congregationalist, Methodist, and Presbyterian churches into a single church,
with provisions for safeguarding what each group thought essential).

In 1916 he married Frances Anson, and the night before the wedding he stayed
up late to finish writing his first major theological treatise, Mens Creatrix (the
Creative Mind). Eight years later he published a companion volume, expanding
and clarifying the ideas of the first, called Christus Veritas (Christ the Truth).
In 1921 he was made Bishop of Manchester, a heavily industrial city. In 1926
Britain experienced what was known as the General Strike, in which most
workmen in all trades and industries went on strike, not against their particular
employers, but against the social and economic policies of the country as a
whole. In Manchester this meant primarily a coal stoppage. Temple worked
extensively to mediate between the parties, and helped to bring about a
settlement that both sides regarded as basically fair. He excelled, it would
seem, not as a scholar, but as a moderator, and above all as a teacher and
preacher.

Temple became Archbishop of Canterbury in 1942, when a German invasion
seemed likely. He worked for the relief of Jewish refugees from Naziism, and
publicly supported a negotiated peace, as opposed to the unconditional
surrender that the Allied leaders were demanding.

His gout worsened. His last public appearance was at a clergy retreat (a time
spent in a secluded place, with silence, prayer, meditation, reading, and
listening to sermons), where he was taken by ambulance and spoke standing on
his one good foot. He died on 26 October 1944. A number of his writings are
still in print. [James Kiefer]