OREMUS: 5 November 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Nov 4 17:00:01 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Monday, November 5, 2007

Blessed are you, Lover of our souls,
in Jesus, your Incarnate One and our Redeemer,
you have made us no longer strangers and sojourners,
but fellow citizens with the saints
and members of your household.

 for his mercy endures for ever.
Who can declare the mighty acts of the Lord*
 or show forth all his praise?
Happy are those who act with justice*
 and always do what is right!
Remember me, O Lord,
   with the favour you have for your people,*
 and visit me with your saving help;
That I may see the prosperity of your elect
   and be glad with the gladness of your people,*
 that I may glory with your inheritance.
We have sinned as our forebears did;*
 we have done wrong and dealt wickedly.
In Egypt they did not consider your marvellous works,
   nor remember the abundance of your love;*
 they defied the Most High at the Red Sea.
But he saved them for his name's sake,*
 to make his power known.
He rebuked the Red Sea and it dried up,*
 and he led them through the deep as through a desert.
He saved them from the hand of those who hated them*
 and redeemed them from the hand of the enemy.
The waters covered their oppressors;*
 not one of them was left.
Then they believed his words*
 and sang him songs of praise.
But they soon forgot his deeds*
 and did not wait for his counsel.
A craving seized them in the wilderness,*
 and they put God to the test in the desert.
He gave them what they asked,*
 but sent leanness into their soul.
They envied Moses in the camp,*
 and Aaron, the holy one of the Lord.
The earth opened and swallowed Dathan*
 and covered the company of Abiram.
Fire blazed up against their company,*
 and flames devoured the wicked.
Israel made a bull-calf at Horeb*
 and worshipped a molten image;
And so they exchanged their Glory*
 for the image of an ox that feeds on grass.
They forgot God their saviour,*
 who had done great things in Egypt,
Wonderful deeds in the land of Ham,*
 and fearful things at the Red Sea.
So he would have destroyed them,
   had not Moses his chosen
   stood before him in the breach,*
 to turn away his wrath from consuming them.

A Song of Tobit (Tobit 13.1,3,4-6a)

Blessed be God, who lives for ever,
whose reign endures throughout all ages.
Declare God's praise before the nations,
you who are the children of Israel.
For if our God has scattered you among them,
there too has he shown you his greatness.
Exalt him in the sight of the living,
because he is our Lord and God and our Father for ever.
Though God punishes you for your wickedness,
mercy will be shown to you all.
God will gather you from every nation,
from wherever you have been scattered.
When you turn to the Lord
with all your heart and soul,
God will hide his face from you no more.
See what the Lord has done for you
and give thanks with a loud voice.
Praise the Lord of righteousness
and exalt the King of the ages.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Romans 11:29-36]:

The gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable. Just as
you were once disobedient to God but have now received
mercy because of their disobedience, so they have now
been disobedient in order that, by the mercy shown to
you, they too may now receive mercy. For God has
imprisoned all in disobedience so that he may be merciful
to all.
O the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of
God! How unsearchable are his judgements and how
inscrutable his ways!
'For who has known the mind of the Lord?
   Or who has been his counsellor?'
'Or who has given a gift to him,
   to receive a gift in return?'
For from him and through him and to him are all things.
To him be the glory for ever. Amen.

HYMN
Words: William Cowper, 1774
Tune: London

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g/g188.html

God moves in a mysterious way
his wonders to perform:
he plants his footsteps in the sea,
and rides upon the storm.

Deep in unfathomable mines,
with never-failing skill,
he treasures up his bright designs,
and works his sovereign will.

Ye fearful saints, fresh courage take;
the clouds ye so much dread
are big with mercy, and shall break
in blessings on your head.

Judge not the Lord by feeble sense,
but trust him for his grace;
behind a frowning providence
he hides a smiling face.

His purposes will ripen fast,
unfolding every hour:
the bud may have a bitter taste,
but sweet will be the flower.

Blind unbelief is sure to err,
and scan his work in vain;
God is his own interpreter,
and he will make it plain.

SECOND READING [Luke 14:12-14]:

Jesus said also to the one who had invited him, 'When you give a luncheon or a dinner,
do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or rich neighbours, in case
they may invite you in return, and you would be repaid. But when you give a banquet,
invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, and the blind. And you will be blessed, because
they cannot repay you, for you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.'

We pray for the coming of God's kingdom.

You sent your Son to bring news to the poor,
sight to the blind, freedom to captives
and salvation to your people:
anoint us with your Spirit;
rouse us to work in his name:
Father, by your Spirit
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to bring help to the poor and freedom to the oppressed:
Father, by your Spirit
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to tell the world the good news of your healing love:
Father, by your Spirit
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to those who mourn
to bring joy and gladness instead of grief:
Father, by your Spirit
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to proclaim that the time is here
for you to save your people:
Father, by your Spirit
bring in your kingdom.

Lord of the Church
hear our prayer,
and make us one in mind and heart
to serve you in Christ our Lord. Amen.

Lord God,
so rule and govern our hearts and minds
by your Holy Spirit
that, always keeping in mind the end of all things
and the day of judgment,
we may be stirred up to holiness of life here
and may live with you forever in the world to come,
through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

May Christ, who has opened the kingdom of heaven,
bring us to reign with him in glory. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is based on Ephesians 2:19.

The closing sentence is from _Common Worship: Daily Prayer_,

The intercession is from _Common Worship: Times & Seasons_, copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2006.

The collect is from The Lutheran Book of Worship