OREMUS: 27 May 2007

Steve Benner oremus at insight.rr.com
Sun May 27 12:30:56 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Sunday, May 27, 2007
The Day of Pentecost

Blessed are you, God of power and majesty,
this day we give you thanks
because in fulfilment of your promise
you pour out your Spirit upon us,
filling us with your gifts, leading us into all truth,
and uniting peoples of many tongues in the confession of one faith.
Your Spirit gives us grace to call you Father,
to proclaim your gospel to all nations
and to serve you as a royal priesthood.

Bless the Lord, O my soul,*
  and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul,*
  and forget not all his benefits.
He forgives all your sins*
  and heals all your infirmities;
He redeems your life from the grave*
  and crowns you with mercy and loving-kindness;
He satisfies you with good things,*
  and your youth is renewed like an eagle’s.
The Lord executes righteousness*
  and judgement for all who are oppressed.
He made his ways known to Moses*
  and his works to the children of Israel.
The Lord is full of compassion and mercy,*
  slow to anger and of great kindness.
He will not always accuse us,*
  nor will he keep his anger for ever.
He has not dealt with us according to our sins,*
  nor rewarded us according to our wickedness.
For as the heavens are high above the earth,*
  so is his mercy great upon those who fear him.
As far as the east is from the west,*
  so far has he removed our sins from us.
As a father cares for his children,*
  so does the Lord care for those who fear him.
For he himself knows whereof we are made;*
  he remembers that we are but dust.
Our days are like the grass;*
  we flourish like a flower of the field;
When the wind goes over it, it is gone,*
  and its place shall know it no more.
But the merciful goodness of the Lord
    endures for ever on those who fear him,*
  and his righteousness on children’s children;
On those who keep his covenant*
  and remember his commandments and do them.
The Lord has set his throne in heaven,*
  and his kingship has dominion over all.
Bless the Lord, you angels of his,
    you mighty ones who do his bidding,*
  and hearken to the voice of his word.
Bless the Lord, all you his hosts,*
  you ministers of his who do his will.
Bless the Lord, all you works of his,
    in all places of his dominion;*
  bless the Lord, O my soul.

A Song of God's Children (Romans 8:2,14,15b-19)

The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus
has set us free from the law of sin and death.

All who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God;
for we have received the Spirit that enables us to cry, 'Abba, Father'.

The Spirit himself bears witness that we are children of God
and if God's children, then heirs of God;

If heirs of God, then fellow-heirs with Christ;
since we suffer with him now, that we may be glorified with him.

These sufferings that we now endure
are not worth comparing to the glory that shall be revealed.

For the creation waits with eager longing
for the revealing of the children of God.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Joel 2:18-29]:

Then the Lord became jealous for his land,
and had pity on his people.
I am sending you
grain, wine, and oil,
and you will be satisfied;
and I will no more make you
a mockery among the nations.

I will remove the northern army far from you,
and drive it into a parched and desolate land,
its front into the eastern sea,
and its rear into the western sea;
its stench and foul smell will rise up.
Surely he has done great things!

Do not fear, O soil;
be glad and rejoice,
for the Lord has done great things!
Do not fear, you animals of the field,
for the pastures of the wilderness are green;
the tree bears its fruit,
the fig tree and vine give their full yield.

O children of Zion, be glad
and rejoice in the Lord your God;
for he has given the early rain for your vindication,
he has poured down for you abundant rain,
the early and the later rain, as before.
The threshing-floors shall be full of grain,
the vats shall overflow with wine and oil.

I will repay you for the years
that the swarming locust has eaten,
the hopper, the destroyer, and the cutter,
my great army, which I sent against you.

You shall eat in plenty and be satisfied,
and praise the name of the Lord your God,
who has dealt wondrously with you. And my people shall never again be put
to shame.
You shall know that I am in the midst of Israel,
and that I, the Lord, am your God and there is no other.
And my people shall never again
be put to shame.

Then afterwards
I will pour out my spirit on all flesh;
your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
your old men shall dream dreams,
and your young men shall see visions.
Even on the male and female slaves,
in those days, I will pour out my spirit.

