OREMUS: 21 May 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun May 20 22:02:00 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Monday, May 21, 2007

Blessed are you, Lord God of all creation,
to you be praise and glory for ever.
Your living Word brings light out of darkness
and daily your Spirit renews the face of the earth.
Christ, the true Lamb, his passion accomplished,
has been raised to the right hand of your majesty on high.
The pioneer of our faith has opened the way to heaven
and sends on us your promised Spirit.
Pour upon us the riches of your grace
that we, the first fruits of your new creation,
may bring forth the fruits of the Spirit
and reveal your glory in all the world.

I was glad when they said to me,*
 'Let us go to the house of the Lord.'
Now our feet are standing*
 within your gates, O Jerusalem.
Jerusalem is built as a city*
 that is at unity with itself.
To which the tribes go up, the tribes of the Lord,*
 the assembly of Israel, to praise the name of the Lord.
For there are the thrones of judgement,*
 the thrones of the house of David.
Pray for the peace of Jerusalem:*
 'May they prosper who love you.
'Peace be within your walls*
 and quietness within your towers.
'For my family and companions' sake,*
 I pray for your prosperity.
'Because of the house of the Lord our God,*
 I will seek to do you good.'

Psalm 125

Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion,*
 which cannot be moved, but stands fast for ever.
The hills stand about Jerusalem;*
 so does the Lord stand round about his people,
   from this time forth for evermore.
The sceptre of the wicked shall not hold sway
   over the land allotted to the just,*
 so that the just shall not put their hands to evil.
Show your goodness, O Lord, to those who are good*
 and to those who are true of heart.
As for those who turn aside to crooked ways,
   the Lord will lead them away with the evildoers;*
 but peace be upon Israel.

Psalm 126

When the Lord restored the fortunes of Zion,*
 then were we like those who dream.
Then was our mouth filled with laughter,*
 and our tongue with shouts of joy.
Then they said among the nations,*
 'The Lord has done great things for them.'
The Lord has done great things for us,*
 and we are glad indeed.
Restore our fortunes, O Lord,*
 like the watercourses of the Negev.
Those who sowed with tears*
 will reap with songs of joy.
Those who go out weeping, carrying the seed,*
 will come again with joy, shouldering their sheaves.

A Song of Judith (Judith 16:13-16)

I will sing a new song to my God,
for you are great and glorious,
truly strong and invincible.

May your whole creation serve you,
for you spoke and all things came to be.

You sent forth your Spirit and they were formed,
for no one can resist your voice.

Mountains and seas are stirred to their depths;
at your presence rocks shall melt like wax.

But to those who fear you,
you continue to show mercy.

No sacrifice, however fragrant, can please you,
but whoever fears the Lord
shall stand in your sight for ever.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Exodus 40:16-38]:

Moses did everything just as the Lord had commanded him.
In the first month in the second year, on the first day
of the month, the tabernacle was set up. Moses set up the
tabernacle; he laid its bases, and set up its frames, and
put in its poles, and raised up its pillars; and he
spread the tent over the tabernacle, and put the covering
of the tent over it; as the Lord had commanded Moses. He
took the covenant and put it into the ark, and put the
poles on the ark, and set the mercy-seat above the ark;
and he brought the ark into the tabernacle, and set up
the curtain for screening, and screened the ark of the
covenant; as the Lord had commanded Moses. He put the
table in the tent of meeting, on the north side of the
tabernacle, outside the curtain, and set the bread in
order on it before the Lord; as the Lord had commanded
Moses. He put the lampstand in the tent of meeting,
opposite the table on the south side of the tabernacle,
and set up the lamps before the Lord; as the Lord had
commanded Moses. He put the golden altar in the tent of
meeting before the curtain, and offered fragrant incense
on it; as the Lord had commanded Moses. He also put in
place the screen for the entrance of the tabernacle. He
set the altar of burnt-offering at the entrance of the
tabernacle of the tent of meeting, and offered on it the
burnt-offering and the grain-offering as the Lord had
commanded Moses. He set the basin between the tent of
meeting and the altar, and put water in it for washing,
with which Moses and Aaron and his sons washed their
hands and their feet. When they went into the tent of
meeting, and when they approached the altar, they washed;
as the Lord had commanded Moses. He set up the court
around the tabernacle and the altar, and put up the
screen at the gate of the court. So Moses finished the
work.
Then the cloud covered the tent of meeting, and the glory
of the Lord filled the tabernacle. Moses was not able to
enter the tent of meeting because the cloud settled upon
it, and the glory of the Lord filled the tabernacle.
Whenever the cloud was taken up from the tabernacle, the
Israelites would set out on each stage of their journey;
but if the cloud was not taken up, then they did not set
out until the day that it was taken up. For the cloud of
the Lord was on the tabernacle by day, and fire was in
the cloud by night, before the eyes of all the house of
Israel at each stage of their journey.

