OREMUS: 26 May 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri May 25 19:22:49 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Saturday, May 26, 2007
Augustine, first Archbishop of Canterbury, 605

Blessed are you, Lord God of all creation,
to you be praise and glory for ever.
Your living Word brings light out of darkness
and daily your Spirit renews the face of the earth.
Christ, the true Lamb, his passion accomplished,
has been raised to the right hand of your majesty on high.
The pioneer of our faith has opened the way to heaven
and sends on us your promised Spirit.
Pour upon us the riches of your grace
that we, the first fruits of your new creation,
may bring forth the fruits of the Spirit
and reveal your glory in all the world.

Lord, you have searched me out and known me;*
 you know my sitting down and my rising up;
   you discern my thoughts from afar.
You trace my journeys and my resting-places*
 and are acquainted with all my ways.
Indeed, there is not a word on my lips,*
 but you, O Lord, know it altogether.
You press upon me behind and before*
 and lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;*
 it is so high that I cannot attain to it.
Where can I go then from your Spirit?*
 where can I flee from your presence?
If I climb up to heaven, you are there;*
 if I make the grave my bed, you are there also.
If I take the wings of the morning*
 and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
Even there your hand will lead me*
 and your right hand hold me fast.
If I say, 'Surely the darkness will cover me,*
 and the light around me turn to night',
Darkness is not dark to you;
   the night is as bright as the day;*
 darkness and light to you are both alike.
For you yourself created my inmost parts;*
 you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I will thank you because I am marvellously made;*
 your works are wonderful and I know it well.
My body was not hidden from you,*
 while I was being made in secret
   and woven in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes beheld my limbs, yet unfinished in the womb;
   all of them were written in your book;*
 they were fashioned day by day,
   when as yet there was none of them.
How deep I find your thoughts, O God!*
 how great is the sum of them!
If I were to count them,
   they would be more in number than the sand;*
 to count them all,
   my life span would need to be like yours.
Search me out, O God, and know my heart;*
 try me and know my restless thoughts.
Look well whether there be any wickedness in me*
 and lead me in the way that is everlasting.

A Song of Ezekiel (Ezekiel 36:24-26,28b)

I will take you from the nations,
and gather you from all the countries.

I will sprinkle clean water upon you,
and you shall be clean from all your impurities.

A new heart I will give you,
and put a new spirit within you,

And I will remove from your body the heart of stone
and give you a heart of flesh.

You shall be my people,
and I will be your God.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [2 Kings 2:1-15a]:

Now when the Lord was about to take Elijah up to heaven
by a whirlwind, Elijah and Elisha were on their way from
Gilgal. Elijah said to Elisha, 'Stay here; for the Lord
has sent me as far as Bethel.' But Elisha said, 'As the
Lord lives, and as you yourself live, I will not leave
you.' So they went down to Bethel. The company of
prophets who were in Bethel came out to Elisha, and said
to him, 'Do you know that today the Lord will take your
master away from you?' And he said, 'Yes, I know; keep
silent.'

Elijah said to him, 'Elisha, stay here; for the Lord has
sent me to Jericho.' But he said, 'As the Lord lives, and
as you yourself live, I will not leave you.' So they came
to Jericho. The company of prophets who were at Jericho
drew near to Elisha, and said to him, 'Do you know that
today the Lord will take your master away from you?' And
he answered, 'Yes, I know; be silent.'

Then Elijah said to him, 'Stay here; for the Lord has
sent me to the Jordan.' But he said, 'As the Lord lives,
and as you yourself live, I will not leave you.' So the
two of them went on. Fifty men of the company of prophets
also went, and stood at some distance from them, as they
both were standing by the Jordan. Then Elijah took his
mantle and rolled it up, and struck the water; the water
was parted to the one side and to the other, until the
two of them crossed on dry ground.

When they had crossed, Elijah said to Elisha, 'Tell me
what I may do for you, before I am taken from you.'
Elisha said, 'Please let me inherit a double share of
your spirit.' He responded, 'You have asked a hard thing;
yet, if you see me as I am being taken from you, it will
be granted you; if not, it will not.' As they continued
walking and talking, a chariot of fire and horses of fire
separated the two of them, and Elijah ascended in a
whirlwind into heaven. Elisha kept watching and crying
out, 'Father, father! The chariots of Israel and its
horsemen!' But when he could no longer see him, he
grasped his own clothes and tore them in two pieces.

He picked up the mantle of Elijah that had fallen from
him, and went back and stood on the bank of the Jordan.
He took the mantle of Elijah that had fallen from him,
and struck the water, saying, 'Where is the Lord, the God
of Elijah?' When he had struck the water, the water was
parted to the one side and to the other, and Elisha went
over.

When the company of prophets who were at Jericho saw him
at a distance, they declared, 'The spirit of Elijah rests
on Elisha.'