HYMN
Words: Brian Wren ©
Tune: University College

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t487.html

There's a spirit in the air,
telling Christians everywhere:
"Praise the love that Christ revealed,
living, working in our world."

Lose your shyness, find your tongue;
tell the world what God has done:
God in Christ has come to stay,
we can see his power today.

When believers break the bread
when a hungry child is fed:
praise the love that Christ revealed
living, working in our world.

Still his Spirit leads the fight,
seeing wrong and setting right:
God in Christ has come to stay,
we can see his power today.

When a stranger's not alone,
where the homeless find a home,
praise the love that Christ revealed,
living, working in our world.

May the Spirit fill our praise,
guide our thoughts and change our ways:
God in Christ has come to stay,
we can see his power today.

There's a Spirit in the air,
calling people everywhere:
praise the love that Christ revealed,
living, working in our world.

SECOND READING [1 Corinthians 2:1-11]:

When I came to you, brothers and sisters, I did not come proclaiming the
mystery of God to you in lofty words or wisdom. For I decided to know
nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and him crucified. And I came to you
in weakness and in fear and in much trembling. My speech and my
proclamation were not with plausible words of wisdom, but with a
demonstration of the Spirit and of power, so that your faith might rest not
on human wisdom but on the power of God.

Yet among the mature we do speak wisdom, though it is not a wisdom of this
age or of the rulers of this age, who are doomed to perish. But we speak
God's wisdom, secret and hidden, which God decreed before the ages for our
glory. None of the rulers of this age understood this; for if they had,
they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. But, as it is written,
'What no eye has seen, nor ear heard,
nor the human heart conceived,
what God has prepared for those who love him'
these things God has revealed to us through the Spirit; for the Spirit
searches everything, even the depths of God. For what human being knows
what is truly human except the human spirit that is within? So also no one
comprehends what is truly God's except the Spirit of God.

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening), or Nunc dimittis
(Night) may follow.

Prayer:
We pray for God to fill us with his Spirit.

Generous God, we thank you for the power of your Holy Spirit.
We ask that we may be strengthened to serve you better.
Lord, come to bless us.
Fill us with your Spirit.

We thank you for the wisdom of your Holy Spirit.
We ask you to make us wise to understand your will.
Lord, come to bless us.
Fill us with your Spirit.

We thank you for the peace of your Holy Spirit.
We ask you to keep us confident of your love,
wherever you call us.
Lord, come to bless us.
Fill us with your Spirit.

We thank you for the healing of your Holy Spirit.
We ask you to bring reconciliation and wholeness
where there is division, sickness and sorrow.
Lord, come to bless us.
Fill us with your Spirit.

We thank you for the gifts of your Holy Spirit.
We ask you to equip us for the work
which you have given us.
Lord, come to bless us.
Fill us with your Spirit.

We thank you for the fruit of your Holy Spirit.
We ask you to reveal in our lives the love of Jesus.
Lord, come to bless us.
Fill us with your Spirit.

We thank you for the breath of your Holy Spirit,
given by the risen Lord.
We ask you to keep the whole Church,
living and departed,
in the joy of eternal life.
Lord, come to bless us.
Fill us with your Spirit.

Almighty God,
on this day you opened the way of eternal life
to every race and nation
by the promised gift of your Holy Spirit:
Shed abroad this gift throughout the world
by the preaching of the Gospel,
that it may reach to the ends of the earth;
through Jesus Christ our Lord,
who lives and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

God of power,
may the boldness of your Spirit transform us,
may the gentleness of your Spirit lead us,
and may the gifts of your Spirit equip us
to serve and worship you now and always. Amen.

The psalms and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from Celebrating
Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used
with permission.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving (adapted) and the canticle are from
Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition, copyright © The
Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of
the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by
permission. All rights reserved.

Hymn© 1969, revised 1995 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL 60188.
All rights reserved. Used by permission.
In US, Canada, Australia & New Zealand: Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
Rest of the World: Stainer & Bell Ltd., www.stainer.co.uk

The intercession and closing sentence are from New Patterns for Worship,
copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The collect is from The Book of Common Prayer According to the Use of The
Episcopal Church.