HYMN
Words: Andrew Reed, 1829
Tune: Nun danket all
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/s/s293.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/s/
s293.html

Spirit divine, attend our prayers,
and make this house thy home;
descend with all thy gracious powers,
O come, great Spirit, come!

Come as the light; to us reveal
our emptiness and woe,
and lead us in those paths of life
whereon the righteous go.

Come as the fire and purge our hearts
like sacrificial flame;
let our whole soul an offering be
to our Redeemer's Name.

Come as the dove, and spread thy wings,
the wings of peaceful love;
and let thy Church on earth become
blest as the Church above.

Come as the dew and sweetly bless
this consecrated hour;
may barrenness rejoice to own
thy fertilizing power.

Spirit divine, attend our prayers,
make a lost world thy home;
descend with all thy gracious powers;
O come, great Spirit, come!

SECOND READING [Acts 16:35-40]:

When morning came, the magistrates sent the police, saying, 'Let those men go.' And
the jailer reported the message to Paul, saying, 'The magistrates sent word to let you
go; therefore come out now and go in peace.' But Paul replied, 'They have beaten us
in public, uncondemned, men who are Roman citizens, and have thrown us into prison;
and now are they going to discharge us in secret? Certainly not! Let them come and
take us out themselves.' The police reported these words to the magistrates, and they
were afraid when they heard that they were Roman citizens; so they came and
apologized to them. And they took them out and asked them to leave the city. After
leaving the prison they went to Lydia's home; and when they had seen and encouraged
the brothers and sisters there, they departed.

We pray for God to fill us with his Spirit.

Generous God, we thank you for the power of your Holy Spirit.
We ask that we may be strengthened to serve you better.
Lord, come to bless us.
Fill us with your Spirit.

We thank you for the wisdom of your Holy Spirit.
We ask you to make us wise to understand your will.
Lord, come to bless us.
Fill us with your Spirit.

We thank you for the peace of your Holy Spirit.
We ask you to keep us confident of your love,
wherever you call us.
Lord, come to bless us.
Fill us with your Spirit.

We thank you for the healing of your Holy Spirit.
We ask you to bring reconciliation and wholeness
where there is division, sickness and sorrow.
Lord, come to bless us.
Fill us with your Spirit.

We thank you for the gifts of your Holy Spirit.
We ask you to equip us for the work
which you have given us.
Lord, come to bless us.
Fill us with your Spirit.

We thank you for the fruit of your Holy Spirit.
We ask you to reveal in our lives the love of Jesus.
Lord, come to bless us.
Fill us with your Spirit.

We thank you for the breath of your Holy Spirit,
given by the risen Lord.
We ask you to keep the whole Church,
living and departed,
in the joy of eternal life.
Lord, come to bless us.
Fill us with your Spirit.

God of our joy and gladness,
hear our prayer for the peace of this world
and bring us at last,
with all our companions in faith,
to the peace of that city where you live and reign,
Father, Son and Holy Spirit,
now and to all eternity. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

God of power,
may the boldness of your Spirit transform us,
may the gentleness of your Spirit lead us,
and may the gifts of your Spirit equip us
to serve and worship you now and always. Amen.

a Eucharistic Prayer in _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993
Westminster / John Knox Press.