OREMUS: 29 May 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon May 28 20:45:12 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Blessed are you, God of heaven and earth,
before the foundation of the universe and the beginning of time
you are the triune God:
the Author of creation,
the eternal Word of salvation,
and the life-giving Spirit of wisdom
You guide us to all truth by your Spirit,
that we may proclaim all that Christ revealed
and rejoice in the glroy he shared with us.

Rejoice in the Lord, you righteous;*
 it is good for the just to sing praises.
Praise the Lord with the harp;*
 play to him upon the psaltery and lyre.
Sing for him a new song;*
 sound a fanfare with all your skill upon the trumpet.
For the word of the Lord is right,*
 and all his works are sure.
He loves righteousness and justice;*
 the loving-kindness of the Lord fills the whole earth.
By the word of the Lord were the heavens made,*
 by the breath of his mouth all the heavenly hosts.
He gathers up the waters of the ocean
   as in a water-skin*
 and stores up the depths of the sea.
Let all the earth fear the Lord;*
 let all who dwell in the world stand in awe of him.
For he spoke and it came to pass;*
 he commanded and it stood fast.
The Lord brings the will of the nations to naught;*
 he thwarts the designs of the peoples.
But the Lord's will stands fast for ever,*
 and the designs of his heart from age to age.
Happy is the nation whose God is the Lord!*
 happy the people he has chosen to be his own!
The Lord looks down from heaven,*
 and beholds all the people in the world.
>From where he sits enthroned he turns his gaze*
 on all who dwell on the earth.
He fashions all the hearts of them*
 and understands all their works.
There is no king that can be saved by a mighty army;*
 the strong are not delivered by great strength.nbsp;
The horse is a vain hope for deliverance;*
 for all its strength it cannot save.
Behold, the eye of the Lord
   is upon those who fear him,*
 on those who wait upon his love,
To pluck their lives from death,*
 and to feed them in time of famine.
Our soul waits for the Lord;*
 he is our help and our shield.
Indeed, our heart rejoices in him,*
 for in his holy name we put our trust.
Let your loving-kindness, O Lord, be upon us,*
 as we have put our trust in you.

A Song of the Holy City (Revelation 21:1-5a)

I saw a new heaven and a new earth,
for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away
and the sea was no more.

And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem,
coming down out of heaven from God,
prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

And I heard a great voice from the throne saying,
'Behold, my dwelling is with my people.

'I will dwell with them and they shall be mine,
and I myself will be with them.

'I will wipe away every tear from their eyes,
and death shall be no more.

'Neither shall there be mourning,
nor crying, nor pain any more,
for the former things have passed away.'

And the One who sat upon the throne said,
'Behold, I make all things new.'

FIRST READING [Jeremiah 29:10-19]:

For thus says the Lord: Only when Babylon's seventy years are completed will I visit
you, and I will fulfil to you my promise and bring you back to this place. For surely I
know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare and not for harm,
to give you a future with hope. Then when you call upon me and come and pray to
me, I will hear you. When you search for me, you will find me; if you seek me with all
your heart, I will let you find me, says the Lord, and I will restore your fortunes and
gather you from all the nations and all the places where I have driven you, says the
Lord, and I will bring you back to the place from which I sent you into exile.
Because you have said, 'The Lord has raised up prophets for us in Babylon'  thus
says the Lord concerning the king who sits on the throne of David, and concerning all
the people who live in this city, your kinsfolk who did not go out with you into exile:
Thus says the Lord of hosts, I am going to let loose on them sword, famine, and
pestilence, and I will make them like rotten figs that are so bad they cannot be eaten. I
will pursue them with the sword, with famine, and with pestilence, and will make them
a horror to all the kingdoms of the earth, to be an object of cursing, and horror, and
hissing, and a derision among all the nations where I have driven them, because they
did not heed my words, says the Lord, when I persistently sent to you my servants the
prophets, but they would not listen, says the Lord.

HYMN
Words: Isaac Watts, 1707
Tune: Camberwell

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h347.html

How beauteous are their feet
who stand on Zion's hill
who bring salvation on their tongues
and words of peace reveal!

How charming is their voice!
How sweet the tidings are!
Zion, behold, thy Savior King
he reigns and triumphs here.

How happy are our ears
that hear this joyful sound
which kings and prophets waited for
and sought, but never found.

How blessŠd are our eyes
that see this heavenly light
Prophets and kings desired it long
but died without the sight.

The watchmen join their voice
and tuneful notes employ
Jerusalem breaks forth in songs
and deserts learn the joy.

The Lord makes bare his arm
through all the earth abroad
let every nation now behold
their Savior and their God.

SECOND READING [1 Corinthians 16:13-24]:

Keep alert, stand firm in your faith, be courageous, be strong. Let all that you do be
done in love.
Now, brothers and sisters, you know that members of the household of Stephanas
were the first converts in Achaia, and they have devoted themselves to the service of
the saints; I urge you to put yourselves at the service of such people, and of everyone
who works and toils with them. I rejoice at the coming of Stephanas and Fortunatus
and Achaicus, because they have made up for your absence; for they refreshed my
spirit as well as yours. So give recognition to such people.
The churches of Asia send greetings. Aquila and Prisca, together with the church in
their house, greet you warmly in the Lord. All the brothers and sisters send greetings.
Greet one another with a holy kiss.
I, Paul, write this greeting with my own hand. Let anyone be accursed who has no
love for the Lord. Our Lord, come! The grace of the Lord Jesus be with you. My love
be with all of you in Christ Jesus.

Lord Jesus,
born in pain, struggling towards life, fighting for breath;
born in shame,
born to the threat of Herod's sword;
fleeing to another country, another home;
wrapped in a young girl's love, placed in a borrowed bed;
We pray for those we know and love;
for all who suffer pain of body or anguish of mind;
for all who struggle to live, to live well, to live better;
for all who burn with shame,
for all who face threat and danger,
We pray to you, O God:
Hear our prayer.

We pray for war-ravaged countries and refugees;
for the starving poor;
for battered wives and abused children;
for the homeless, for the mentally ill;
for those who struggle with disability.
Strengthen us to work for peace on the earth
and peace with the earth.
We pray to you, O God:
Hear our prayer.

We pray for the Church,
especially the Diocese of
Keep us faithful that we may bear faithful witness in word and work
to your presence among us.
We pray to you, O God:
Hear our prayer.

We pray for all who are alone.
May our love reach out to the lonely and broken-hearted,
the bereaved, and all for whom life has become something to be endured.
May we open our minds, hearts and homes to those around us.
We pray to you, O God:
Hear our prayer.

And we pray for our own needs:
seeking the grace of your presence,
firming our resolve to behave as we believe;
seeking your courage to reconcile, heal and make new;
seeking a sure vision of your coming kingdom.
We pray to you, O God:
Hear our prayer.

Blessed are you, Creator of the universe:
In your loving kindness you watch over your chosen people.
Make us witnesses to your truth
and instruments of your peace
that all may know you as the God of justice,
and praise your holy Name;
through Jesus Christ our Savior. Amen.

Savior,
send us to earth's ends with water and words
and startle us with the grace, love, and communion
of your unity in diversity,
that we may live to the praise of your majestic Name. Amen.

_Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002 Consultation
on Common Texts