HYMN
Words: Vincent Uher (c)
Tune: Passion Chorale, Es flog ein kleins Waldv"glein
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/uher21.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/u
her21.html

Behold, how like a monarch
Peace enters in to reign
when all things rightly ordered
proclaim Christ's true domain.
God crowns each true peacemaker
with blessings from above
to share with friend and neighbour
the treasure of God's love.

The sacrifice of Jesus,
his rising from the dead,
his sending of the Spirit
turns this world on its head.
The promise of our Saviour
sings, 'Heaven is at hand.
Receive the Holy Spirit.
Peace to you and your land.'

Long nights we knew of warfare,
of desperate people's cries.
We see how nations falter
destroyed by greed and lies.
Christ's Cross, a contradiction
"Lay down your life for friends
so justice, hope, and mercy
fill the world's farthest ends."

To put an end to terror
we long to do what's right.
To save the world from horrors,
to vanquish evil's might.
Unless God leads and guides us
we turn Earth into hell.
Christ, shepherd all the nations
so all things shall be well!

Christ's peace, the Church's power,
His peace, our bravest song.
His sacrifice, his bleeding
make peace where once was wrong.
His Gospel mark our actions.
Our actions be as prayers
till Christ rules every nation,
swords beat into ploughshares.

Creator of all nature,
the Word through whom Life came,
the Spirit through us moving,
One God, we praise your Name.
We tell out your great goodness,
your tenderness and might
by which you end all terror.
Your peace crowns all with light.

SECOND READING [Luke 1:5-17]:

In the days of King Herod of Judea, there was a priest named Zechariah, who
belonged to the priestly order of Abijah. His wife was a descendant of Aaron, and her
name was Elizabeth. Both of them were righteous before God, living blamelessly
according to all the commandments and regulations of the Lord. But they had no
children, because Elizabeth was barren, and both were getting on in years.
Once when he was serving as priest before God and his section was on duty, he was
chosen by lot, according to the custom of the priesthood, to enter the sanctuary of the
Lord and offer incense. Now at the time of the incense-offering, the whole assembly of
the people was praying outside. Then there appeared to him an angel of the Lord,
standing at the right side of the altar of incense. When Zechariah saw him, he was
terrified; and fear overwhelmed him. But the angel said to him, 'Do not be afraid,
Zechariah, for your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son,
and you will name him John. You will have joy and gladness, and many will rejoice at
his birth, for he will be great in the sight of the Lord. He must never drink wine or
strong drink; even before his birth he will be filled with the Holy Spirit. He will turn
many of the people of Israel to the Lord their God. With the spirit and power of Elijah
he will go before him, to turn the hearts of parents to their children, and the
disobedient to the wisdom of the righteous, to make ready a people prepared for the
Lord.'

We pray for God to fill us with his Spirit.

Generous God, we thank you for the power of your Holy Spirit.
We ask that we may be strengthened to serve you better.
Lord, come to bless us.
Fill us with your Spirit.

We thank you for the wisdom of your Holy Spirit.
We ask you to make us wise to understand your will.
Lord, come to bless us.
Fill us with your Spirit.

We thank you for the peace of your Holy Spirit.
We ask you to keep us confident of your love,
wherever you call us.
Lord, come to bless us.
Fill us with your Spirit.

We thank you for the healing of your Holy Spirit.
We ask you to bring reconciliation and wholeness
where there is division, sickness and sorrow.
Lord, come to bless us.
Fill us with your Spirit.

We thank you for the gifts of your Holy Spirit.
We ask you to equip us for the work
which you have given us.
Lord, come to bless us.
Fill us with your Spirit.

We thank you for the fruit of your Holy Spirit.
We ask you to reveal in our lives the love of Jesus.
Lord, come to bless us.
Fill us with your Spirit.

We thank you for the breath of your Holy Spirit,
given by the risen Lord.
We ask you to keep the whole Church,
living and departed,
in the joy of eternal life.
Lord, come to bless us.
Fill us with your Spirit.

God of our joy and gladness,
hear our prayer for the peace of this world
and bring us at last,
with all our companions in faith,
to the peace of that city where you live and reign,
Father, Son and Holy Spirit,
now and to all eternity. Amen.

Everliving God,
you strengthened your servant Augustine,
though he was fearful and laden with doubt,
to lay the foundations of your Church
among the English people.
Grant us always to show forth the reason
for all your gifts so freely bestowed upon us,
by sharing with all peoples and races
your infinite gift of salvation;

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

God of power,
may the boldness of your Spirit transform us,
may the gentleness of your Spirit lead us,
and may the gifts of your Spirit equip us
to serve and worship you now and always. Amen.

a Eucharistic Prayer in _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993
Westminster / John Knox Press.