OREMUS: 28 May 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun May 27 19:43:51 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Monday, May 28, 2007

Blessed are you, God of heaven and earth,
before the foundation of the universe and the beginning of time
you are the triune God:
the Author of creation,
the eternal Word of salvation,
and the life-giving Spirit of wisdom
You guide us to all truth by your Spirit,
that we may proclaim all that Christ revealed
and rejoice in the glroy he shared with us.

The earth is the Lord's and all that is in it,*
 the world and all who dwell therein.
For it is he who founded it upon the seas*
 and made it firm upon the rivers of the deep.
'Who can ascend the hill of the Lord?*
 and who can stand in his holy place?'
'Those who have clean hands and a pure heart,*
 who have not pledged themselves to falsehood,
   nor sworn by what is a fraud.
'They shall receive a blessing from the Lord*
 and a just reward from the God of their salvation.'
Such is the generation of those who seek him,*
 of those who seek your face, O God of Jacob.
Lift up your heads, O gates;
   lift them high, O everlasting doors;*
 and the King of glory shall come in.
'Who is this King of glory?'*
 'The Lord, strong and mighty,
   the Lord, mighty in battle.'
Lift up your heads, O gates;
   lift them high, O everlasting doors;*
 and the King of glory shall come in.
'Who is he, this King of glory?'*
 'The Lord of hosts,
   he is the King of glory.'

Psalm 29

Ascribe to the Lord, you gods,*
 ascribe to the Lord glory and strength.
Ascribe to the Lord the glory due to his name;*
 worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness.
The voice of the Lord is upon the waters;
   the God of glory thunders;*
 the Lord is upon the mighty waters.
The voice of the Lord is a powerful voice;*
 the voice of the Lord is a voice of splendour.
The voice of the Lord breaks the cedar trees;*
 the Lord breaks the cedars of Lebanon;
He makes Lebanon skip like a calf,*
 and Mount Hermon like a young wild ox.
The voice of the Lord splits the flames of fire;
   the voice of the Lord shakes the wilderness;*
 the Lord shakes the wilderness of Kadesh.
The voice of the Lord makes the oak trees writhe*
 and strips the forests bare.
And in the temple of the Lord*
 all are crying, 'Glory!'
The Lord sits enthroned above the flood;*
 the Lord sits enthroned as king for evermore.
The Lord shall give strength to his people;*
 the Lord shall give his people the blessing of peace.

A Song of Deliverance (Isaiah 12:2-6)

'Behold, God is my salvation;
I will trust and will not be afraid;

'For the Lord God is my strength and my song,
and has become my salvation.'

With joy you will draw water
from the wells of salvation.

On that day you will say,
'Give thanks to the Lord, call upon his name;

'Make known his deeds among the nations,
proclaim that his name is exalted.

'Sing God's praises, who has triumphed gloriously;
let this be known in all the world.

'Shout and sing for joy, you that dwell in Zion,
for great in your midst is the Holy One of Israel.'

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Jeremiah 24:1-10]:

The Lord showed me two baskets of figs placed before the
temple of the Lord. This was after King Nebuchadrezzar of
Babylon had taken into exile from Jerusalem King Jeconiah
son of Jehoiakim of Judah, together with the officials of
Judah, the artisans, and the smiths, and had brought them
to Babylon. One basket had very good figs, like
first-ripe figs, but the other basket had very bad figs,
so bad that they could not be eaten. And the Lord said to
me, 'What do you see, Jeremiah?' I said, 'Figs, the good
figs very good, and the bad figs very bad, so bad that
they cannot be eaten.'

Then the word of the Lord came to me: Thus says the Lord,
the God of Israel: Like these good figs, so I will regard
as good the exiles from Judah, whom I have sent away from
this place to the land of the Chaldeans. I will set my
eyes upon them for good, and I will bring them back to
this land. I will build them up, and not tear them down;
I will plant them, and not pluck them up. I will give
them a heart to know that I am the Lord; and they shall
be my people and I will be their God, for they shall
return to me with their whole heart.
But thus says the Lord: Like the bad figs that are so bad
they cannot be eaten, so will I treat King Zedekiah of
Judah, his officials, the remnant of Jerusalem who remain
in this land, and those who live in the land of Egypt. I
will make them a horror, an evil thing, to all the
kingdoms of the earth a disgrace, a byword, a taunt, and
a curse in all the places where I shall drive them. And I
will send sword, famine, and pestilence upon them, until
they are utterly destroyed from the land that I gave to
them and their ancestors.

