OREMUS: 20 May 2007

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat May 19 17:42:49 GMT 2007

OREMUS for Sunday, May 20, 2007
The Seventh Sunday of Easter

Blessed are you, Lord God of all creation,
to you be praise and glory for ever.
Your living Word brings light out of darkness
and daily your Spirit renews the face of the earth.
Christ, the true Lamb, his passion accomplished,
has been raised to the right hand of your majesty on high.
The pioneer of our faith has opened the way to heaven
and sends on us your promised Spirit.
Pour upon us the riches of your grace
that we, the first fruits of your new creation,
may bring forth the fruits of the Spirit
and reveal your glory in all the world.

Clap your hands, all you peoples;*
 shout to God with a cry of joy.
For the Lord Most High is to be feared;*
 he is the great king over all the earth.
He subdues the peoples under us,*
 and the nations under our feet.
He chooses our inheritance for us,*
 the pride of Jacob whom he loves.
God has gone up with a shout,*
 the Lord with the sound of the ram's-horn.
Sing praises to God, sing praises;*
 sing praises to our king, sing praises.
For God is king of all the earth;*
 sing praises with all your skill.
God reigns over the nations;*
 God sits upon his holy throne.
The nobles of the peoples have gathered together*
 with the people of the God of Abraham.
The rulers of the earth belong to God,*
 and he is highly exalted.

 sing to the Lord, all the whole earth.
Sing to the Lord and bless his name;*
 proclaim the good news of his salvation from day to day.
Declare his glory among the nations*
 and his wonders among all peoples.
For great is the Lord and greatly to be praised;*
 he is more to be feared than all gods.
As for all the gods of the nations, they are but idols;*
 but it is the Lord who made the heavens.
O the majesty and magnificence of his presence!*
 O the power and the splendour of his sanctuary!
Ascribe to the Lord, you families of the peoples;*
 ascribe to the Lord honour and power.
Ascribe to the Lord the honour due to his name;*
 bring offerings and come into his courts.
Worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness;*
 let the whole earth tremble before him.
Tell it out among the nations: 'The Lord is king!*
 he has made the world so firm that it cannot be moved;
   he will judge the peoples with equity.'<td
colspan=2>
Let the heavens rejoice and let the earth be glad;
   let the sea thunder and all that is in it;*
 let the field be joyful and all that is therein.
Then shall all the trees of the wood shout for joy
   before the Lord when he comes,*
 when he comes to judge the earth.
He will judge the world with righteousness*
 and the peoples with his truth.

A Song of God's Children (Romans 8:2,14,15b-19)

The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus
has set us free from the law of sin and death.

All who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God;
for we have received the Spirit that enables us to cry, 'Abba, Father'.

The Spirit himself bears witness that we are children of God
and if God's children, then heirs of God;

If heirs of God, then fellow-heirs with Christ;
since we suffer with him now, that we may be glorified with him.

These sufferings that we now endure
are not worth comparing to the glory that shall be revealed.

For the creation waits with eager longing
for the revealing of the children of God.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Isaiah 44:1-5]:

But now hear, O Jacob my servant,
   Israel whom I have chosen!
Thus says the Lord who made you,
   who formed you in the womb and will help you:
Do not fear, O Jacob my servant,
   Jeshurun whom I have chosen.
For I will pour water on the thirsty land,
   and streams on the dry ground;
I will pour my spirit upon your descendants,
   and my blessing on your offspring.
They shall spring up like a green tamarisk,
   like willows by flowing streams.
This one will say, 'I am the Lord's',
   another will be called by the name of Jacob,
yet another will write on the hand, 'The Lord's',
   and adopt the name of Israel.

HYMN
Words: Peter Abelard, twelfth century; trans. John Mason Neale, 1854
Tune: O quanta qualia
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o694.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o694.html

O what their joy and their glory must be,
those endless Sabbaths the bless d ones see;
crown for the valiant, to weary ones rest:
God shall be All, and in all ever blest.

What are the Monarch, his court and his throne?
What are the peace and the joy that they own?
O that the blest ones, who in it have share,
all that they feel could as fully declare!

Truly, "Jerusalem" name we that shore,
city of peace that brings joy evermore;
wish and fulfillment are not severed there,
nor do things prayed for come short of the prayer.

There, where no troubles distraction can bring,
we the sweet anthems of Zion shall sing;
while for thy grace, Lord, their voices of praise
thy bless d people eternally raise.

Now, in the meantime, with hearts raised on high,
we for that country must yearn and must sigh,
seeking Jerusalem, dear native land,
through our long exile on Babylon's strand.

Low before him with our praises we fall,
of whom and in whom and through whom are all;
of whom, the Father; and in whom, the Son;
and through whom, the Spirit, with them ever One.

SECOND READING [Ephesians 4:7-16]:

But each of us was given grace according to the measure of Christ's gift. Therefore it is
said,
'When he ascended on high he made captivity itself a captive;
   he gave gifts to his people.'
(When it says, 'He ascended', what does it mean but that he had also descended into the lower
parts of the earth? He who descended is the same one who ascended far above all the heavens, so
that he might fill all things.) The gifts he gave were that some would be apostles, some prophets,
some evangelists, some pastors and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for
building up the body of Christ, until all of us come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge
of the Son of God, to maturity, to the measure of the full stature of Christ. We must no longer be
children, tossed to and fro and blown about by every wind of doctrine, by people's trickery, by
their craftiness in deceitful scheming. But speaking the truth in love, we must grow up in every
way into him who is the head, into Christ, from whom the whole body, joined and knitted
together by every ligament with which it is equipped, as each part is working properly, promotes
the body's growth in building itself up in love.

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
Jesus our exalted Lord has been given all authority.
Let us seek his intercession
that our prayers may be perfected by his prayer.
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, Great High Priest,
living for ever to intercede for us,
pray for the Church, your broken body in the world.
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, King of righteousness,
enthroned at the right hand of the Majesty on high,
pray for the world, and make it subject to your gentle rule.
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, Son of Man,
drawing humanity into the life of God,
pray for your brothers and sisters in need, distress or sorrow.
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, Pioneer of our salvation,
bringing us to glory through your death and resurrection,
surround with your saints and angels
those who have died trusting your promises.
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, Lord over all things,
ascended far above the heavens and filling the universe,
pray for us who receive the gifts you give us
for work in your service.
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ,
keep the Church in the unity of the Spirit
and in the bond of peace,
and bring the whole created order
to worship at your feet;
for you are alive and reign with the Father
and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever. Amen.

O God, the King of glory,
you have exalted your only Son Jesus Christ
with great triumph to your kingdom in heaven:
Do not leave us comfortless,
but send us your Holy Spirit to strengthen us,
and exalt us to that place
where our Savior Christ has gone before;
one God, in glory everlasting. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

God of power,
may the boldness of your Spirit transform us,
may the gentleness of your Spirit lead us,
and may the gifts of your Spirit equip us
to serve and worship you now and always. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from _Common
WorshipServices and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from
which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council,
2000.

The closing sentence is from in _New Patterns for Worship_, copyright (c) The
Archbishops' Council, 2002.