OREMUS: 22 May 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon May 21 21:06:42 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Blessed are you, Lord God of all creation,
to you be praise and glory for ever.
Your living Word brings light out of darkness
and daily your Spirit renews the face of the earth.
Christ, the true Lamb, his passion accomplished,
has been raised to the right hand of your majesty on high.
The pioneer of our faith has opened the way to heaven
and sends on us your promised Spirit.
Pour upon us the riches of your grace
that we, the first fruits of your new creation,
may bring forth the fruits of the Spirit
and reveal your glory in all the world.

When I was in trouble I called to the Lord,*
 I called to the Lord and he answered me.
Deliver me, O Lord, from lying lips*
 and from the deceitful tongue.
What shall be done to you and what more besides,*
 O you deceitful tongue?
The sharpened arrows of a warrior,*
 along with hot glowing coals.
How hateful it is that I must lodge in Meshech*
 and dwell among the tents of Kedar!
Too long have I had to live*
 among the enemies of peace.
I am on the side of peace,*
 but when I speak of it, they are for war.

Psalm 121

I lift up my eyes to the hills;*
 from where is my help to come?
My help comes from the Lord,*
 the maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot be moved*
 and he who watches over you will not fall asleep.
Behold, he who keeps watch over Israel*
 shall neither slumber nor sleep;
The Lord himself watches over you;*
 the Lord is your shade at your right hand,
So that the sun shall not strike you by day,*
 nor the moon by night.
The Lord shall preserve you from all evil;*
 it is he who shall keep you safe.
The Lord shall watch over your going out
   and your coming in,*
 from this time forth for evermore.

Psalm 133

O how good and pleasant it is,*
 when a family lives together in unity!
It is like fine oil upon the head*
 that runs down upon the beard,
Upon the beard of Aaron,*
 and runs down upon the collar of his robe.
It is like the dew of Hermon*
 that falls upon the hills of Zion.
For there the Lord has ordained the blessing:*
 life for evermore.

A Song of God's Grace (Ephesians 1:3-10)

Blessed are you,
the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
for you have blest us in Christ Jesus
with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places.

You chose us to be yours in Christ
before the foundation of the world,
that we should be holy and blameless before you.

In love you destined us for adoption as your children,
through Jesus Christ,
according to the purpose of your will,

To the praise of your glorious grace,
which you freely bestowed on us in the Beloved.

In you, we have redemption
through the blood of Christ,
the forgiveness of our sins,

According to the riches of your grace,
which you have lavished upon us.

You have made known to us, in all wisdom and insight,
the mystery of your will,

According to your purpose
which you set forth in Christ,
as a plan for the fullness of time,

To unite all things in Christ,
things in heaven and things on earth.

FIRST READING [2 Chronicles 5:2-14]:

Then Solomon assembled the elders of Israel and all the
heads of the tribes, the leaders of the ancestral houses
of the people of Israel, in Jerusalem, to bring up the
ark of the covenant of the Lord out of the city of David,
which is Zion. And all the Israelites assembled before
the king at the festival that is in the seventh month.
And all the elders of Israel came, and the Levites
carried the ark. So they brought up the ark, the tent of
meeting, and all the holy vessels that were in the tent;
the priests and the Levites brought them up. King Solomon
and all the congregation of Israel, who had assembled
before him, were before the ark, sacrificing so many
sheep and oxen that they could not be numbered or
counted. Then the priests brought the ark of the covenant
of the Lord to its place, in the inner sanctuary of the
house, in the most holy place, underneath the wings of
the cherubim. For the cherubim spread out their wings
over the place of the ark, so that the cherubim made a
covering above the ark and its poles. The poles were so
long that the ends of the poles were seen from the holy
place in front of the inner sanctuary; but they could not
be seen from outside; they are there to this day. There
was nothing in the ark except the two tablets that Moses
put there at Horeb, where the Lord made a covenant with
the people of Israel after they came out of Egypt.

