OREMUS: 23 May 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue May 22 20:59:57 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Blessed are you, Lord God of all creation,
to you be praise and glory for ever.
Your living Word brings light out of darkness
and daily your Spirit renews the face of the earth.
Christ, the true Lamb, his passion accomplished,
has been raised to the right hand of your majesty on high.
The pioneer of our faith has opened the way to heaven
and sends on us your promised Spirit.
Pour upon us the riches of your grace
that we, the first fruits of your new creation,
may bring forth the fruits of the Spirit
and reveal your glory in all the world.

To you I lift up my eyes,*
 to you enthroned in the heavens.
As the eyes of servants look to the hand of their masters,*
 and the eyes of a maid to the hand of her mistress,
So our eyes look to the Lord our God,*
 until he show us his mercy.
Have mercy upon us, O Lord, have mercy,*
 for we have had more than enough of contempt,
Too much of the scorn of the indolent rich,*
 and of the derision of the proud.

Psalm 127

Unless the Lord builds the house,*
 their labour is in vain who build it.
Unless the Lord watches over the city,*
 in vain the guard keeps vigil.
It is in vain that you rise so early
   and go to bed so late;*
 vain, too, to eat the bread of toil,
   for he gives to his beloved sleep.
Children are a heritage from the Lord,*
 and the fruit of the womb is a gift.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior*
 are the children of one's youth.
Happy are they who have their quiver full of them!*
 they shall not be put to shame
   when they contend with their enemies in the gate.

Psalm 128

Happy are they all who fear the Lord,*
 and who follow in his ways!
You shall eat the fruit of your labour;*
 happiness and prosperity shall be yours.
Your wife shall be like a fruitful vine
   within your house,*
 your children like olive shoots round about your table.
Whoever fears the Lord*
 shall thus indeed be blessed.
The Lord bless you from Zion,*
 and may you see the prosperity of Jerusalem
   all the days of your life.
May you live to see your children's children;*
 may peace be upon Israel.

Glory and Honor (Revelation 4:11; 5:9b)

You are worthy, our Lord and God,
to receive glory and honour and power.

For you have created all things,
and by your will they have their being.

You are worthy, O Lamb, for you were slain,
and by your blood you ransomed for God
saints from every tribe and language and nation.

You have made them to be a kingdom and priests
serving our God,
and they will reign with you on earth.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Ezekiel 3:12-21]:

Then the spirit lifted me up, and as the glory of the
Lord rose from its place, I heard behind me the sound of
loud rumbling; it was the sound of the wings of the
living creatures brushing against one another, and the
sound of the wheels beside them, that sounded like a loud
rumbling. The spirit lifted me up and bore me away; I
went in bitterness in the heat of my spirit, the hand of
the Lord being strong upon me. I came to the exiles at
Tel-abib, who lived by the river Chebar. And I sat there
among them, stunned, for seven days.
At the end of seven days, the word of the Lord came to
me: Mortal, I have made you a sentinel for the house of
Israel; whenever you hear a word from my mouth, you shall
give them warning from me. If I say to the wicked, 'You
shall surely die', and you give them no warning, and do
not speak to warn the wicked from their wicked way, in
order to save their life, those wicked persons shall die
for their iniquity; but their blood I will require at
your hand. But if you warn the wicked, and they do not
turn from their wickedness, or from their wicked way,
they shall die for their iniquity; but you will have
saved your life. Again, if the righteous turn from their
righteousness and commit iniquity, and I lay a
stumbling-block before them, they shall die; because you
have not warned them, they shall die for their sin, and
their righteous deeds that they have done shall not be
remembered; but their blood I will require at your hand.
If, however, you warn the righteous not to sin, and they
do not sin, they shall surely live, because they took
warning; and you will have saved your life.

HYMN
Words: Shirley Erena Murray
Tune: Omni die, Waltham

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l547.html

Loving Spirit, loving Spirit,
you have chosen me to be--
you have drawn me to your wonder,
you have set your sign on me.

Like a mother, you enfold me,
hold my life within your own,
feed me with your very body,
form me of your flesh and bone.

Like a father, you protect me,
teach me the discerning eye,
hoist me up upon your shoulder,
let me see the world from high.

Friend and lover, in your closeness
I am known and held and blessed;
in your promised is my comfort,
in your presence I may rest.

Loving Spirit, loving Spirit,
you have chosen me to be--
you have drawn me to your wonder,
you have set your sign on me.

SECOND READING [Luke 9:18-27]:

Once when Jesus was praying alone, with only the disciples near him, he asked them,
'Who do the crowds say that I am?' They answered, 'John the Baptist; but others,
Elijah; and still others, that one of the ancient prophets has arisen.' He said to them,
'But who do you say that I am?' Peter answered, 'The Messiah of God.'
He sternly ordered and commanded them not to tell anyone, saying, 'The Son of Man
must undergo great suffering, and be rejected by the elders, chief priests, and scribes,
and be killed, and on the third day be raised.'
Then he said to them all, 'If any want to become my followers, let them deny
themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. For those who want to save
their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will save it. What does it
profit them if they gain the whole world, but lose or forfeit themselves? Those who are
ashamed of me and of my words, of them the Son of Man will be ashamed when he
comes in his glory and the glory of the Father and of the holy angels. But truly I tell
you, there are some standing here who will not taste death before they see the
kingdom of God.'

Holy Spirit, Creator,
in the beginning you moved over the waters.
>From your breath all creation drew life.
Without you, life turns to dust.
Come, Holy Spirit!

Holy Spirit, Counselor,
by your inspiration, the prophets spoke and acted in faith.
You clothed them in power to be bearers of your Word.
Come, Holy Spirit!

Holy Spirit, Power,
you came as fire to Jesus' disciples;
you gave them voice before the rulers of this world.
Come, Holy Spirit!

Holy Spirit, Sanctifier,
you created us children of God;
you make us the living temple of your presence;
you intercede within us with sighs too deep for words.
Come, Holy Spirit!

Holy Spirit, Giver of life,
you guide and make holy the church you create;
you give gifts:
the spirit of wisdom and understanding,
the spirit of counsel and fortitude,
the spirit of knowledge and piety,
the spirit of the fear of the Lord,
that the whole creation may become what you want it to be.
Come, Holy Spirit!

True and only Light,
from whom comes every good gift.
Send your Spirit into our lives
with the power of a mighty wind.
Open the horizons of our minds
by the flame of your wisdom.
Loosen our tongues to show your praise,
for only in your Spirit can we voice your words of peace
and acclaim Jesus as Lord. Amen.

Sovereign God, enthroned in the heavens,
look upon us with your eyes of mercy
as we look upon you with humility and love
and fill our souls with your peace;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

God of power,
may the boldness of your Spirit transform us,
may the gentleness of your Spirit lead us,
and may the gifts of your Spirit equip us
to serve and worship you now and always. Amen.

a Eucharistic Prayer in _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993
Westminster / John Knox Press.

Words (c) 1987 by The Hymn Society (admin. by Hope Publishing Co., Carol
Stream, IL
60188).
For permission to reproduce this hymn, contact:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com