HYMN
Words: John Ernest Bode, 1868
Tune: Llanfyllin, Nyland, Missionary Hymn, Day of Rest, Wolvercote, Thornbury

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o309.html

O Jesus, I have promised
to serve thee to the end:
be thou ever near me,
my Master and my friend;
I shall not fear the battle
if thou art by my side,
nor wander from the pathway
if thou wilt be my guide.

O let me feel thee near me!
The world is ever near;
I see the sights that dazzle,
the tempting sounds I hear;
my foes are ever near me,
around me and within;
but Jesus, draw thou nearer,
and shield my soul from sin.

O let me hear thee speaking
in accents clear and still,
above the storms of passion,
the murmurs of self-will;
O speak to reassure me,
to hasten or control;
O speak, and make me listen,
thou guardian of my soul.

O let me see thy features,
the look that once could make
so many a true disciple
leave all things for thy sake:
the look that beamed on Peter
when he thy name denied;
the look that draws thy lovers
close to thy piercŠd side.

O Jesus, thou hast promised
to all who follow thee,
that where thou art in glory
there shall thy servant be;
and, Jesus I have promised
to serve thee to the end;
O give me grace to follow,
my Master and my friend.

O let me see thy footmarks,
and in them plant mine own;
My hope to follow duly
is in thy strength alone.
O guide me, call me, draw me,
uphold me to the end;
and then in heaven receive me,
my Savior and my Friend.

SECOND READING [1 Corinthians 16:1-12]:

Now concerning the collection for the saints: you should follow the directions I gave
to the churches of Galatia. On the first day of every week, each of you is to put aside
and save whatever extra you earn, so that collections need not be taken when I come.
And when I arrive, I will send any whom you approve with letters to take your gift to
Jerusalem. If it seems advisable that I should go also, they will accompany me.
I will visit you after passing through Macedonia for I intend to pass through
Macedonia  and perhaps I will stay with you or even spend the winter, so that you
may send me on my way, wherever I go. I do not want to see you now just in passing,
for I hope to spend some time with you, if the Lord permits. But I will stay in Ephesus
until Pentecost, for a wide door for effective work has opened to me, and there are
many adversaries.
If Timothy comes, see that he has nothing to fear among you, for he is doing the work
of the Lord just as I am; therefore let no one despise him. Send him on his way in
peace, so that he may come to me; for I am expecting him with the brothers.
Now concerning our brother Apollos, I strongly urged him to visit you with the other
brothers, but he was not at all willing to come now. He will come when he has the
opportunity.

Aware of God's gracious love for all creation,
let us pray for Christ's Church, the world and all who stand in need.

For the Church throughout the world,
that we  may proclaim the Good News
and bring reconciliation and healing to this planet.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For all Christians,
that they may know the power of the living Christ
and serve in faithful discipleship
filled with grace and love and peace.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For our country,
that its leaders may govern wisely and with compassion;
that its people may act responsibly toward one another
with fairness and for the common good.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For all nations,
that all peoples shall know peace with justice,
that together they may recognize their common interdependence
in sharing the resources of earth.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For the ties that bind us together,
that family members may respect one another with tender care,
that children are reared with a trust in the goodness of life,
that relations between friend and friend be open in loving honesty.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For those who are in trouble or in danger,
that regardless of circumstance
they may find hope and release
and know that they are not alone, but abide in you.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For the spread of God's good news to all the world,
that people shall increasingly seek to know God
and find their rest in him who came to save us,
Jesus Christ our Lord.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

Creator and Ruler of all,
open our hearts
that the King of glory may enter,
and bring us rejoicing to your holy mountain,
where you live and reign, now and forever. Amen.

Savior,
send us to earth's ends with water and words
and startle us with the grace, love, and communion
of your unity in diversity,
that we may live to the praise of your majestic Name. Amen.

_Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002 Consultation
on Common Texts