Now when the priests came out of the holy place (for all
the priests who were present had sanctified themselves,
without regard to their divisions), all the levitical
singers, Asaph, Heman, and Jeduthun, their sons and
kindred, arrayed in fine linen, with cymbals, harps, and
lyres, stood east of the altar with one hundred and
twenty priests who were trumpeters, it was the duty of
the trumpeters and singers to make themselves heard in
unison in praise and thanksgiving to the Lord, and when
the song was raised, with trumpets and cymbals and other
musical instruments, in praise to the Lord,
'For he is good,
   for his steadfast love endures for ever',
the house, the house of the Lord, was filled with a
cloud, so that the priests could not stand to minister
because of the cloud; for the glory of the Lord filled
the house of God.

HYMN
Words: Henry Williams Baker, 1874
Tune: Cheshire, Tallis' Ordinal, St. Timothy
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o266.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o
/o266.html

O Holy Ghost, thy people bless
who long to feel thy might,
and fain would grow in holiness
as children of the light.

To thee we bring, who art the Lord,
ourselves to be thy throne;
let every thought and deed and word
thy pure dominion own.

Life-giving Spirit, o'er us move,
as on the formless deep;
give life and order, light and love,
where now is death or sleep.

Great Gift of our ascended King,
his saving truth reveal;
our tongues inspire his praise to sing,
our hearts his love to feel.

True Wind of heaven, from south or north,
for joy or chastening, blow;
the garden-spices shall spring forth
if thou wilt bid them flow.

O Holy Ghost, of sevenfold might,
all graces come from thee;
grant us to know and serve aright
one God in Persons Three.

SECOND READING [Acts 26:19-29]:

Paul said, 'After that, King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the heavenly vision, but
declared first to those in Damascus, then in Jerusalem and throughout the countryside
of Judea, and also to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God and do
deeds consistent with repentance. For this reason the Jews seized me in the temple and
tried to kill me. To this day I have had help from God, and so I stand here, testifying
to both small and great, saying nothing but what the prophets and Moses said would
take place: that the Messiah must suffer, and that, by being the first to rise from the
dead, he would proclaim light both to our people and to the Gentiles.'
While he was making this defence, Festus exclaimed, 'You are out of your mind, Paul!
Too much learning is driving you insane!' But Paul said, 'I am not out of my mind,
most excellent Festus, but I am speaking the sober truth. Indeed the king knows about
these things, and to him I speak freely; for I am certain that none of these things has
escaped his notice, for this was not done in a corner. King Agrippa, do you believe the
prophets? I know that you believe.' Agrippa said to Paul, 'Are you so quickly
persuading me to become a Christian?' Paul replied, 'Whether quickly or not, I pray to
God that not only you but also all who are listening to me today might become such as
I am except for these chains.'

Holy Spirit, Creator,
in the beginning you moved over the waters.
>From your breath all creation drew life.
Without you, life turns to dust.
Come, Holy Spirit!

Holy Spirit, Counselor,
by your inspiration, the prophets spoke and acted in faith.
You clothed them in power to be bearers of your Word.
Come, Holy Spirit!

Holy Spirit, Power,
you came as fire to Jesus' disciples;
you gave them voice before the rulers of this world.
Come, Holy Spirit!

Holy Spirit, Sanctifier,
you created us children of God;
you make us the living temple of your presence;
you intercede within us with sighs too deep for words.
Come, Holy Spirit!

Holy Spirit, Giver of life,
you guide and make holy the church you create;
you give gifts:
the spirit of wisdom and understanding,
the spirit of counsel and fortitude,
the spirit of knowledge and piety,
the spirit of the fear of the Lord,
that the whole creation may become what you want it to be.
Come, Holy Spirit!

True and only Light,
from whom comes every good gift.
Send your Spirit into our lives
with the power of a mighty wind.
Open the horizons of our minds
by the flame of your wisdom.
Loosen our tongues to show your praise,
for only in your Spirit can we voice your words of peace
and acclaim Jesus as Lord. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

God of power,
may the boldness of your Spirit transform us,
may the gentleness of your Spirit lead us,
and may the gifts of your Spirit equip us
to serve and worship you now and always. Amen.

a Eucharistic Prayer in _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993
Westminster / John Knox Press.